• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruno Ganz (Hitler in Downfall/Der Untergang) dead at 77

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
One of Switzerland and Germany's most revered actors, Bruno Ganz, passed away at age 77. Ganz was suffering from cancer. Ganz played in many roles, from Wings of Desire to The Reader.

NY Times:
Perhaps his most talked-about role was as Hitler in “Downfall” (2004), the first major German work to present a portrayal of the Nazi leader.

“Nothing prepared me for what must be the most convincing screen Hitler yet,” Rob Mackie wrote in his review of “Downfall” in The Guardian. “An old, bent, sick dictator with the shaking hands of someone with Parkinson’s, alternating between rage and despair in his last days in the bunker.”

Most of Mr. Ganz’s more than 80 films and television movies were European productions, among them Mr. Wenders’s film noir hommage “The American Friend” (1977), with Dennis Hopper, in which he played a German with a terminal-illness diagnosis who agrees to be a hit man; Volker Schlöndorff’s “Circle of Deceit” (1981), as a war correspondent in Beirut; Werner Herzog’s “Nosferatu” (1979), as the innocent Jonathan Harker; and Barbet Schroeder’s “Amnesia” (2017).
RIP, Mr. Ganz.

UnterHitlerTraan.jpg
Source:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/obituaries/bruno-ganz-dead.html

More info:
His filmography.

Bonus:
There was strong reaction to his portrayal of Hitler (including a slew of angry-führer internet memes), but Mr. Ganz always insisted he was the mildest-mannered of introverts.

“I like to walk. I like to read. I like to watch people,” he told The San Francisco Chronicle in 2005. “I’m very curious.”

With that in mind, let us watch him play a battle of Bunkermon and Super Hitler Kart.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Aww :( he was really incredible in der untergang

Bruno Ganz was an amazing actor, sad to see him go.

The Reader is a really faithful adaptation of the even better book by Bernhard Schlink. A brilliant take on legal positivism and judicial procedure as the right of the eloquent in the tragic character of Hanna Schmitz, beautifully portrayed by Kate Winslet. Highly recommended!

Hudo

As a German who usually doesn't like German films, I can say that "Der Untergang" is the second best German film ever. (First best being "Das Boot"). Sad to see Bruno Ganz go.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Bruno Ganz was an amazing actor, sad to see him go.

The Reader is a really faithful adaptation of the even better book by Bernhard Schlink. A brilliant take on legal positivism and judicial procedure as the right of the eloquent in the tragic character of Hanna Schmitz, beautifully portrayed by Kate Winslet. Highly recommended!

Agreed. I watched this back in December as part of my Netflix backlog and just went in there with a blank mind. It was a good movie, really good material regarding nazism and jurisdiction.

Also the relationship symbiosis was something to say the least.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah, he was amazing in Downfall. I’ve recommended that movie to so many people. He leaves a proud legacy.

Top Bottom