• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Devs - 'It's TOO Hot. I cant work!'

Kholinar

Banned
I bet people who do manual labor outdoors are still working, Devs who get to work indoors should have AC, if not $200 will get you one on Amazon and problem solved... sort your own shit out.
Don't give a shit about what manual labor people are doing. All that matters is that the developers are working according to their limits, and not being forced to exceed them for ungrateful customers like you. Thankfully, that's what's occuring. Seethe.

Papacheeks

Banned
Agreed, half these comments are really retarded. It's not a competition to see who can handle the highest temperatures.

The devs are complaining about their computers overheating. Working as a dev if my computer kept shutting down because of overheating I wouldn't be able to get shit done.

I think my issue is not that its happening or that a company that is having issues with extreme heat shuts down for the day. In a case where it's a unheard of temp I get it, shit needs to be shut down before further damage happens we had that happen at one point in our Master Control when one of the chillers went down.

But Found ways around it. Obviously this situation is unique, but my whole point is why are they still working from home? AND why tweet about it when its obvious the whole area is having similar issues? Just have bungie put out a message that they are closing down to conserve power and keep people safe.

I hate when people literally just want to make it about them when literally like others pointed out, people were fucking dying.

G Boaty

Banned
I bet people who do manual labor outdoors are still working, Devs who get to work indoors should have AC, if not $200 will get you one on Amazon and problem solved... sort your own shit out.
I also bet those same people doing manual labour would happily finish the day early if their boss told them to go home because it was too hot.

Bungie is such an annoying studio. Imagine complaining about it being too hot to work on your laptop while sitting on your ass in your nice Seattle apartment. Remember these were the guys that instantly delayed all their projects when it became in fashion to virtue signal that crunch is bad for the industry. Has been that are just leeching off their whales until destiny fizzles out.

Also fuck Jason is and stupid pretentious profile picture. Fucking slimy twat. Sorry doods I've been losing in strive. Mad cuz bad. Fuck Bungie!

JCK75

Don't give a shit about what manual labor people are doing. All that matters is that the developers are working according to their limits, and not being forced to exceed them for ungrateful customers like you. Thankfully, that's what's occuring. Seethe.

It's perfectly fine to allow them to go home, but the issue is there is a solution to the problem and at the very least the company should be willing to pay for air conditioning for their workers if heat is a problem impacting their work.

Umbasaborne

Banned
While i agree global warming is a fucking problem. Shcreiers shitty smug judgy attitude isnt helping anyone. The dude rails against toxicity online while coming across like a holier than thou jerk in everything he posts. Hes a great reporter, but he seems like a real ass on twitter

After Texas was relentlessly mocked for all the issues we faced when it was 10 degrees and snowing back in February, forgive me but.....suck it up buttercup. I was without power and water for almost 10 days.

Are Texans really that insecure or is it just you?

"We had it bad, now you can have it bad and have people dying from the weather...buttercup"

The tweet saying they shut down was at 4:50 PM... this thread is reacting to nothing lol

Wanted to get that at the top of the page lol

It's cooler today, I'm sure everyone is working.. I'm sure many kept working into the evening yesterday too, this whole thing is probably based on bosses saying "we can call it a day."

People lost power.. internet, etc. yesterday too in the area.

No!

I refuse to let a chance of virtue signaling how fucking hard and tough I am compared to these gender fluid millennial soybeans!
I work in a warehouse next to the devils asshole and use a gunholster fashioned from lace cause I AM A MAAAN.

Won’t someone think of the software engineers who are to stupid to buy a portable AC, or go to a work office

Working while it is hot is something millions of people do all the time. suck it up
Too stupid to buy portable ac?

dude they were sold out across the state. I walked into a Home Depot and watched a new pallet full of crappy window AC units sell out in seconds. Best Buy had signs on their doors claiming they were out of stock. People couldn’t find them.

it was hotter in Seattle that 99.5 percent of the freaking planet this past weekend in an area that is used to a temperate year round climate. Buildings here don’t have ac. People don’t own portable ac because they don’t need it.

when suddenly they did, they rushed online and in stores and cleared the damn shelves in minutes. It was the toilet paper crisis all over again. And even if you got ac, there were power outages throughout the area! Issaquah was almost completely down for a full day. The hottest day!

I mean I’m not saying it was the apocalypse over here, but is it safe to say with rolling blackouts, ac shortages and a record breaking heat wave impacted the production of a video game company for a few days? I mean yes. Yes of course it did.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

If Eververse goes down I'm sure those laptops will start working just fine
That doesn't say anything. Emergencies will force some people to internet cafes and coffee houses that have aircon, or some IT people to the office to handle any hardware needs. However, a regular workday isn't an emergency. We're talking hours or days. It's not the end of the world. They're not losing revenue, and the gamers aren't losing time either. Any delays in release that this will cause are miniscule. Some people have completely lost perspective in here...if they ever had any to begin with.

Balboa

That doesn't say anything. Emergencies will force some people to internet cafes and coffee houses that have aircon, or some IT people to the office to handle any hardware needs. However, a regular workday isn't an emergency. We're talking hours or days. It's not the end of the world. They're not losing revenue, and the gamers aren't losing time either. Any delays in release that this will cause are miniscule. Some people have completely lost perspective in here...if they ever had any to begin with.
It was just a dumb joke, sorry

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For real, straight dumb dumb replies in this thread. Love the ones with the boomeresque logic: "I had it worse, therefore you should/can have it worse". Like yeah, I'm sure a bunch of software coders wouldn't do too well going straight into construction work in the blistering heat. Likewise, imagine the games that would be made if the uneducated and quite honestly most of the time incompetent construction workers were put in an office and told to code.

Bragging about having to work in shit conditions for extremely low pay while ruining your body in a few years is honestly kind of a beta male thing. Like congrats, you're flexing because you decided not to get an education or self-teach and now get rustled jimmies when somebody literally can't do their job because of the heat.
If PCs dont work due to heat thats one thing. If it doesnt work it doesnt work.

But if it does work, get to work.

You bring up construction workers. Guess what? In super heat and cold they are out there working and putting up buildings. It's not like buildings come tumbling down when they work in the summer. So if they can do it for days straight and be physical labour meaning there's a physical danger if something goes wrong with tools or machinery, how can it be that hard for some computer people do work in their house or office in 40 C heat if their PCs work?

In the 90s, I had a shitty min wage summer job working on a hot ass machine making tool bits and hand tools. It was so hot, the place had to leave the giant back door open and the machines would overheat sometimes. So you had to let it cool down and some technician came by to check it. Then an hour or two later you get back on. Sweaty as hell. And even worse, when you purge the machine of materials at the end of the day (so it doesn't harden and clog the machine), the melted polypropalyne (sp.) would ooze out and you had to dump it into a metal trash bin. You get any of that shit on your bare skin and it'll leave a mark. And making it hotter was the standard attire was overalls and steel toe shoes. No tshirts or sandles in this kind of environment.

There were many of us working on hot archaic machines all summer. And it worked. If we could do it, why cant coders sitting at a desk do their job in heat for a week?

Last edited:

NoviDon

Just go to home depot and buy an AC unit? or order one and it'll be at your house in a few days? installation service is cheap too if your too prissy to put it in yourself.

G Boaty

Banned
Just go to home depot and buy an AC unit? or order one and it'll be at your house in a few days? installation service is cheap too if your too prissy to put it in yourself.
Lots of people did, so they quickly sold out everywhere. Do you really think no one thought to buy an AC unit?

besides waiting “a few days” does nothing to help the record breaking temperatures happening “today”.

Last edited:

Gp1

For those who dont know. There is a heat wave going on in the U.S Pacific Northwest...

Just a normal day in Rio or North/Northeast Brazil... And here we have another aggravating factor, the humidity here usually makes the hot weather so much worse than hot and dry like you guys usually have in US.

You already can work from anywhere snowflakes, so at least make your work environment good enough so you can... WORK. Buy a cheap portable or wall mounted ac unit and stop complaining.

This is all pretty non-controversial. I guess hearing anyone discussing climate change is triggering for certain people. Reminds me of a frog boiling in water calling everyone else stupid for saying the water is hot.

1) If a private company is having equipment issues, it makes sense they'd shut off the equipment and then work on fixing it.
2) Man affecting climate change is not controversial at this point. The US military war-games out all the numerous possibilities for the upcoming unrest and potential resource wars. Just read the first sentence. https://www.army.mil/standto/archive/2021/05/14/

Seattle just hit the all-time high for recorded temperatures twice in a row this week.

This Is Fine GIF
Exactly. Parts of Western Massachusetts hit as high as 102F. July has just begun...

G Boaty

Banned
Just a normal day in Rio or North/Northeast Brazil... And here we have another aggravating factor, the humidity here usually makes the hot weather so much worse than hot and dry like you guys usually have in US.

You already can work from anywhere snowflakes, so at least make your work environment good enough so you can... WORK. Buy a cheap portable or wall mounted ac unit and stop complaining.

No one you quoted is actually complaining though.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Gp1
It was hotter here where I am in the UK yesterday and I worked a full 8 hour day at home just fine

Remember also, AC is rare in the UK
No, it wasn't over 100f in the UK. It's not been that hot this year. Nowhere near.

Edit - just looked up the hottest day of the year in the UK so far it isn't not even 85F so you're talking straight up bull crap. Why'd you do that?

Last edited:

Unk Adams

Banned
The decline in quality of Bungie games through the years (including the Halo series) now makes total sense when you understand the mentality of the current developers at the company. They can't develop games because of the "weather" but they have plenty of time to whine on social media about it. Makes total sense. It's funny how the heat doesn't overheat whatever laptop they're using the type their pity stories.

G Boaty

Banned
The decline in quality of Bungie games through the years (including the Halo series) now makes total sense when you understand the mentality of the current developers at the company. They can't develop games because of the "weather" but they have plenty of time to whine on social media about it. Makes total sense. It's funny how the heat doesn't overheat whatever laptop they're using the type their pity stories.
this is such a wild thing to leap to from “It was hot one day and our equipment was overheating so our management let us finish work early one day”

who even updates Twitter from a laptop and not their phone hahahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

Alex11

I don`t want to offend anyone,or give the wrong impression,if someone feels offended,I apologize.

In Europe,in the city where I live,summers usually are very hot,the average isn`t very high : 22 C(72 F)
But every year in June,July and August we have at least 1 week of high temps : 38 to 42 C(100 to 108 F) ,and I don`t have AC in my apartment,and the temps in the room where 28 to 32 C(82 to 90).
I have a potato PC for 10 years now,in these summers the fans run like crazy,never had a shutdown due to heat.Maybe it`s different for a laptop,I don`t know,not an expert.

Sidesalad

Hottest day ever recorded? Dang. Pretty crazy we’re considered to be living in an ice age too, ha.

I work in Phoenix, a city which could not exist without AC in every building and home. Last time our AC went out, the house was 95 within a couple days. New AC unit cost $10k. Sounds like Seattle might be getting some installed.
Yup, it got to 93 in the house, and we have plenty of trees, so we had it easier than most. AC are installers about to be booked for the next three years around here.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
From June 29th
iGgwVFi.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don`t want to offend anyone,or give the wrong impression,if someone feels offended,I apologize.

In Europe,in the city where I live,summers usually are very hot,the average isn`t very high : 22 C(72 F)
But every year in June,July and August we have at least 1 week of high temps : 38 to 42 C(100 to 108 F) ,and I don`t have AC in my apartment,and the temps in the room where 28 to 32 C(82 to 90).
I have a potato PC for 10 years now,in these summers the fans run like crazy,never had a shutdown due to heat.Maybe it`s different for a laptop,I don`t know,not an expert.

I have a 2 ton split unit in my bedroom with PC and it's usually kept around 20C, but when rendering videos CPU's, at least, stay at full boost until it's finished, so the CPU with all the cooling can go from 32C average up to 55-60C. Laptops are much worse than desktops. We have 13 AC's total at home, 3 floors. It's extremely rare goes beyond 33C all-year-round though, and hits 40+ once/twice every decade or so.

Being hot ain't bad if you're used to it. For those who aren't acclimated to it, such as those who live in the Pacific northwest. I imagine it sucked pretty bad.

I'm the exact opposite. I spent years working 12 hour shifts in a plant that manufactured styrofoam cups. Company wouldn't allow thermostats or anything to be displayed in case OSHA came in. 120F was the norm. I've spent summers framing and decking houses in DFW and Wichita Falls Texas. I can function perfectly fine in the hottest temps, and with the highest relative humidity.

I have a coat that I've used maybe 3 times in the past 4-5 years, and that's because if it gets below freezing, my ass is staying in the house. I hate the cold. Everything is stiff, everything that your knuckle hits feels it was a 10lbs sledge. Everything from driving to walking is way slower. Ears hurt if exposed.

Everyone's a badass when it comes to the climate they live in. People from Seattle will feel alone and stressed when they go to the desert. People from the desert will suffer from depression if they spend too much time in Seattle due to the overcast weather. Different strokes for different folks.

Call freak occurrence of cold weather proof that climate change isn't real = not okay.
Call freak occurrence of hot weather proof that climate change is real = okay.
Sure thing. Queue the bullshit.

Kev Kev

Almost as entitled as reading the thread title and posting without glancing at the 10 pages of posts already written.
Oh come on man just give him the information he asked for, no reason to be an asshole like that
Can someone explain to me why these developers aren't back in the office? If you can't work at home, go into the air conditioned building you were paid to work at and stop complaining. The entitlement is unreal.
Because it’s rare for it to get above 95 in the pacific north west, most businesses, buildings, restaurants, establishments, etc., do not have AC. And the ones that do aren’t designed to be effective above 95 F, so they literally break or lock up. I don’t think they even turn them on once it gets that hot, just so it doesn’t break down and then they have to replace it. I think that’s incredibly short sighted and dumb but that is the reality they are dealing with atm. Why all those people don’t have window units already (like, had bought them years ago just in case they had a couple summer days that was a bit too hot or uncomfortable) is also short sighted and dumb, and I think it’s kind of on them too. As far as finding a window unit now, they are sold out everywhere so no one can find one unless they travel across a few states to get one.

It’s a cluster fuck that could have been avoided if they had back up window units. Like I said earlier, my ass is getting a window unit as soon as it starts to get in the 80s. I can’t imagine a scenario where these people just figured they would suffer through 85-90F weather but I guess that’s what they did that bc it was rare. Now that’s it’s 100+ they are freaking out. Like, hey dumby, didn’t you stop to think that having a window unit just in case it gets a little hot during summer might not be a terrible idea?

Anyway… yeah. They literally can’t get away from the heat if they don’t have a window unit. Cant imagine why one would leave the self so vulnerable to summer heat like that but that’s what’s happening, and now it’s just going to evolve into a global warming story instead of we didn’t think to buy a window unit story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom