• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burn-age: How do I stop this excruciating pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pouring some boiling hot water and my finger accidentally slipped and some water hit my left hand. I hear that you're supposed to rub vaseline or some other kind of lotion to soothe the pain, I did that, it only made it worse. Right now the only way of soothing the pain is dipping my hand in some cool water. What else can I do to make it stop?

the water wasn't hot enough to make the skin peel off, but it really does feel like a bunch of tiny heated needles are jabbing through my knuckles. Its really troublesome because its pretty late and I don't know if I'll be able to sleep if this keeps up.

lightless_shado said:
I was pouring some boiling hot water and my finger accidentally slipped and some water hit my left hand. I hear that you're supposed to rub vaseline or some other kind of lotion to soothe the pain, I did that, it only made it worse. Right now the only way of soothing the pain is dipping my hand in some cool water. What else can I do to make it stop?

the water wasn't hot enough to make the skin peel off, but it really does feel like a bunch of tiny heated needles are jabbing through my knuckles. Its really troublesome because its pretty late and I don't know if I'll be able to sleep if this keeps up.

Run cold water over it for like 10 minutes. It won't fix it permanently but it will ease your pain.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
the last time i got a burn where the pain wouldn't go away but there wasn't any skin damage i just left it in cool water for 30 minutes or longer until it stopped.

a bowl with cool water. had to refill a few times.

i browsed the internet soaking it.

Korey

Run your hand through running water or a container of water and ice. It moves the heat away from your hand. Vaseline just seals the burn in I think.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Run cold water over it for like 10 minutes. It won't fix it permanently but it will ease your pain.

You DO NOT want to use "cold" water, or anything frozen. Instead wrap your hand in a damp cool wash cloth. This will transfer heat away from your skin and at the same will keep air off the burn.

Korey said:
Run your hand through running water or a container of water and ice. It moves the heat away from your hand. Vaseline just seals the burn in I think.

AngelSoldier said:
You DO NOT want to use "cold" water, or anything frozen. Instead wrap your hand in a damp cool wash cloth. This will transfer heat away from your skin and at the same will keep air off the burn.

Umm guys, are we really talking about some kind of lasting heat when it comes to the pain of a burn? It's nerve damage.

AngelSoldier said:

What? Why not? What is the difference between "cold" and "cool"? Why is "cold" worse than "cool"? Explain yourself.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
What? Why not? What is the difference between "cold" and "cool"? Why is "cold" worse than "cool"? Explain yourself.

Because cold water will constrict blood vessels potentially setting up bigger problems, and it could make the pain seem stronger and last longer because the bodies natural pain killers won't be able to flood the area.

Slavik81

If you burn yourself, immediately douse your hand in cold, running water. When you burn yourself, you don't instantly get hurt. It takes some time for the heat you absorbed to damage you. By immediately cooling the area, you can prevent some damage.

Korey

LaserBuddha said:
Umm guys, are we really talking about some kind of lasting heat when it comes to the pain of a burn? It's nerve damage.
If it's in the moments after getting burned, running cold water on it will minimize the damage (to the point that you might not even be injured/burned at all if you're fast enough).

If it's like hours already and the damage has already been done then it probably won't do anything except as a comfort tool (numbing)

Well I would HOPE he didn't make this thread mere moments after getting burned. Not that any response would have come in time anyway.

Medalion

Banned
lightless_shado said:

slowpav2hgen.png

Slavik81

Its been maybe an hour or 2 since it got burned. I've tried putting it in colder water and that seems to be helping more

edit: and I did run the hand under some cold water for maybe a minute after the burn then afterwards I put it in a bowl full of cool water up until now. I guess the temperature really made the difference because now that its in colder water the pain isn't as harsh

Poyunch

I'm an expert see, I was certified to be perform first aid, and I was taught to run cold water on it. Buuuuuutttttt I have not renewed the license for two years so you're getting help from an unlicensed practitioner... on the Internet.

Avaran

Aloe Vera gel after cold water is very helpful in reducing pain and long-term effects after a small burn.

Much better than any other lotion, it sort of moisturizes the affected area and prevents it from drying out, I use that every time something like that happens.

dalin80

Banned
Aloe vera will be your best friend, I keep a plant at home in case I burn myself at work, cut a 'leaf' off, peel the outer skin away and apply the gooey goodness.

SpacLock

I burn myself all of the time, and whether it's from flame, boiling water or sun, here's some proven methods that may help:

Dip some paper towel into milk and wrap it around the burn.

put mustard on it and let it sit.

Buy some Solarcaine and spray it on the burn.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Echoing cold water and aloe vera.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Get a large bowl, fill it with cold water, dozen or so ice cubes, plunge burning area into it until it stops burning.

If it's a serious burn, try not to keep it in water too long or wrap it in a bandage first otherwise it'll blister like crazy.

edit: aloe vera works but only after the burning sensation begins to subside.

Suairyu

Banned
Upon receiving a burn, immediately thrust the area under a cold, running tap and leave it there for five minutes. If you're quick enough about it, you can avoid the worst of the symptoms of a burn.

Other than specially medicated burn ointments, rubbing shit like vaseline or (as the old wives' tales go) butter does jack shit.

1-D_FTW

dalin80 said:
In fact iam going to recommend everyone gets one of these-

aloe-vera-plant-care.jpg

It is brilliant at treating so many skin issues.

Yup. I suppose a bottle of aloe vera would do the same thing, but nothing like having an aloe vera plant for that very reason. Even better, if you live in a warm climate, just plant one in the yard and forget about it until you need it one day.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just got a really bad burn yesterday. Splashed smoking hot oil on my hand, and now I have some definite 2nd degree burns. It's been nearly 24 hours and the pain is still pretty excruciating and I haven't slept. Doctor just said to wrap it...tried that for a while but the pain is so bad that I need to keep it under cool running water constantly.

TheExodu5

Banned
Trying just polysporin with lidocaine right now. Hurts so bad. The burning sensation feels like the smoking hot oil is still on my hands. For once I wish the doctor prescribed some strong opiates. Codein doesn't do shit.

Basically the worst pain I've ever felt, going on for 24 hours now.

daw840

I know it sounds crazy, but regular yellow mustard will heal that shit fast. When I worked as an oil change technician I would burn my arms and hands constantly and that stuff worked better than any of the ointments you could get.

sn00zer

COld Water Vitamin E pills crack em open and put it on the wound....no joke...they would do this for bad burns in the plastics factory I worked in

TheExodu5

Banned
Well...one of two things worked. Either doubling up on asperin + codeine and tylenol + codeine killed a lot of the pain, or stopping the cool water treatment and allowing circulation to return brought the pain down naturally. That first half hour was agony, though.

uguus

Neo Member
One time when I burnt my hand I used honey??
It kinda worked but I'm like 95% positive that it was a placebo effect.
imho you should just take all the condiments from your fridge and see which ones are the most effective.
You know, for science.

It's all about heat transfer. Run it under cold water. Putting anything thick/insulating (gels that don't dry)on it is gonna keep the heat in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom