• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout Dominator for PS2 and PSP

ShowDog

Do they really look very different from Burnout Revenge except with bullshot anti-aliasing, and extra particle effects (some which look like they might be too small to even see on an SD set), and brighter colors? I don't think so.

Edit: Revenge was already an amazing looking game btw, so I'm not saying they look bad.

plagiarize said:
everything but the shot with the HUD on it have been touched up in much the same way that shots for burnout revenge were touched up. imagine some aliasing, and a bit poorer texture filtering and you'll be about there though. that or just look at the shot with the hud, which considering what revenge looked like on the PS2, is totally possible.

Here's the last ps2 Burnout:
919649_20040907_screen023.jpg

Which is why i was suspicious the aliasing is waay too amazing in those screen shots, so yeah I get what you mean now.

darksquirrel said:
919649_20040907_screen023.jpg

Which is why i was suspicious the aliasing is waay too amazing in those screen shots, so yeah I get what you mean now.
uhm. yeah. wow. gamespot are notorious for awful screenshots of stuff that make them look much worse than they really looked.

that's one of them.

this is a much better screenshot

burnout4.jpg

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
darksquirrel said:

Uh Burnout Revenge looked just a wee bit better than that gameshot capture.

It's well know their capture equipment is complete ass.

EDIT: the Url to that says 2004, yet burnout Revenge came out in '05.

omg rite said:
Uh, that's not the last PS2 Burnout.

Yeah i noticed i posted burnout 3:takedown right after i did it. Ugh, but yeah after checking out better screen shots i now see the light (gamespot seriously does need better capture equipment) so i'm fairly psyched to see this on the ps2. Hopefully they add enough new stuff to make it worthwhile.

Agent X

The Faceless Master said:
THE RETURN OF THE COMBO METER!!?

if this game plays like burnout 1 and 2 and not the easy mode sequels... OMG!!!

It seems that way. This GameSpot interview points to the gameplay being more like the earlier games in the series. Here are a pair of quotes from that interview:

We wanted to create a game that celebrated the essence of Burnout and the reckless skill-based racing and fear of crashing that fueled the first games.

As previously mentioned, Burnout Dominator is all about celebrating the essence of Burnout: the thrill of driving as dangerously as you can without crashing. The thing that has also struck me about the Burnout series is people's physical reactions to missing a head-on collision or to finding a small gap between two lorries--there aren't many other games where people are so animated when they play. As a team we wanted to create a game that revolved around rewarding you achieving these moments.

Rlan

I.. didn't like Burnout 2. Loved Burnout 3. Burnout 4 would have been great, but the ability to kill cars in front of you didn't work out, and it had some HORRIBLE loading times [They fixed this in the 360 version a little bit, who wants to wait 10 seconds for a camera to go all the way back to the start? not me!]

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Burnout 4 was just amazing looking on PS2 in progressive scan, and load times were fine with HDLoader. Even the X360 version didn't have such thick lighting and rock solid 60fps (although it was obviously better looking in just about every other way).

That game is really one of the posterchilds for PS2 technology done right, if they can make this one look even better that would be amazing.

BO2 was awesome in its own way. BO3 was awesome in its own way. Two different type of games. BO4 was good but various gameplay aspects made the gameplay experience less than awesome for me.

I'd really like to see some BO2 type gameplay again.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Marconelly said:
Burnout 4 was just amazing looking on PS2 in progressive scan, and load times were fine with HDLoader. Even the X360 version didn't have such thick lighting and rock solid 60fps (although it was obviously better looking in just about every other way).

That game is really one of the posterchilds for PS2 technology done right, if they can make this one look even better that would be amazing.

Thought I spent alot of time on Burnout Revenge on the PS2 I just started playing it this week on the 360... the game is f'n gorgeous from the small amt of time I've played on it... it almost feels like a completely different game. I think the draw distance makes running in oncoming traffic easier, but it's been awhile since I've played the PS2 version and that's just my thought from memory.

DarienA said:
Thought I spent alot of time on Burnout Revenge on the PS2 I just started playing it this week on the 360... the game is f'n gorgeous from the small amt of time I've played on it... it almost feels like a completely different game. I think the draw distance makes running in oncoming traffic easier, but it's been awhile since I've played the PS2 version and that's just my thought from memory.
Yeah, I've been playing a little more Revenge 360 lately and I've played a lot of the Xbox version, the draw distance and sharper resolution I've found actually helps a lot in seeing further in front of you (especially oncoming traffic).

yep. hd helps a lot with traffic. taking out the stupid swing meter in crash mode was a great move as well. i love crash mode in revenge now after hating it on the last gen versions.

Top Bottom