• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie update: would females like a female voice spartan in MP?/big news next week

Tieno

If you thought there was a lot of Halo information last week, wait ‘til next week. A bunch of stuff is going down to celebrate the 5th anniversary of a little game we like to call Halo. In November 2001, Halo launched alongside the Xbox console, and the rest is history. Next year, Halo 3 will conclude the story arc begun all those years ago and next week, we’ll take a long lingering look at the series to date. There will also be some pretty BIG surprises and maybe announcements. Who can say?

Hey, ladies. Yeah, I’m talking to you, ladies. It has come to my attention that a significant chunk of our playership is female. I myself am constantly pooned and then humped by ladies. That is not sexy like it sounds, btw. It’s humiliating. Anyway, one of the things we’re looking at for Halo 3 multiplayer (Master Chief is all man) is adding a female voice to the Spartan character should you choose it as part of your custom character.

If we do it, it won’t be comical, stereotypical or insulting – we’ll pick a great, strong female actress who can pull off bloodcurdling death cries and rattles. And we’re not promising anything, we’re just trying to gauge interest. If you girls think it would be cool, then comment in the forums, spam me with PMs or start a petition on your own sites and forums. Then we’ll have to listen. If you think it’s pointless and patronizing and you’re happy just being a dude, then say so.

If you ARE a dude, we don’t care what you think, because we’re not asking you. Anyone who says anything stupid or sexist in the discussion forum will be megabanned.

read the rest here http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?cid=9170

u know (like in the MMOs) most Girl Spartans running around will be played by Men virtualy crossing dressing as Women (like in the MMOs)

Zaptruder

Banned
In the absence of a nice pair of ass and tits, that often draws me to play a female toon in MMOs (after all... there's nothing particularly great about looking at some guy's butt for the thousand or so hours you play a MMO, if you're not into that)... there's no real reason to pretend to be female 'voice'. Unless of course you want guys hitting on you. Yeah.

when I played my 1st 3 months stint of Guild Wars,, all my 4 characters that I created where Female characters

main reason was because I didn't like the Male designs in that game, they made them very generic and average

but the Female characters looked way better in character design wise and had alot more choices of faces and hair

anyway, personnaly it's a matter of character design choice.. weather it's relevant or not

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I hope they make armor that conforms to her physique

:>

Or better yet, just get a chick in a Master Chief armor but give her a deep voice like Dr.Girlfriend

omg :drool

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'd actually be interested to see an update detailing how they plan to make the game look better than gears of war. :D

Burai

shitonmychest57
Tieno said:
Euhm, they're asking the female gamers in Halo.

Yeah, I'm sure there are loads of them.

It's a publicity stunt first and foremost. The only reason they are prompting the community to set up petitions and websites is because it'll net them a shit-ton of free publicity. I mean, why would you need to ask people to petition you?

They've already got this sorted and six months from now they'll be able to tell the press that they're awesome and that they "listened to the community" and some MGS shill will be able to shoehorn a talk about how female gamers are catered for on Xbox 360 during GDC or whatever big gaming event is coming up.

It's so transparent.

GhaleonEB

Burai said:

It's a publicity stunt first and foremost. The only reason they are prompting the community to set up petitions and websites is because it'll net them a shit-ton of free publicity. I mean, why would you need to ask people to petition you?

They've already got this sorted and six months from now they'll be able to tell the press that they're awesome and that they "listened to the community" and some MGS shill will be able to shoehorn a talk about how female gamers are catered for on Xbox 360 during GDC or whatever big gaming event is coming up.

It's so transparent.
It's Halo ****ing 3. It's existence is the best publicity of all. Of all the things that could generate publicity, a request for fan input about a female voice for MP is pretty close to the bottom of the list. It could be a neat feature, but they don't know how to prioritize it. So they asked the fans. Fans have lots of ways to communicate - forums, emails, petitions, articles. Soliciting feedback in those formats in one paragraph of a regular weekly update hardly constitutes a publicity stunt.

Put down that (now empty) glass of Hatorade, and chill.

Burai

shitonmychest57
GhaleonEB said:
It's Halo ****ing 3. It's existence is the best publicity of all. Of all the things that could generate publicity, a request for fan input about a female voice for MP is pretty close to the bottom of the list. It could be a neat feature, but they don't know how to prioritize it. So they asked the fans. Fans have lots of ways to communicate - forums, emails, petitions, articles. Soliciting feedback in those formats in one paragraph of a regular weekly update hardly constitutes a publicity stunt.

Put down that (now empty) glass of Hatorade, and chill.

Oh, come on.

Why would you need to ask people to interact with you over the issue? It simply boils down to hiring an actress and getting her to say some lines and then adding an option to character setup to make your spartan either male or female. It's not going to completely derail the development process and it's not going to wreck their development budget. They already created the female spartan model for use in DOA4.

They know this is their way of getting some free publicity about how far reaching Xbox 360 and it's software is. "Why buy a Wii when girls are demanding Xbox 360 and Halo 3?"

I don't have a problem with what they are doing. It's all just PR gumph. It's just astonishing how many intelligent people actually think they need people's input on such an unimportant issue and that there will actually be women responding to this.

Interesting but as it's already been pointed out I would see more males using the character to hear the voice actress more than anything.

Then again I could be wrong. ;)

Nutter

Burai said:
They know this is their way of getting some free publicity about how far reaching Xbox 360 and it's software is. "Why buy a Wii when girls are demanding Xbox 360 and Halo 3?"

Anything wrong with that? It is extremely clear that this stuff is not for people like you.. So why are you in this thread?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Burai said:
Oh, come on.

Why would you need to ask people to interact with you over the issue? It simply boils down to hiring an actress and getting her to say some lines and then adding an option to character setup to make your spartan either male or female. It's not going to completely derail the development process and it's not going to wreck their development budget. They already created the female spartan model for use in DOA4.

I don't have a problem with what they are doing. It's all just PR gumph. It's just astonishing how many intelligent people actually think they need people's input on such an unimportant issue and that there will actually be women responding to this.

^worst post ever.

Rlan

deadoralive420051021052xl9.jpg

Did she have a voice at all?

GhaleonEB

Burai said:
Oh, come on.

That's literally one of the dumbest things I've ever read here. congratulations. :lol

Snaku

Banned
Tieno said:
If we do it, it won’t be comical, stereotypical or insulting – we’ll pick a great, strong female actress who can pull off bloodcurdling death cries and rattles.

Oh great.

xenanarrowweb300x5200ga7.jpg

Just what I needed to hear. -_-

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Burai said:

It's so transparent.

Oh noes my scheme is busted! My attempt to derail the Wii jugegrnaut by putting another voice file in the customize character UI. EXPOSED!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Eric WK

A big Halo 3 announcement isn't that surprising considering what comes out on Friday.

Has to be a release date or (wishful thinking) some sort of demo announcement, I would think. I guess we'll see.

Rlan: yes she did, to my english ear I didn't like it much, the grunts were fitting but her intro speech always made me laugh, still does a little bit.

She spoke in english, only japanese when it was MP or a greatest win.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Gotta love the two retarded posts in this thread about something so normal as asking the female Halo players what they think...

"oh no, Bungie is asking the fans opinion on something they may want added in it's a ploy!"

So stupid...

These guys are one of the few devs that actually communicate and respond to fan requests and ideas... the REAL fans appreciate this, as I'm sure they already know...

Anyways, I can't wait for next week's special Bungie Weekly Update now - should be niiiiiiiiice!

Top Bottom