• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Rbk_3

Am I stupid or a good human being?

Bought a 65 inch B6 OLED last week(3998€). Wanted it delivered 1st of December.
Then I changed my mind and picked it up my myself the next day.

Fast forward to tonight, the delivery guy calls me and says he's delivering my TV tomorrow.
While I'm Already watching netflix on it.

I called him back and said I already got it.
/cry

That sounds like my situation. I bought the Vizio P series online at Costco and got $300 back because the price had gone down. I decided to return the TV to Costco warehouse but they were going to refund me the whole amount of the original purchase. I spoke up and told them.

I'd believe many people won't notice at a glance, but I found that was actually true of SD vs. HD as well. Once you get some exposure and start to realize the differences it ceases to be true. It's also absolutely not the case if you know what you're looking for in the first place. I'm 48 and have mediocre eyesight and even at 55" the resolution differences are readily apparent to me so long as I'm wearing glasses.

... and that's not even the most important part of recent display technology. Better color representation and HDR are the biggest wins, IMHO.

I just got my 60" KS8000 yesterday, coming from a 60" Vizio 1080p set. To me, the difference was immediately noticeable, and reminded me of the upgrade I got when I went from an iphone 3G to an iphone 4S with a retina screen. At that time, I was blown away by how much clearer the 4S screen was, and here it's the same. On the 1080p set, pixels could be easily distinguished with the naked eye from ~6 ft away. With the KS8000, I cannot distinguish individual pixels at the same distance. I typically sit about 12 ft from the screen in normal use, and even from there, I can tell that the image is cleaner and clearer.

My wife and kids can't see it. They can't see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps either (blows my mind), so I think a lot of it is individual perception.

Thinking of returning this LG and going for something else. This auto dimming is really distracting me. Hows the auto dimming on Samsung TVs?

Natels

I was about to buy a Sony XD800 which costs about 800€ but the 43" KS7500 (KS8500 in the US) costs about 950€ and is basically the same TV as the flat KS7000 so I'm gonna go with that instead since the 49" are too big for the space and much more expensive

Hey guys,

Would you help me find a monitor that's less than 30" with PS4 Pro 4K support? I was gonna buy the Acer Predator but I read it doesn't really support 4K on PS4Pro!

Any suggestions? I'd say 32" is the max size I can play on!
Thanks.

PITY your missing out on really sharp looking games on the PRo. It really does make a diference, at first I was skeptic, but after playing R&C, IW, TR,WD2, Hitman and Uncharted I was sold.

SO very clean so very nice.

The screenshots look very nice but I can't justify upgrading as it mainly is for 4K bluray, I will probably jump on the Scorpio down the line, but I am happy with standard PS4. Doesn't help its white and gorgeous while the pro is black and boring.

TV comes Monday. The wait is killing me now.

Brewmont

Banned
Question regarding HDMI/DVI use:

So I got a Samsung 4K tv on Black Friday, and I noticed that even though the software for HDR use on the tv has three switches, one for each of the HDMI ports to turn it on and off, only the first port will allow me to turn HDR off and on. I assume because it's a HDMI/DVI port and the others are not.

I have both an Xbox One S and a PS4 Pro and am wondering if a simple HDMI splitter will do the trick to allow me to use both systems' HDR features? I wasn't sure where else to ask, but hoping somebody here can help.

SOLDIER

This probably gets asked a billion times, but I wanted to double check: for the LG OLED B6/C6/E6 series, is it better to set the PS4's RPG to Full, Limited or Auto?

In addition, what should the Black Level and Gamma combination be? I was watching the latest Death Stranding trailer on YouTube and noticed that having Black Level on High made Del Toro and the tunnel appear completely black, while setting it to Low made him significantly more visible. Is it better to adjust both Black Level and Gamma at the same time, or choose one over the other?

Weevilone

So the Vudu app on PS4 Pro doesn't support UHD / HDR yet right? What about Netflix? Right now I don't seem to be able to get anything HDR out of my PS4 Pro other than a couple games.

Madness

which TV do you guys think is better?

SonyXBR43X800D LED 2160P 4K ultra ($585 open box)

Samsung UN34KU6300 ($400)

both 43"

i guess i could add that gaming is secondary for me.. movie watching is more important

X800D is the superior HDR and 4K television here if gaming and input lag is secondary. The 6300 series can not display wide color gamut required for HDR. Brightness levels near identical and while the Samsung will have slightly better blacks, the Sony has much better motion handling and judder.

Rean

So I've been playing a bunch of games on my new tv, but there are times when the colors just go crazy and the screen just looks like a blob of colors for a few seconds. Anyone know how to fix it?

bryanee

Anyone have experience with the Panasonic TX-50DX700B? I cant find anything reliable in regards to how the input lag is with hdr.

Lazy Lemmy

Neo Member
Anyone have a Samsung UE49KU6670 that they care to share settings with?

It was my first 4K TV purchase, and when In game mode I cannot complain, but it may be that some fine folk have had theirs calibrated, or maybe know of 'optimum' settings for both movie and gaming?

b0bbyJ03

Not sure where to ask this but I'm wondering if the Amazon app plays in 4K on the Pro? If so, how do I find the 4K content. Didn't see anything in the menu. Do I have to set something up first?

meanspartan

which TV do you guys think is better?

SonyXBR43X800D LED 2160P 4K ultra ($585 open box)

Samsung UN34KU6300 ($400)

both 43"

i guess i could add that gaming is secondary for me.. movie watching is more important

Own the KU6300, love it, and it will do HDR as well as early implementations of the technology did (think early 2015 HDR tvs) and it thus crushes just about any SDR tv out there.

That said, it is not HDR10 and the difference is absolutely noticeable. If you can spare the extra $200 or so, get the TV with proper HDR.

But if budget is very important, the Samsung tv is amazing bang for the buck and will look great. I have no regrets going with my 50inch 6300 for well under $500 instead of spending hundreds more for "proper" HDR. It looks fantastic. A few pages back I posted excerpts from a review that went into detail about the level of HDR you get with the 6300, check it out.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Just got the 55X850D and am loving it: holy crap the upscaling is amazing to 4K and the HDR/4K gaming is brilliant - I'm coming from a 2006 'dawn of 1080p' X-series Bravia, so this is some next level upgrade right here!!!

Madness

How does regular 1080p content look on a 4K screen?

Like 1080p content. Jokes aside. It depends. Blu-rays and quality 1080p things like Netflix look amazing. However, cable and satelitte or poor bitrate stuff looks like shit. In fact I actually prefer the look of my older Panasonic plasma or other LCD televisions for 1080p content rather than my X800D or KS8000 for some reason. Such shitty quality signals.

However, I think it is also because I expect more from the televisions. Native 4K content absolutely destroys 1080p content.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Like 1080p content. Jokes aside. It depends. Blu-rays and quality 1080p things like Netflix look amazing. However, cable and satelitte or poor bitrate stuff looks like shit. In fact I actually prefer the look of my older Panasonic plasma or other LCD televisions for 1080p content rather than my X800D or KS8000 for some reason. Such shitty quality signals.

However, I think it is also because I expect more from the televisions. Native 4K content absolutely destroys 1080p content.
I love the upscale on the 850D, Sony's X1 processor is amazing for that I reckon :)

Surfheart

I still enjoy 3D blurays and have a reasonable investment in movies. Are any of the Sony 4K HDR sets that do 3D decent? Looking at no smaller than 55"

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I still enjoy 3D blurays and have a reasonable investment in movies. Are any of the Sony 4K HDR sets that do 3D decent? Looking at no smaller than 55"

Only the x930D supports 3D I think as it has been phased out this year on their mid-range stuff. The super high end Z9 models may support it but need to look into it.

Also supposedly the 65" variant of the 930d has a hardware issue that causes lots of crosstalk problems which have upset many on the Sony and Avsforums. The 3D seems to be unwatchable due to this and Sony has been terrible about fixing the issue. Apparently the 55" x930d model is fine with 3D though and unaffected. May want to look into this though or wait until next years models to be safe(if they still support it at all).

Sad as I want an HDR Sony set but hate to give up 3D as well.

Hi everyone I have a question about Samsung's policy about exchange..I bought the KS8000 49 inch using EPP on November 13th..I did NOT receive the TV til November 25th..its still sealed in the box because my brother in law who will be putting it up on the wall for me is out of town til this coming Tuesday and he wont be able to mount the TV for me til Saturday..I chatted yesterday with Samsung in the morning and they said for exchange its 30 days after I RECEIVE the TV which would make it December 25th, but last night I chatted again and they said its 30 days after I make the order which makes no sense..what if the TV is on back order and you have had to wait 2 months the warranty is already expired..I just want to be sure if I open the box and its cracked or something is wrong with it I can exchange it..Thanks

UltraSven

Neo Member
Does anyone have any experience with the LG 65UH615V? Wondering if it's any good for 4K/HDR gaming purposes. Thanks in advance! (It's an EU model)

patientx

Guys anyone here tried the philips pus6501 for 4k /hdr play ? On a forum someone claims it accepts hdr signal from the right port and also they were able to play uncharted in ps4 pro with hdr enabled ? I am trying to verify if it is true , other tv s are out of my price reach at this point and I am thinking about buying this tv.

I just installed my KS8000 49 inch TV and I notice that there is no WWE Network app on the list of apps..does that application not come with this TV Im surprised since its a newer TV I would expect it to have the latest apps so if anyone can let me know that would be great..also as far as the sound setting..I have it on normal, but there is also music and movie which is recommended?

Help me Gaf, my good ol' Panasonic plasma is now going out (sometimes doesn't turn on). I'm in the market for a 4K TV. I think I want a 65" for size but I have no clue what brand or TV's are ideal for me. I'm looking to drop around 1,400 to 1,600. Will I be able to get anything decent for that?

Thanks gang.

65" ks8000 is back to $1079 for EPP accounts on samsung.com
http://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...-un65ks8000fxza/?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000427

takes 2-5 weeks to arrive for most people ("1-3 day shipping" doesn't really mean jack) and it can be a nightmare to deal with samsung if you get a broken panel so something to keep in mind. Your company must have a relationship for samsung to sign up for EPP and see the discount price.

got one for the parents this week after 3 weeks shipment, no problems and it is absolutely beautiful. too bad the only thing they will be watching is SD TV and maybe the occasional foreign film, but we did watch grand tour episode 1 today to test it out and it looked amazing in 4k/HDR.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
65" ks8000 is back to $1079 for EPP accounts on samsung.com
http://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...-un65ks8000fxza/?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000427

takes 2-5 weeks to arrive for most people ("1-3 day shipping" doesn't really mean jack) and it can be a nightmare to deal with samsung if you get a broken panel so something to keep in mind. Your company must have a relationship for samsung to sign up for EPP and see the discount price.

got one for the parents this week after 3 weeks shipment, no problems and it is absolutely beautiful. too bad the only thing they will be watching is SD TV and maybe the occasional foreign film, but we did watch grand tour episode 1 today to test it out and it looked amazing in 4k/HDR.
Didn't people buy it using a shared epp account? Can i get the details?

I'm so lost looking at TVs. Want a 55-60 inch screen. I'd like 4K and HDR due to more shows on Netflix and games starting to support it and I guess it's good anyway!

Everyone online is pointing towards the Samsung KS8000 or whatever, I guess a few things I just don't know. I'm mainly just going to watch Netflix or play PS4.

1. Curved vs flat? I looked at two of the Samsung models in a shop today and the curved seemed kinda nice but not sure of what the benefits are. We are in a room which can get some glare.

2. I like the smart TV stuff as I currently don't have one. I have an iPhone and iPad and a PlayStation 4. I understand Samsung seem to kill it with smart things, what else would work with what I have (or is it irrelevant) or what other brands are just good in the smart space while also being good TVs?

3. The KU7500 vs the KS8500 is a 750 difference in price where I am, what would o get for that price?

Finally I'm in Australia (melbourne) where is best to look? Jb hifi? Good guys? Online?

Also the reason I'm posting this here is also kinda because I want my games to look nicer if possible :O I don't want to get one and realise the HDR and resolution are shit due to some issues with that brand or model.

Can anyone direct me to some gaming settings for the ku6300? I obviously have my pro hooked up to HDMI 1 with game mode and hdr on. Other then that I'm clueless.

Ok, out of the blue today I found out my friend has a Samsung EPP account and he said I could use it to order a TV. I can get a 60'' KS8000 for $855 which seems like a ridiculously good deal.

I want a 4K TV but until 20 minutes ago I was totally resigned to wait for next years models. From what I remember around the release of the Pro, the KS8000's were the most recommended. Any issues or anything I should know before jumping in? Anyone recommend just waiting for next years models?

HussiZooT

I have a question. Is there input lag in the non-4K games on the PS PRO when using a 4K tv?

Like say Farcry 4. Don't think it has 4K support. Will that game have input lag when playing on a pro connected to a 4K tv?

Dredd97

took the plunge

LG 49UH668v for me.. fairly cheap, but it's been excellent for me, and both my PS4 pro and xbox one s see full range RGB HDR at 4K so I'm pleased :)

I'm between the KS7000 and KS8000 (KS8000 and KS9000 in USA), is there any difference between them?
I prefer the KS7000 design but would have to buy a new table for it, wouldn't have that problem with the KS8000 since the support is in the middle.

I'm so lost looking at TVs. Want a 55-60 inch screen. I'd like 4K and HDR due to more shows on Netflix and games starting to support it and I guess it's good anyway!

Everyone online is pointing towards the Samsung KS8000 or whatever, I guess a few things I just don't know. I'm mainly just going to watch Netflix or play PS4.

1. Curved vs flat? I looked at two of the Samsung models in a shop today and the curved seemed kinda nice but not sure of what the benefits are. We are in a room which can get some glare.

2. I like the smart TV stuff as I currently don't have one. I have an iPhone and iPad and a PlayStation 4. I understand Samsung seem to kill it with smart things, what else would work with what I have (or is it irrelevant) or what other brands are just good in the smart space while also being good TVs?

3. The KU7500 vs the KS8500 is a 750 difference in price where I am, what would o get for that price?

Finally I'm in Australia (melbourne) where is best to look? Jb hifi? Good guys? Online?

Also the reason I'm posting this here is also kinda because I want my games to look nicer if possible :O I don't want to get one and realise the HDR and resolution are shit due to some issues with that brand or model.

I wonder the same, is curved worth it?

Lady Gaia

I'm between the KS7000 and KS8000 (KS8000 and KS9000 in USA), is there any difference between them?

The higher end model has slightly better peak brightness and image processing, but most have concluded that the practical difference is minor.

I wonder the same, is curved worth it?

For a single viewer at an ideal location it can improve color representation trivially. Mostly it's a gimmick that creates problems for people off-axis and ensures that you'll get glare from any light source nearby.

Top Bottom