• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Budget developer falcom is making the best jrpg stories.

SantaC

I have recently finished the fantastic YSVIII and are currently making my way through the trails series.

Theyre budget games, but still made with care. The plot is often better then the more known JRPG companies like Square-Enix or Bamco.

I mean they're not Shakespeare worthy script, but atleast they're not a total shitshow compared to the latest Final Fantasy games as an example.

Really enjoying Trails of Cold Steel III now.

Fbh

What would you say is their game with the best plot? I'm always in for a JRPG with a good plot/characters but they are hard to come by.

I played like 15 hours of Trails in the Sky some years ago and it didn't really grab me. The intro was really slow and even 15 hours in it felt like nothing much had happened, and the main character was annoying as hell.

SantaC

What would you say is their game with the best plot? I'm always in for a JRPG with a good plot/characters but they are hard to come by.

I played like 15 hours of Trails in the Sky some years ago and it didn't really grab me. The intro was really slow and even 15 hours in it felt like nothing much had happened, and the main character was annoying as hell.
Play trails of cold steel as theyre more modern. The plot is has a lot of lore with villians and surprising twists.

Teens go to military academy to train in a special force unit.

They have Persona elements in them with social bonding.

Last edited:

Fbh

Play trails of cold steel as theyre more modern. The plot is has a lot of lore with villians and surprising twists.

Teens go to military academy to train in a special force unit.

They have Persona elements in them with social bonding.

Thanks, I'll check out some reviews and videos.

But I'll need some strong convincing if the setting is as generic as teens in anime highschool/academy. I really like Fire Emblem and straight out skipped Three Houses because I can't stand that shit.

SantaC

Thanks, I'll check out some reviews and videos.

But I'll need some strong convincing if the setting is as generic as teens in anime highschool/academy. I really like Fire Emblem and straight out skipped Three Houses because I can't stand that shit.
First game is setting up all the plots and are more social oriented

The sequels are more action oriented.

Havent played fire emblem three houses

Last edited:

Life

They're all the same essentially....protagonist with a mysterious past, possible amnesia, special and distinct abilities - meets random people along the way and triumph over villains that want to rule the world.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
They're all the same essentially....protagonist with a mysterious past, possible amnesia, special and distinct abilities - meets random people along the way and triumph over villains that want to rule the world.
So, a JRPG?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, the Trails series has been great. It's kind of incredible they're able to release these games on the timeline they're on (obviously owing in part to the relatively low-rent visuals).

Top Bottom