• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

I'm looking at Sony's 4k flagship line without the 3D tech. Any opinions on those?

Check out rtings for pretty good reviews. I was looking at the 55x850d. Pretty good quality and I like that they have Android TV built in, so I can use the Limelight app to stream PC games if I want.

Sony 55" X810C at $899 or 55" X900C at $1299 should be the only options at the price point you mentioned. Hey them soon because they're coming off the market and a fraction of their original price.

Vizio P is great at it's price point for a new 2016 4k but can't compare with a Sony, LG 7700+ or Samsung 8+ series. And OLED is pretty, but too expensive with too many problems and terrible refresh rate.

wheapon

Sony 55" X810C at $899 or 55" X900C at $1299 should be the only options at the price point you mentioned. Hey them soon because they're coming off the market and a fraction of their original price.

Vizio P is great at it's price point for a new 2016 4k but can't compare with a Sony, LG 7700+ or Samsung 8+ series. And OLED is pretty, but too expensive with too many problems and terrible refresh rate.

I dunno man, the reviews indicate the 2016 Vizio P hangs pretty well with those Sony TVs. Especially since both of those are edge lit TVs vs. the Vizio's full array backlighting.

KyleCross

Bought me a 4K TV a couple months back, because my 1080p Samsung had an issue that was nagging me (gradient effects, such as a night sky or the glow around a light had banding) so I'm all set. I had a hell of a time fucking finding a good one tho. I went through the return process for 3 TVs because they all had terrible uniformity with an entire side of the screen being lighter than the other.

I finally got a good one in the form of Samsung's JS8500. However I'm really not noticing a difference between 1080p content and 4K content, which makes me sound like a old man. I can definitely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Maybe it's because it's only 48 inches? But that's the highest I would go, one of the TVs I returned was 55 inches and it was just far too big for my viewing space.

maks

I need a 48 to 50 inch bedroom tv. Disappointed to hear the 2016 vizio at 50in is a 60hz. Im going to hold out a little longer to see the 2016 version of the Sony 830 series since i can get an employee discount from a friend. Unfortunately it seems like all Sonys are going to have 2+ frames of input lag.

Vetro

choofed.gif

Do people actually think this thing will get near 4K with games?

Shit :D Just wanted to post something smiliar, but should have known it better that somebody else already has done it.

Go ahead OP, buy a 4K TV 1080p60 Games with Max Details

I see no reason to buy a 4k tv for gaming anytime soon.

There seems to be no models with low input lag and fufills the full 4k UHDBR specficiation.

And the ones that come close run into the thousands.

By the time there is a 4K tv that fits my needs and is at a reasonable price, the PS5 will be here.

Computing however is another story....Im eyeing up that 5k imac, ill probably get it at the end of year when my bonus hits.

REDSLATE

Isn't it 2 million pixels vs 8 million, hence the 4k moniker?

No... What connection are you trying to make?

Both 1080p and 4K are 16:9. There are different types of 4K, but those used in TVs and consumer monitors will still conform to standard 16:9.

I believe they are rounding up the horizontal pixels to get to 4K, so 1080p would be 2K using this nomenclature.

4K is NOT 16:9. I don't know what aspect ratio it is off the top of my head, but it's 4096x2160, so it's approximately 17:9. UHD, often mistaken as 4K, is 16:9 (3840x2160).

And, no, it's the exact opposite; they're rounding down.

4K has basically 4x as many pixels because both horizontally and vertically it is double the size of 1920x1080. You can fit 4 lots of 1920x1080 inside a 4K resolution, more or less. It is not incorrect to say that 4K is 4 times the resolution of 1080p. It just depends on how you're defining it, really. It makes sense either way.

4K did not get its name because it is 4 times the resolution of 1080p though. It is a K, not an X. The 4K comes from its horizontal pixel count, for sure.

But it is. Resolution and pixel count are different measurements. That would be like saying radius and diameter are the same thing; they're not.

Your second paragraph is correct.

El_Chino

Shit :D Just wanted to post something smiliar, but should have known it better that somebody else already has done it.

Go ahead OP, buy a 4K TV 1080p60 Games with Max Details
4K content! Please read the OP before making shit judgemental posts.

Aswitch

I'm not sure if this has been addressed but if the PS4K is capable of doing 60fps at suedo 4k, Make sure your 4k tv is hdmi 2.0 compatible. If you have a 4K tv with hdmi 1.4, you're automatically capped to 30fps due to that hdmi standard. Hdmi 2.0 is capable of 4K at 60 fps over hdmi. For anyone that really wants a future proofed 4KTV(for pc games and consoles alike) that should last you until the next decade.

Vetro

4K content! Please read the OP before making shit judgemental posts.

So which content except 4K Blu-Rays? When saying "Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!"
It's not even 100% sure that PS4(k/neo/whatever) will support 4K content - i mean Blu-Rays especially - so why buying a TV now without knowing nothing but rumors about it?

Would be extreme funny if tons of people are buying a 4K TV and Sony comes up at E3 saying things like: Yeah more details, every game with 60fps in 1080p and thats it :D
But yes go ahead, i recommend everyone a 4K TV NAO because nobody knows what exactly Sony will deliever.

El_Chino

So which content except 4K Blu-Rays? When saying "Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!"
It's not even 100% sure that PS4(k/neo/whatever) will support 4K content - i mean Blu-Rays especially - so why buying a TV now without knowing nothing but rumors about it?

Would be extreme funny if tons of people are buying a 4K TV and Sony comes up at E3 saying things like: Yeah more details, every game with 60fps in 1080p and thats it :D
But yes go ahead, i recommend everyone a 4K TV NAO because nobody knows what exactly Sony will deliever.
You're literally assuming just like everyone else.

It's heavily rumored it'll include a UHD Blu ray drive.

Vetro

You're literally assuming just like everyone else.

It's heavily rumored it'll include a UHD Blu ray drive.

It was also heavily rumored to bring 4K gaming to PS4. Just said wait for the official announcement before buying a 4K TV when maybe there won't be any content, because as you said: it's only rumored.

KJRS_1993

It was also heavily rumored to bring 4K gaming to PS4.

But the OP wasn't referring to games in particular, more to 4k content in general. As has been repeated numerous times in the thread.

It's cool dude. You rushed in to take the piss without reading properly and made yourself look like a nelly. It happens.

If i ever go 4k i will get a 4k Monitor not a TV.

I have my PS4 hooked up to a PC gaming monitor and its so much better then my TV.

It was also heavily rumored to bring 4K gaming to PS4

Everything will be up-scaled to 4k. You will never see native 4k gaming unless its a very simple game.

El_Chino

But the OP wasn't referring to games in particular, more to 4k content in general. As has been repeated numerous times in the thread.

It's cool dude. You rushed in to take the piss without reading properly and made yourself look like a nelly. It happens.
Clap-GIF-2015.gif

Vetro

Yeah as you say. But i still wouldn't buy a TV based upon rumors who still could be possibly wrong, simply because they're rumors and not facts yet.

Rinさとり;201612852 said:
If i ever go 4k i will get a 4k Monitor not a TV.

I have my PS4 hooked up to a PC gaming monitor and its so much better then my TV.

Everything will be up-scaled to 4k. You will never see native 4k gaming unless its a very simple game.

I've always found that monitors have shittier scalers compared to TVs. It's one of the reasons I would never consider a monitor over a TV. Size is another reason. My TV has smoked any monitor I've ever used to watch movies.

BumRush

I wonder if the absolutely INCREDIBLE prices of the 2016 Vizios will end up causing the LGs and Sonys of the world to drop theirs (I know the tech is way different - especially on the LG OLEDs - but man, Vizio is going to push a ton of units with those prices)

Check out rtings for pretty good reviews. I was looking at the 55x850d. Pretty good quality and I like that they have Android TV built in, so I can use the Limelight app to stream PC games if I want.

Any reason you aren't pulling the trigger just yet? Yea I'm looking at the 55x850d or the 55x930d. Can't decide but I also feel like I might wait closer to the holidays

Sad to see so many recommendations for Vizio P Series yet it doesn't seem to be sold in the UK.

It's ok. It's not UHD Premium rated. You should wait for a set that is.

I wonder if the absolutely INCREDIBLE prices of the 2016 Vizios will end up causing the LGs and Sonys of the world to drop theirs (I know the tech is way different - especially on the LG OLEDs - but man, Vizio is going to push a ton of units with those prices)

Nah, Vizio has always been the budget priced TV set.

Any reason you aren't pulling the trigger just yet? Yea I'm looking at the 55x850d or the 55x930d. Can't decide but I also feel like I might wait closer to the holidays

I'm in no rush until PS4k comes out. I typically do research months in advance. Also debating whether to save up and go 65 inches.

Doesn't everything we know about the specs so far indicate that it will be sub-par at running 4K games?

That's a ... gentle, way of putting it.

don't jump in for a 4K tv expecting to play games in native res guys - it'll be another console cycle until that's realistic.

has anyone played 1080p content up scaled to one of these suckers though? should be pretty decent as far as up scaling goes so I'm curious what actual IQ is liked?

I've always found that monitors have shittier scalers compared to TVs. It's one of the reasons I would never consider a monitor over a TV. Size is another reason. My TV has smoked any monitor I've ever used to watch movies.

yes, monitors typically scale poorly - but they're not expected to be used in that way really.

monitors ARE much better in terms of colour accuracy, control options / tinkering, refresh rates, input lag, general picture quality...

but yes they are much smaller ;)

general picture quality...

I think this really depends what you're viewing on it. Monitors have strengths and weaknesses depending on the application. I would never use a monitor to watch any type of video content over a TV. My Pioneer Kuro has beaten any monitor I've ever used in terms of picture quality for TV and movie content.

Blanquito

No... What connection are you trying to make?

4K is NOT 16:9. I don't know what aspect ratio it is off the top of my head, but it's 4096x2160, so it's approximately 17:9. UHD, often mistaken as 4K, is 16:9 (3840x2160).

And, no, it's the exact opposite; they're rounding down.

But it is. Resolution and pixel count are different measurements. That would be like saying radius and diameter are the same thing; they're not.

Your second paragraph is correct.

Hm, but Wikipedia lists the UHD 4K as the standard for TV and video games. The DCI 4K is standard for the film industry. So really, it doesn't seem like you can say "UHD, often mistaken as 4K" since both UHD and DCI are both 4K standards. And since we're talking about video games in this thread, it would seem to be more appropriate to use the UHD standard than the DCI standard for 4K.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

I'm not sure if this has been addressed but if the PS4K is capable of doing 60fps at suedo 4k, Make sure your 4k tv is hdmi 2.0 compatible. If you have a 4K tv with hdmi 1.4, you're automatically capped to 30fps due to that hdmi standard. Hdmi 2.0 is capable of 4K at 60 fps over hdmi. For anyone that really wants a future proofed 4KTV(for pc games and consoles alike) that should last you until the next decade.

I just bought a 4K tonight (I NEED 3D, as I love it - especially theater style passive):

Did I pick a good set?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...r-black/4924100.p?id=bb4924100&skuId=4924100#

LG - 65" Class - (64.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 3D - 4K Ultra HD TV - with High Dynamic Range -

It's 240 refresh as well

It has a cool Dolby filter setting too!

...but does it have the HDMI thing mentioned?

Also, what settings are best on LG to get the most out of my PS4 (not 4K), but lag, sharpness and color/black levels?

QaaQer

Sad to see so many recommendations for Vizio P Series yet it doesn't seem to be sold in the UK.

I'd wait to see what the QC is like on those on avsforums. Most review sites get their sets from the manufacturer, so they aren't always representative of what you see in bestbuy, just ask Samsung owners who lost out in the 'panel lottery'.

What's so bad about getting a 4K set...didn't people get 1080p TVs for PS3 lol? As long as they get something in 4K, then I don't think it's a dumb purchase.

It would be hilarious if Sony would cancel the Playstation Nioh and people bought a TV just for something that wasnt even announced.

I just bought a 4K tonight (I NEED 3D, as I love it - especially theater style passive):

Did I pick a good set?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-65-c...r-black/4924100.p?id=bb4924100&skuId=4924100#

LG - 65" Class - (64.5" Diag.) - LED - 2160p - Smart - 3D - 4K Ultra HD TV - with High Dynamic Range -

It's 240 refresh as well

It has a cool Dolby filter setting too!

...but does it have the HDMI thing mentioned?

Also, what settings are best on LG to get the most out of my PS4 (not 4K), but lag, sharpness and color/black levels?

I think it's a decent set. I'm considering that same model ( maybe 75" ) to replace my 55" LG. Input lag is is good, it's an IPS panel, and the HDMI specs are up to date.

Reallink

yes, monitors typically scale poorly - but they're not expected to be used in that way really.

monitors ARE much better in terms of colour accuracy, control options / tinkering, refresh rates, input lag, general picture quality...

but yes they are much smaller ;)

That's a wide blanket. There are a shitty monitors and excellent TV's and there are shitty TV's and excellent monitors. You can't generalize, cause there are price tiers where one is going to be superior to the other and vise versa.

What's so bad about getting a 4K set...didn't people get 1080p TVs for PS3 lol? As long as they get something in 4K, then I don't think it's a dumb purchase.

Because the standards just got set and most TVs out now don't conform to that criteria. They are just now trickling out on to the market so it seems silly to get one now that those standards in place and not get a TV that meets it. Unless your TV died and you need to replace it now, it's not a good time.

Nin_Fan

I recently got a Samsung UN65JS9500 on sale (it's the 2015 model) and it looks fantastic with the limited 4K content I can throw at it.. and 1080P stuff looks great as well.
Wow I recently got one as well, I'm so impressed how well 1080p looks on the TV it's like watching it again for the 1st time.

imperium

Just got a new Vizio 65" P series to replace a recently broken Samsung and so far I've been very impressed. I was a little worried that 1080p upscaled games might look a little iffy in 4K but it's been the opposite. Games look very nice & Vizio claims sub 20ms lag on HDMI 5.

it would be a mistake in my opinion to not give them serious consideration. . Also I would highly recommend the UHD versions of Mad Max & Pacfic Rim available on VUDU. HDR really does make a difference.

I have a Sony x810c (2015 model) that I got in November. Been very pleased with it. The lower end 2016 Sony 4K tvs are all IPS displays instead of VA, meaning lighter blacks leading to a huge decrease in contrast ratio. The x810c is fantastic from a pure picture quality standpoint, just with a lack of higher end features, such as 3D and HDR.

What I really like though is that Sony's motion processing doesn't add a whole lot of input lag (at least on the 2015 models), so I usually leave it on for games that don't need twitch reflexes. Makes the framerate look a hell of a lot smoother.

dolabla

I have a Sony x810c (2015 model) that I got in November. Been very pleased with it. The lower end 2016 Sony 4K tvs are all IPS displays instead of VA, meaning lighter blacks leading to a huge decrease in contrast ratio. The x810c is fantastic from a pure picture quality standpoint, just with a lack of higher end features, such as 3D and HDR.

What I really like though is that Sony's motion processing doesn't add a whole lot of input lag (at least on the 2015 models), so I usually leave it on for games that don't need twitch reflexes. Makes the framerate look a hell of a lot smoother.

What size x810c do you have?

I'm looking at the 55" and might be getting it this week. I read it's the best bang for you buck basically (if you don't want all the fancy features). I used to have an x850c, but had some problems with it and went through 2 units (I loved the PQ on it though). I told them not to worry about sending a 3rd unit, so I've been without a newer'esque tv for a few months now since I sold my Samsung H7150.

Is there any problems with light bleed, etc, on your set? How are black levels?

What size x810c do you have?

I'm looking at the 55" and might be getting it this week. I read it's the best bang for you buck basically (if you don't want all the fancy features). I used to have an x850c, but had some problems with it and went through 2 units (I loved the PQ on it though). I told them not to worry about sending a 3rd unit, so I've been without a newer'esque tv for a few months now since I sold my Samsung H7150.

Is there any problems with light bleed, etc, on your set? How are black levels?

I have the 55".

It really is the best bang for the buck, although I've kind of stopped getting hardcore into TV reviews, aside from catching up on the 2016 model Sonys and seeing the changes made. I hear the new Vizio-P series is terrific as well, although I can't say specifically if it's great for gaming.

What size x850c did you have? The 55" was Edge Lit, the 65" was direct backlit. That was actually what made me choose the x810c over the x850c to begin with, as I had a 2012 model LG beforehand that was Edge Lit, and I hated the hot corners. What problems did you have with the x850c?

About the only problem I have with the x810c is the darker corners on some content, but I really don't even notice that unless 3/4 of the screen is a solid color, such as when delving through some Android apps. It's really not present enough on actual content to bother me all that much. I also do get some color shift on the right edge, but again, only when the display is showing some type of solid color background in an app environment.

No traditional light bleed issues to speak of. Black levels are amazing. This is an excellent darker room TV, where you would have a bit more control over the lighting in the room. The set doesn't get that bright, but that's not a problem unless you're putting in a bright living room. It gets bright enough to look crisp and detailed, but the blacks stay inky.

Aside from that, Sony TVs have some of the best 4k upscaling you can find (bodes well for the PS4K). I've not tried a traditional 480p signal, but 720p/1080p look amazing, and 4k content, while sparse at the moment, also looks incredible.

The bottom line with the 55" x810c seems to be that it's an excellent 4K TV in terms of raw picture quality, and comes with a great price tag. But to get such a thing, some sacrifices had to be made. The panel isn't a wider color gamut display (which Sony dubs 'Triluminous'), and while it will read and correctly display an HDR signal, there's no HDR support for actually viewing it. There's no 3D. Also, the build quality is a little subpar. It's very cheap plastic (aside from the stand). It's thick. The bezel creaks about when touched. Mine came out of the box with a couple of screws that needed to be tightened. I heard that the x850c is much better and more solidly built.

Other than those two small issues with the darker corners and the solid color being washed out just along the right edge, I really have no complaints

I bought a Panasonic just for this (well.. because my old tv broke :'()

But i can NOT stand the "fake" frame rate it does on normal tv and can not seem to turn it off, everything looks like it was filmed with a HD camcorder :(

dolabla

I have the 55".

It really is the best bang for the buck, although I've kind of stopped getting hardcore into TV reviews, aside from catching up on the 2016 model Sonys and seeing the changes made. I hear the new Vizio-P series is terrific as well, although I can't say specifically if it's great for gaming.

What size x850c did you have? The 55" was Edge Lit, the 65" was direct backlit. That was actually what made me choose the x810c over the x850c to begin with, as I had a 2012 model LG beforehand that was Edge Lit, and I hated the hot corners. What problems did you have with the x850c?

About the only problem I have with the x810c is the darker corners on some content, but I really don't even notice that unless 3/4 of the screen is a solid color, such as when delving through some Android apps. It's really not present enough on actual content to bother me all that much. I also do get some color shift on the right edge, but again, only when the display is showing some type of solid color background in an app environment.

No traditional light bleed issues to speak of. Black levels are amazing. This is an excellent darker room TV, where you would have a bit more control over the lighting in the room. The set doesn't get that bright, but that's not a problem unless you're putting in a bright living room. It gets bright enough to look crisp and detailed, but the blacks stay inky.

Aside from that, Sony TVs have some of the best 4k upscaling you can find (bodes well for the PS4K). I've not tried a traditional 480p signal, but 720p/1080p look amazing, and 4k content, while sparse at the moment, also looks incredible.

The bottom line with the 55" x810c seems to be that it's an excellent 4K TV in terms of raw picture quality, and comes with a great price tag. But to get such a thing, some sacrifices had to be made. The panel isn't a wider color gamut display (which Sony dubs 'Triluminous'), and while it will read and correctly display an HDR signal, there's no HDR support for actually viewing it. There's no 3D. Also, the build quality is a little subpar. It's very cheap plastic (aside from the stand). It's thick. The bezel creaks about when touched. Mine came out of the box with a couple of screws that needed to be tightened. I heard that the x850c is much better and more solidly built.

Other than those two small issues with the darker corners and the solid color being washed out just along the right edge, I really have no complaints

Thanks for the info!

I had the 55" Edge Lit. The problem I had with the x850c was light bleed/banding issues on the first unit and the second unit had really bad clouding issues, so I said forget it. I just had some bad luck with that set, lol.

This x810c sounds like a really good tv. It being Direct Lit is also one of the main reasons I want it. I think I'm pretty dead set I'm gonna get it. It seems to fill the only thing I care about - great pure picture quality. I don't really care about HDR (at least not right now; I'll let the technology mature before I get a set with HDR), 3D and all those other fancy features. As long as it has great picture quality, I'll be happy.

I just saw they went back up $100 on the price though :(. Not sure why. Hopefully it will go back down. I'll give it a week to see if it happens to drop again. If not, I'll still pull the trigger :).

DjRalford

Tonight i ordered myself a new model Samsung 4k HDR UE49KS7000, will be picking it up later.

Bought it to use with my PC, as that can actually do 4K

So i'm covered if i do decide to upgrade my PS4

Top Bottom