• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bush VS Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bush tried to bully Canadian officials on missile defence during his visit last month by linking Canada's participation to future protection from the U.S., the Washington Post reported Sunday. The newspaper quoted a Canadian official who was in the room as saying Bush waved off their attempts to explain how contentious the issue is for Prime Minister Paul Martin's minority government. "(Bush) leaned across the table and said: 'I'm not taking this position, but some future president is going to say, Why are we paying to defend Canada?' " the official was quoted as saying. Ooo, slick Mr Bush, slick.

The President must have been having a difficult time understanding that other nations' politics are sometimes deeper than his own, thus difficult and complex to work with. Bush "waved his hands and remarked: 'I don't understand this. Are you saying that if you got up and said this is necessary for the defence of Canada, it wouldn't be accepted?' " Uh, not so slick...
Source

darscot

If Canada has anything to with this missle defense nonsense I might even get off my no hockey frustrated ass and vote the PM right the hell out.

Socreges

Banned
Canada, Fuck Yeah!

It's not easy standing up to the States like this, considering how easily they can punish us. But at the same time there's some value in acting as a sovereign, far be it from Mr Bush to recognize that.

darscot said:
If Canada has anything to with this missle defense nonsense I might even get off my no hockey frustrated ass and vote the PM right the hell out.
Just let us know when you call the election so we can participate.

SickBoy

Clearly, having an 800-pound gorilla as your neighbour offers a lot of protection (rattle its cage and what will it do?), but aside from its proximity to us, I'm not clear on what protection the U.S. is "paying" for.

Perhaps its protection like dropping a 500-pound bomb on Canadian troops doing a training mission or something...

Socreges

Banned
SickBoy said:
Clearly, having an 800-pound gorilla as your neighbour offers a lot of protection (rattle its cage and what will it do?), but aside from its proximity to us, I'm not clear on what protection the U.S. is "paying" for.
That's a good question.

There's NORAD, which allows the US military to fly in, and protect, Canada's air-space.

...but that's more of a partnership than something that is granted to either country.

Socreges said:
It's not easy standing up to the States like this, considering how easily they can punish us. But at the same time there's some value in acting as a sovereign, far be it from Mr Bush to recognize that.
If the article is true, then it's awesome that it's being published. Then our northern neighbours may better understand what they are dealing with. May you succeed where we failed.

Fresh Prince said:
And people said that Anne Coulter had a minority view in the American public ehh.
ehh. She has the view that apparently plays the role in decision making. However, if Canada were to be invaded by someone and the US does still does nothing, then the world has changed a LOT.

Saturnman

Banned
Socreges said:
That's a good question.

There's NORAD, which allows the US military to fly in, and protect, Canada's air-space.

...but that's more of a partnership than something that is granted to either country.

The US is paying for its own protection, the benefit the Canadians get out of it is merely a side-effect. The US doesn't want an enemy to gain a foothold right next door from itself or have a bunch of nuclear missiles explode near its border.

Ultimately, what they want is a stable neighbour, largely dependepent on the US. Latin America was less fortunate with a series of American invasions and American-engineered coups.

That sounds like crudely worded protectionism something you would hear from a barbary coast pirate or something.

I'm sure that someone somewhere has explained to Bush that any country physically connected to the US is going to benefit by default from our military strength weather we want to "pay" for their protection or not.

Not to put them in the mix but, wouldn't it be silly to "pay" for Isreal's protection and not "pay" for Canada's?

Socreges

Banned
Saturnman said:
The US is paying for its own protection, the benefit the Canadians get out of it is merely a side-effect. The US doesn't want an enemy to gain a foothold right next door from itself or have a bunch of nuclear missiles explode near its border.

Ultimately, what they want is a stable neighbour, largely dependepent on the US. Latin America was less fortunate with a series of American invasions and American-engineered coups.
Are you just adding to what I said, or actually replying to me? Because I knew all that.

8bit

Knows the Score
_buch.jpg

Azih

This is the craziest part of the article.
'I don't understand this. Are you saying that if you got up and said this is necessary for the defence of Canada, it wouldn't be accepted?' "
How many people in the States just accept what the President says? Really really odd concept to me.

fallout

'I don't understand this. Are you saying that if you got up and said this is necessary for the defence of Canada, it wouldn't be accepted?'
To which he added, "Geezus Horton, what kind of dictatorship are you running here?"

You know Canada if you all were brown you wouldn't have to worry about this. You don't see Bush bothering Mexico with any Missle Defence.

Culex

Banned
I can't remember the name of the jet fighter Canada was building a decade back, but it was so much more advanced than the then current F-16, it was ridiculous. We (the US) basically went over and destroyed all the plans and prototype jets.

firex

Culex said:
I can't remember the name of the jet fighter Canada was building a decade back, but it was so much more advanced than the then current F-16, it was ridiculous. We (the US) basically went over and destroyed all the plans and prototype jets.
no, no, you're thinking of what Steinbrenner did covertly to the Toronto Blue Jays.

Crandle

Culex said:

What are you talking about? The Liberals were in power a decade ago and they certainly wouldn't have pursued something like that. And before that our government had excellent relations with the U.S.

You might mean the Avro Arrow, which was very advanced for the time, but that was a) in the 1950s (my grandfather helped design it, actually) and b) not directly shut down because of the U.S.

maharg

idspispopd
The Arrow was shut down because it was hopelessly over budget and the per jet cost was massive compared to contemporary jets. It's a shame our defense aerospace industry basically died with it, though. It could have been a rough start but instead it was a death knell.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Culex said:

The above is a completely and utter falsehood... shame on you.

Boogie

Culex said:

No more crack for you, mmkay?

maharg

idspispopd
Eh, he's not as wrong as all that. The arrow was an interceptor, not a fighter, and it was being made in the 50s not the 90s, but it was a very advanced jet for its time. Hell, as an interceptor it probably is still very advanced because there's been no R&D on interceptors for a long time because of rise of ICBMs.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The Avro Arrow was the most advanced airplane at the time, it could outrun and out maneuver any plane from any country... upon the cancellation of the arrow program, all the designs and whatnot were cut up and burned to prevent any possibility of any country getting the designs.

Supposedly if the plane was still in production today, it would still do fairly well with current planes

Shinobi

SickBoy said:

Perhaps its protection like dropping a 500-pound bomb on Canadian troops doing a training mission or something...

:lol Don't get me started...

The US is actually buying many of its armored vehicles from Canada. Most of the world is standardizing the technology in armored personel carriers and fast attack vehicles. and Canada has been pretty succesful building them.

Regardless, missile defence is so bullshit. The first few rounds fired in a nuclear war will likely not be as clean as people think. Any commercial airliner that clears customs in it's native country could theoretically just be a shell for a nuclear weapon. With that sort of device, you don't even have to land the plane, just fly it over a city at a certain height and press play.

Other than that, how many thousands of miles of unguarded coast is there in north america? Hell, load a weapon on the back of a 1/2 ton in Canada, drive it across a farmer's field at the border in Manitoba / North Dakota and then it is pretty much clear sailing all the way to a metropolitan area.

How many containers on a container ship do you think customs actually checks? Hell, if found out, detonating a weapon on a container ship in port would do significant damage to the surrounding area.

Its sad how undefended the world really is and a space based piece of shit isn't going to do dick to someone with the means and the motivation. Lets hope to hell it never happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom