• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Bullying' UK retailers reject Steam-enabled PC games

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/308337/news/bullying-retailers-reject-steam-enabled-pc-games/

Russian giant 1C has told CVG that a recent "command" from a major outlet/s was sent to publishers, warning that any PC title containing Steamworks "would not be stocked"

Speaking in a fascinating new CVG interview on the subject of how Steam and digital distribution has helped 1C flourish, UK publishing director Darryl Still told us:

"Steam do not dictate at all. They are supremely easy to deal with and superbly competent at what they do.

"Their confidence in their offering, which pays no heed to any rival in-store activities, compares very favourably to that of the retail chains - who recently sent a command to publishers that if they include Steamworks in their title it will not be stocked. Those guys need to grow up, stop bullying, and focus their attentions on making their offerings as attractive as the people they are obviously looking over their shoulders in panic at."

In the interview, Still boils down the difference between selling a game on store shelves and selling online, via Steam or its other partners such as Green Man Gaming and Gamersgate.

"Well the easiest way is to look at a sale of a game made today," he commented. "Let's say one of our titles was sold through a till in a retail store right now for, say, £20. After retail report the sale to our third party publisher - at the end of the quarter following sale - and they then report the sale to us - 60 days after receiving their cut - 1C would receive around £7 for the sale of the game. That would come into our bank, in around September.

"But if we sold the same game through someone pushing the download button at one of our digital partners' websites for the same £20, we would net £14 - twice as much - into our bank by the end of May; three or four months' sooner."]

1C, the second-biggest European owned publisher in the world, is the creator of bestselling PC series such as IL-2 Sturmovik, Men Of War and Kings Bounty.

This is why Brink and a number of THQ titles were pulled from the UK store before launch.

markot

Banned
Apparently they want to start selling new games instead of just reselling second hand ones? Weird direction.

Ploid 3.0

Steam enabled games usually mean I can't load them without booting up steam first. Steam Works games need to have steam works as an option.

Hixx

Not stocking Steamworks games is disgraceful and once again its the consumers that get fucked over as it means Steamworks features won't be widely adopted while stuff like this happens. One more reason to avoid the GAME chains of stores.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Ploid 3.0 said:
Steam enabled games usually mean I can't load them without booting up steam first. Steam Works games need to have steam works as an option.
I don't see the issue?

smurfx

get some go again
your fault retailers for shitting on pc gaming for so long that you let a company like steam get so powerful. pc gaming has been going the download route for a long time now but i don't see console gaming ever going this way. as soon as they start trying the retailers will kill them.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
First Origin.com and now this.

Rocky times for Steam ahead.

Hardly. No one can match Steam. Can't blame publishers for trying to setup their own DD service but it will never be Steam.

Steamworks is nice and all but it sucks that you can't resell any games that use it. That's probably the main point of contention among retailers since most of them are eyeing the used market.

I, for one, have been pretty pissed at Steamworks a couple of times in the past because it has landed me with the broken Black Ops and the outright shit Brink (aka, a total of £55 down the drain).

iNvid02

retailers just trying to keep themselves afloat really, the digital shadow is getting quite big.

the way they are doing it is pretty shitty, but i don't see another option.

maybe im bias, i kinda like retail a lot due to the physical items and prices

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Des0lar said:
I don't see the issue?

Not everyone wants to link their games to a single profile on steam.

I actually agree with him, I would much prefer to have steamworks as an option on a retail disc.

Garjon

Bloody hell, no wonder the retailers' stocks are plummeting. They are not in a position to command this sort of tactic and until they wake up to reality, then they deserve every loss they get.

Also, will these be the real cause for the Crysis 2 on Steam debacle?

Jinko

Retails stores are going to have to deal with this or move with the times and provide their own download store.

Will they refuse to stop stocking MS and Sony games when they decide to go DD next gen as well ?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Pleeeease just let physical retailers die out already, I want the DD future.

iNvid02

Jinko said:
Retails stores are going to have to deal with this or move with the times and provide their own download store.

Will they refuse to stop stocking MS and Sony games when they decide to go DD next gen as well ?

consoles won't be all dd, maybe a few popular titles or older ones but retail discs are not going anywhere. i dont think they'll try this with console games as they make a hell of a lot more money off them

NekoFever

So consumers can't buy the game in stores, buy it on Steam instead, realise how good Steam is, and never buy a retail PC game again. Valve agents doing their job to topple the retail games market from the inside.

Marco1

The reason they won't stock them is because there is no second hand market with DRM PC games.
The faster GAME closes, the better it will be. I despise them with a passion.
All I ever got from them was, would you like to purchase insurance with that and the second hand version is £5 cheaper.
I have not bought anything from them in 2 years and never will.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Steamworks is nice and all but it sucks that you can't resell any games that use it. That's probably the main point of contention among retailers since most of them are eyeing the used market.

I, for one, have been pretty pissed at Steamworks a couple of times in the past because it has landed me with the broken Black Ops and the outright shit Brink (aka, a total of £55 down the drain).

When have you ever been able to sell PC games? Or am I just misunderstanding what you said.

Corky said:
Pleeeease just let physical retailers die out already, I want the DD future.

Not I. I love GameFly, it's saved me 100's of dollars.

markot

Banned
NekoFever said:
So consumers can't buy the game in stores, buy it on Steam instead, realise how good Steam is, and never buy a retail PC game again. Valve agents doing their job to topple the retail games market from the inside.
Brink and something else, I forget, were pulled from Steam though due to all this in the UK >.<

markot

Banned
RedSwirl said:
So, Steam is gonna face hard times ahead because it's too good?
image-09.gif

Detox

The weird thing is the games GAME group don't want Steam selling but they sell support Steamworks and are still sold on other DD services. I hope this doesn't happen to Bethesda's other games but it probably will. They only allow you to pre-order on Steam, when the game launches it disappears from Steam.

hamchan

NekoFever said:

Or consumers buy steamworks game from retail, realise how good Steam is, and never buy a retail PC game again.

Win win for Valve!

So they're mad because someone else is making a large profit in something that they lazily tossed aside and ignored? Game and Gamestation are pathetic. Even if it isn't them, they're still terrible.

alstein

flyinpiranha said:
When have you ever been able to sell PC games? Or am I just misunderstanding what you said.

In the late 90s, the Gamestops and EBs had used PC games for sale.

Stopped about the time the PS2 came out.

That said, I understand why the retailers are doing this, but who needs the retailers? The only games I'd ever even consider buying retail are the 20-30GB install games just to avoid downloading, but those games usually are sub-par anyways.

Boerseun

Banned
They are basically saying: "Make games that don't need me connected to the Internet to install and play them, and I'll buy them."

It makes no sense to force gamers who have bought a boxed game at retail to connect and register at an on-line retailer.

The store you bought it at has every right to be annoyed, as they are practically providing free advertising for a competitor (Steam). At the same time, gamers are hassled by being locked into yet another corporate relationship they did not want, and having to yet again provide personal information to yet another third-party.

Valve are either stupid for not considering the above, or need to have their ethical compasses recalibrated.

iceatcs

Why retailers?. I love UK bomba price.

Steam sale is ok but too slowly price down for new release title.

This is sort of like the PSP Go thing, why stock it when people aren't going to buying games from you? I can see their concern but you'd think they would be more concerned about how they can improve their business and get people to buy in GAME rather than Tescos, ASDA, etc.

SmokyDave

Joseph Merrick said:
selling steamworks titles at retail would be fine by me if they printed "SUBSCRIPTION" on the boxes
Why? Subscription implies some sort of ongoing costs?

....Aaah, I see. Yeah, Steam has put a monthly dent in my wage-packet. Damned irresistible deals!

Boerseun

Banned
Chuck Norris said:
Aren't there laws against this sort of anti-competitive practices?

I've often wondered how Steam has gotten away with it this long.

Surely they shouldv'e been checked in the U.S. (with its many related laws) long before Europeans starting making an issue of it?

darkpaladinmfc said:
The worst thing about Steam is that it's almost too good.

That meme is the result of a terrible review of a terrible game. Let it die, please.

coopolon

flyinpiranha said:

Always? And you still can except for Steam works games (edit: which you actually still can as well as long as you register it to new accounts and then just sell the account). Just have to do it individual to individual (as facilitated by the interwebs.) Retailers got out of it a long time ago though (for obvious reasons, there's a lot more risk involved because of how CD keys/DRM work), but it's still possible and some people still do it pretty regularly.

Linkified said:
I believe your not allowed to resell used PC software of any type by law, at least in the UK.

And you are legally allowed to resell console games? That seems like a pretty crazy rule.

Linkified

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I believe your not allowed to resell used PC software of any type by law(Note: This refers to disk versions only e.g. games, accountacy software, etc.), at least in the UK.

dani_dc

It's funny because I rarely get PC games at retail since I went digital, and Steamworks ended up working as an incentive for me to buy PC games at retail.

As far as I'm concerned it's their loss for not carrying Steamworks games.

Boerseun said:
They are basically saying: "Make games that don't need me connected to the Internet to install and play them, and I'll buy them."

Are you white-knighting the retail stores because you think they are doing this because they oppose DRM?

It makes no sense to force gamers who have bought a boxed game at retail to connect and register at an on-line retailer.

I personally preferred non-intrusive DRM from the good ol' days where I had to find my manual and type in codes to be allowed to play instead of just clicking "ok."

The store you bought it at has every right to be annoyed, as they are practically providing free advertising for a competitor (Steam).

This is akin to saying retailers should stop supporting games that use Xbox Live because they sell full games via DD there.

At the same time, gamers are hassled by being locked into yet another corporate relationship they did not want, and having to yet again provide personal information to yet another third-party.
How much personal information is required to sign up for Steam?

Valve are either stupid for not considering the above, or need to have their ethical compasses recalibrated.

How could Valve do this to us! Their elegant feature-laden DRM solution has really put us over the barrel as consumers. Why can't anybody else see that the retailers who provide no service at all are the good guys here.

Ceebs

Ploid 3.0 said:
There is a program called phoenix that lets you do exactly what you want. It installs the game without needing Steam. (You will need to go locate a cracked exe for your game to play it though.)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
flyinpiranha said:

I'd like that aswell if I was presented with the option, until then : DEATH TO ALL NON BELIEVERS!

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Maybe read reviews for PC games before? Or wait at least a week till their out? Ideally, if you're so bothered by certain things then you could just as easily check some general reviews or GAF opinions.

Top Bottom