• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brutal Legend on Steam : yes, it is ($15)

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
He's actually really great. He's a much better (less annoying?) voice actor than he is a real actor. Did you enjoy School of Rock? Because he's basically the same character.

This. Remember that the script was still written by Tim Schafer and crew. He actually fits really well voicing Eddie.

I want to get it, I really do...
But I hate, hate, HATE Jack Black. I just want to punch that stupid face.

23872153.jpg

So my purchasing decision is entirely dependent on one thing: How annoying is Jack Black in Brutal Legend? Is he Nacho Libre level annoying?

Well, he really does the role well, but I like Jack Black and if you find him annoying in everything you probably would also find him annoying in this.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

23872153.jpg

So my purchasing decision is entirely dependent on one thing: How annoying is Jack Black in Brutal Legend? Is he Nacho Libre level annoying?

I despise Jack Black, possibly even more then you. He's great in Brutal Legend. No really, he is.

Zeliard

Jack Black is one of the best things about the game. He's a great match for Schafer's dialogue style. I hope they team up again some time, if not for Brutal Legend 2 (in a better world) then something else.

OH wow a PC release?? that's good news. I loved loved loved the whole premise and setup of this game, but couldn't stand playin the RTS segments with a contoller. Time to rock the fuck out!!

Minsc

Gold Member

I also normally dislike Jack Black, but found him enjoyable as the leading role for the game. His normal quirks are still there in the game, but the atmosphere from the game plays in to his style better than I would have expected. If there's a way for you to watch the first 15 minutes (the whole intro + some gameplay), you'd get a good sense of it I think, don't know if the intro is in the 360 demo, but if not it's probably on youtube.

Keasar

23872153.jpg

I am not very fond of him usually either but believe me, he does a terrific job in Brütal Legend.

Tenrius

No one has recieved their items yet (as far as I know), we will probably get them in an hour when it's supposed to be released.

I actually launched TF2, got the in-game notification and they were there. I also vaguely remember it working the same way with all my pre-orders. So yeah, I definitely have them.

Xyber

I actually launched TF2, got the in-game notification and they were there. I also vaguely remember it working the same way with all my pre-orders. So yeah, I definitely have them.

Huh, launched my game yesterday and nothing. Guess I'll do that no then.

Edit: Launched my game and got the now. Although I can't sell them on market, they are not sellable or tradable. Does this change after a while?

Tenrius

Huh, launched my game yesterday and nothing. Guess I'll do that no then.

Edit: Launched my game and got the now. Although I can't sell them on market, they are not sellable or tradable. Does this change after a while?

Yes, it's always like this.

In the mean time, my download is almost over!

EDIT: That's probably the best title screen I've ever seen, along with the intro sequence.

jett

D-Member
What the...this runs like crap on my PC. :/ Especially once you get the car, stutters all over. Granted it's pretty dated but it meets the minimum requirements. :p

So for anyone just starting this, there's issues with some sou d effects being low quality and a few are missing, and that's along with some other stuff is going to be fixed in a few hours apparently.

I thought it was weird that the monster in the beginning had no roar :p

What the...this runs like crap on my PC. :/ Especially once you get the car, stutters all over. Granted it's pretty dated but it meets the minimum requirements. :p

Haha, I suppose minimum requirements = able to run the executable. Doesn't say anything about it running WELL.

Post your specs and in-game settings and we'll see if we can't help. It runs fantastic for me, so I'd hate to see someone not having a similar experience.

HoosTrax

I think I might just hold off on playing this for a few days or so, while the initial bugs get ironed out. Should probably finish up my Sonic Generations playthrough instead. Three years? What's another few days.

Patch Notes for the patch that just dropped:

**2/26/13 Patch**
This is the first patch to the released game. Another patch will be released soon, but we wanted to get these fixes out to everyone immediately:

Major Improvements:

* Fixed audio compression settings in cutscenes
* Fixed mouse cursor not hiding during the game
* Lamprey audio stream now plays
* Earth shaker button prompts work
* Added a safety feature so that you are unblocked even if the map doesn't display at the completion of the intro sequence

Major Known Issues:

• Missing cutscene at the end of the bridge in the tutorial
• Vehicle jittering in cutscenes
• Frame rate stuttering on some machines

Good to know some of this was addressed so soon.

• Frame rate stuttering on some machines

That right there is the biggest issue affecting quite a number of people according to the Steam community discussions.

Game runs really smoothly at first, then after the bit when you get the car (like jett mentioned above), the framerate stutters like crazy....

Quite frustrating considering the really, really low requirements of the game.

jett

D-Member
Haha, I suppose minimum requirements = able to run the executable. Doesn't say anything about it running WELL.

Yeah well, pretty much everything else runs well on my poor old PC. :p Even when it's below the alleged minimum requirements! :p

Post your specs and in-game settings and we'll see if we can't help. It runs fantastic for me, so I'd hate to see someone not having a similar experience.

C2D@1.86, AMD 4670, 3GB. Changing resolution or settings doesn't make much of a difference.

edit: looking at the community hub people with better PCs than me are having the same issue.

Yeah well, pretty much everything else runs well on my poor old PC. :p Even when it's below the alleged minimum requirements! :p

C2D@1.86, AMD 4670, 3GB. Changing resolution or settings doesn't make much of a difference.

edit: looking at the community hub people with better PCs than me are having the same issue.

I've the exact same card but in a laptop and clocked to the same speeds. No wonder we have the same problems. Using a faster C2D variant at 2.8 GHz though.

EDIT:- Damn, don't you ever think of overclocking that C2D? At 1.86 GHz it must be choking, and you're on a desktop :p

jett

D-Member
I've the exact same card but in a laptop and clocked to the same speeds. No wonder we have the same problems. Using a faster C2D variant at 2.8 GHz though.

EDIT:- Damn, don't you ever think of overclocking that C2D? At 1.86 GHz it must be choking, and you're on a desktop :p

Yeah...unfortunately when I bought the thing a bad friend recommended I got an intel MB... (they don't allow OC)

Salsa

only truly annoying thing im getting is some mild to massive stuttering even though the game runs at 60fps all the time

Been playing for the better part of two hours. Brutal Legend looks fantastic with SMAAX2. Truly fantastic. I had one issue with performance, i was in my car driving near water and then fps went to 15. Had to completely quit the game and come back in to get it back to 60. I do notice seams where the trees/rocks connect with the land, just some very light black seams. Other than those two issues, the game has run supremely well for me. 60 fps consistently with no microstutter that seem to be effecting others, granted i've a decent rig(i7-920@4ghz/GTX 680/12gbs ram). I couldn't be happier with this game right now. More than anything, i'm pissed I have to go to work tomorrow.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
DF Nathan has said a patch is due to drop around 6PM PST (so any minute now) which will address visual glitches and some performance related issues.

Tenrius

Alt-tabing the game when in the main menu gives you a black screen in place of the background video (you can still see the arrows).

PaulloDEC

What does this even do?

From DFNathan on the Steam forums:

BL has two main "threads" for computation - the simulation and the renderer. The simulation thread is what runs the game logic, physics, AI, etc. When it's done, it makes a "snapshot" of the entire world and then hands that off to the renderer. In original BL, the simulation was fixed at 30 fps. For single player in BL PC, we allow you to change that to run at 60 fps, which is what the Hi Fi sim option does.

The render thread takes snapshots produced by the simulation and then does the work to send them to the GPU for rendering. In original BL, the renderer was tied to the simulation, so it could only make new frames as often as it got them from the simulation, i.e. 30 fps. In BL PC, if your computer is fast enough, the renderer will generate new snapshots that "interpolate" between ones provided by the simulation, which allows you to render faster than the sim. This feature works regardless of if your sim is 30 or 60 fps.

New patch is out again. Seems to fix some of the major issues some are having. A problem i've noticed is that the tutorials don't show properly when using a m/kb. The controls function as they should, but the tutorials that teach you new things just don't appear. I had to look up a youtube clip as i had forgotten the controls. Still, i love this damn game. I really like the RTS sections, it's so fast paced and exciting. I guess i'm weird. I'm having more fun than when i played on the Xbox so many years ago.

Minion101

Banned
From DFNathan on the Steam forums:

BL has two main "threads" for computation - the simulation and the renderer. The simulation thread is what runs the game logic, physics, AI, etc. When it's done, it makes a "snapshot" of the entire world and then hands that off to the renderer. In original BL, the simulation was fixed at 30 fps. For single player in BL PC, we allow you to change that to run at 60 fps, which is what the Hi Fi sim option does.

The render thread takes snapshots produced by the simulation and then does the work to send them to the GPU for rendering. In original BL, the renderer was tied to the simulation, so it could only make new frames as often as it got them from the simulation, i.e. 30 fps. In BL PC, if your computer is fast enough, the renderer will generate new snapshots that "interpolate" between ones provided by the simulation, which allows you to render faster than the sim. This feature works regardless of if your sim is 30 or 60 fps.

i8WYufn3Xjjyx.gif

In laymans terms, hi-fi mode is 60 fps mode. Leave it off and you'll be locked at 30.

Its off by default after the last patch which still gives me 60 fps and things actually seem smoother now for some reason. I have no clue what hi-fi actually does.

SparkTR

Its off by default after the last patch which still gives me 60 fps and things actually seem smoother now for some reason. I have no clue what hi-fi actually does.

Compare the animations, without hi-fi mode on they look really jerky/stuttery while the rest of the game is running at a high framerate. It reminds me of Bioshock when the physics engine was locked to 30fps.

Compare the animations, without hi-fi mode on they look really jerky/stuttery while the rest of the game is running at a high framerate. It reminds me of Bioshock when the physics engine was locked to 30fps.

I noticed the exact opposite. Also, with hi-fi on I see a slight amount of ghosting on trees and rocks. Particularly around where the object meets the world.

There's a distinction between how many times per second the game simulation (physics, animation, etc.) updates, and how many times the renderer (the frames themselves that you see) updates. You can run the simulation at either 30fps or 60fps (hi-fidelity sim mode). But regardless of how fast the simulation is cycling, the game renderer will still interpolate BETWEEN those simulation states and toss up as many frames as your graphics card can manage.

Hopefully that makes sense. Basically, you don't need the hi-fi sim to get "60fps," it's more a matter of how accurate to the simulation the frames you're seeing are.

There's a distinction between how many times per second the game simulation (physics, animation, etc.) updates, and how many times the renderer (the frames themselves that you see) updates. You can run the simulation at either 30fps or 60fps (hi-fidelity sim mode). But regardless of how fast the simulation is cycling, the game renderer will still interpolate BETWEEN those simulation states and toss up as many frames as your graphics card can manage.

Hopefully that makes sense. Basically, you don't need the hi-fi sim to get "60fps," it's more a matter of how accurate to the simulation the frames you're seeing are.

So are you saying that you'll get a more accurate representation of what you actually want to happen in game with Hi-Fi on? What is the issue that people are having with it on? I really didn't notice too much of a difference between the two, with the exception of sometimes(rarely) during a cut-scene I'd see ghosting of the characters/backrounds(trails) It seemed to stop after I had turned it off. But on that note, I only played for another 35 mins. with it off so maybe it just didn't come up again. Regardless, I'm getting 60 fps. I'll do some more investigating.

Minion101

Banned
I think there is some weird engine feature that makes the animations chop to keep the rest of the game running at 60fps. It looks like ass.

So are you saying that you'll get a more accurate representation of what you actually want to happen in game with Hi-Fi on? What is the issue that people are having with it on? I really didn't notice too much of a difference between the two, with the exception of sometimes(rarely) during a cut-scene I'd see ghosting of the characters/backrounds(trails) It seemed to stop after I had turned it off. But on that note, I only played for another 35 mins. with it off so maybe it just didn't come up again. Regardless, I'm getting 60 fps. I'll do some more investigating.

I honestly don't think that in a game like this it makes any meaningful gameplay difference whether the sim is running at 30fps or 60fps--I think that would only really be a factor in something like a super-precise fighting game where every animation frame counts. But hey, no reason not to have the option available. Just use whichever version makes the game more playable for you.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Even though I run this at 60fps all the time, I get some odd jitter. The first time you control the car it was noticeable. Also, shadows are cut off and rotate as you move around.

Top Bottom