• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzzfeed: Inside iPhone 7: Why Apple Killed The Headphone Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are nice earbuds. Nice 159$ buds that will easily fall off when you work out.

Phones do a lot more than a TV to be fair.

256gb is fucking great storage so it isn't that bad a price.

Probably 100-200 more than ideal.

I'm writing from a sick ass laptop with that much storage in a SSD, decent ram, and an i5 cpu that cost me about half the price of a new iPhone.

Just did a simple search on standard camera pixelage for Android phones and they're all 13 Mp+.

You're right that today's wonder phones do a hell of a lot more than 4k TVs. But when there's loads of quality devices out there for less and offer the same if not better specs. You gotta be real, bruh.

Those are nice earbuds. Nice 159$ buds that will easily fall off when you work out.

I'm writing from a sick ass laptop with that much storage in a SSD, decent ram, and an i5 cpu that cost me about half the price of a new iPhone.

Just did a simple search on standard camera pixelage for Android phones and they're all 13 Mp+.

You're right that today's wonder phones do a hell of a lot more than 4k TVs. But when there's loads of quality devices out there for less and offer the same if not better specs. You gotta be real, bruh.

And a laptop doesn't fit in your hand or run for a whole day on battery... it's all relative.

Frankly everything is too expensive.

If the W1 and the software riding on it genuinely fixes all of the issues with a Bluetooth audio then great. It's just silly that these headphones introduce a significant new pain point (being easily lost).

I'll see what the reviews of the W1 Beats headphones are like, I guess, and whether they have all the advantages of the AirPods without that significant disadvantage.

Plugging in an already existent 3.5mm device isn't

Huh?

I'm just defending why phones are expensive and that relatively speaking at 256GB 4x times the usual 64 and 8 times the low end 32 at under a 1000 isn't that bad relatively speaking.

The lack of headphone jack, along with my other issues with apple (lack of customization, poor codec support, no expandable memory or removable battety, etc...) is a no go for me anyway.

Oh, fuck off. This guy's mouth is a 50 year old hole filled with air.

Lightning-only for wired audio is the "upgrade" nobody wanted. Taking away something so basic for shitty features like "taptic feedback" is ridiculous.

You know I use iOS devices for music stuff so this is just a no-go all around for me. Bluetooth's latency and low quality rule that out and there is no chance in hell I'm buying a buncha dongles. My shitty old iPhone 4 lives on I guess.

Majine

Banned
Well, it's nice to see them challenging universal standards and dragging us all kicking and screaming into the future. Consolidating everything to one connector makes sense on a mobile device, and the (I'm guessing low) amount of people who charge while listening will have to adapt.

Past Iphones had a mark up of around 50% AFAIK, but I don't know if this contributed into costs after Suply Chain Management had been accounted for (shipping, delivering, store provisions, defects, exchanges, and so on).
But what you have to remember that if you spend 150 dollars on the materials for the iphone itself. It stands to reason that you spend 2x-4x as much on marketing. That is how the world works. Now of course that is not to say that every Iphone is literally costing 300-600 dollars in marketing. Adjusted for vast volume the numbers look very very different, but the idea is that the branding that allows Iphone to happen exist in a ecosystem which requires them to spend a significant amount of money beyond the cost of the device itself.

Secondly, it's important to remember that there is a law in tech about diminishing returns. The poster with the 55 4K TV for under a thousand Dollars. That's a good deal, but for scale, your TV would be a Huawei One, compared to the flagship 65-85-Inch TVs from Sony, LG and Samsung that upwards 20,000 Dollars.
The Iphone has expensive tech in it and if you look at it from a value proposition, you really need to get a chinese brand if you want to have a lot of really fast computing in your phone.
In real world usage many peoples needs will be perfectly sufficient with a phone in this price range.

Iphone and flagship Samsungs are total overkill. These are not phones for regular needs, but I think Smartphones are so important in our culture now, not just as a status symbol but also because we rely on them for everything, that a great deal of people perceive having to have top end phones as a requirement for their daily driver.
And I know this first hand. I selfishly and childishly got a Iphone 6 Plus 128 GB when I money was tight as a student. It was total overkill, but my reasoning was that I stick with a phone 4-5 years and upgrading is not an option, so I was better off going to full out.
This was not a very mature financial decision, but I think it speaks volumes to how we sometimes justify getting more than we need.

Big Brett

I'm still baffled they removed the headphone jack...

giphy.gif

Contemplated moving back to Android once my update kicks in, but they made it a no brainer. I'm not nullifying my
actually good and not shit
headphones for some $160 pair of those god awful plastic buds.

Plasma

Banned
Consolidating everything to one connector makes sense on a mobile device, and the (I'm guessing low) amount of people who charge while listening will have to adapt.
Adapt? I just won't buy another iphone. Seriously for all the talk of improvements they're making it's obvious why they're doing it they bought a headphones company.

Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but are Lightning and USB-C compatible at all?

ie. If 3.5mm does end up getting dropped, will we end up with a new universal connector that can be used across all devices, or are we going to end up with headphones being sold with a variety of connector adaptors?

kami_sama

Excuse my ignorance on the matter, but are Lightning and USB-C compatible at all?

ie. If 3.5mm does end up getting dropped, will we end up with a new universal connector that can be used across all devices, or are we going to end up with headphones being sold with a variety of connector adaptors?

The second scenario seems more plausible :(
And USB-C and Lightning are nor compatible at all.

MGrant

$160 is getting into big-boy earphone money, and the consumer should get big-boy earphone quality for that price. I'm extremely curious if they can provide that. These look like $10 earbuds being sold for $150 markup (I know, microphone and accelerometers, but still). If they can match the quality of something like the JBL s200i ($130) or the VSonic GR07BE ($140) they may very well be worth it, but all impressions I've seen so far have said "Yep, they sound like earpods."

Mendrox

He makes some good points. I really don't get the "outrage" over its removal. The only good argument I've heard is that you can't charge and listen at the same time but I'm sure there will be adapters for that. When you are buying a $900 phone I don't get the opposition of buying a $20 adapter.

When I buy a 900$ phone I don't want to pay an additional 20$ for a fucking adapter which will break by just looking at it too. It's like Sony with the Vita and their bullshit memory cards.

hamchan

Well, it's nice to see them challenging universal standards and dragging us all kicking and screaming into the future. Consolidating everything to one connector makes sense on a mobile device, and the (I'm guessing low) amount of people who charge while listening will have to adapt.

I'm gonna guess this "low" amount of people who charge while listening are in the millions.

jelly

The second unfortunately so what will manufactures do, ship lightning headphones with 3.5mm adapter in the box, usb c connection or another connection with 3.5mm adapter in the box or stick with 3.5mm. What a mess.

Kinyou

I guess they also could have made the phone a little thicker and get the same advantages but.... nah, hole filled with air

The second scenario seems more plausible :(
And USB-C and Lightning are nor compatible at all.

The second unfortunately so what will manufactures do, ship lightning headphones with 3.5mm adapter in the box, usb c connection or another connection with 3.5mm adapter in the box or stick with 3.5mm. What a mess.

Ah, worst case scenario then. Lame.

Courage would've been switching to a universal connector (USB Type C) and ditching 3.5mm. As it is this is just user and market hostile.

How the fuck does one adapt when battery technology is stuck in the jurassic period so my phone dies fairly fast if I'm listening to shit while working, or if I'm surfing the web and doing other shit on the phone as well.

I need to keep this fucker plugged because it not it dies within 3-4 hours by using it.

All this means is that now I adapt to fucking either listening to music or charging my phone.

You want me to adapt, then fucking make batteries that last like dozens of hours under regular use

The Boat

Lightning wired headphones, for those who want headphones who disconnect all the time when the connector gets a bit dusty.

You know what's frustrating? I feel like being vocal about my distaste for this development will paint me as an 'old man yelling at a cloud.' When I don't feel that's fair at all. Oh well. Yeah, won't be buying an iPhone.

jelly

Ah, worst case scenario then. Lame.

Courage would've been switching to a universal connector (USB Type C) and ditching 3.5mm. As it is this is just user and market hostile.

Haven't seen USB C in person but looks bigger than Lightning. Not sure how viable it is for a 3.5mm replacement.

compare-usb-and-lightning.jpg

Probably a lot sturdier than lightning.

Haven't seen USB C in person but looks bigger than Lightning. Not sure how viable it is for a 3.5mm replacement.

compare-usb-and-lightning.jpg

Probably a lot sturdier than lightning.

It's better that the lightning is a male end compared to the usb c that's a female end though. If you accidentally yank the phone along with its cable inside, you'll only damage the cable end of a lightning (because the phone side is a solid hole), but for a usb c, you risk snapping the tiny male end of a usb c inside a phone though. Which would you rather?

AHA-Lambda

They basically removed something I use everyday and replaced it with shit I don't care about. Good job. Gonna have to start looking into Android I guess. And before anyone asks, listening to my headphones while my phone is charging is something I do a lot.

Fitts

No wonder Apple didn't wa t to hire one of their own engineers as a "Genius." They're dumb as fuck.

All they did was create a problem with zero positive trade offs.

smudge

Apple really do excel at marketing. They always have these shit ideas yet are able to sell them and make themselves sound innovative for doing something nobody wants or needs.

Maximus.

They basically removed something I use everyday and replaced it with shit I don't care about. Good job. Gonna have to start looking into Android I guess. And before anyone asks, listening to my headphones while my phone is charging is something I do a lot.

So what's the plan when eventually all phones remove the headphone port? Stop using a phone or accept it?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
It's better that the lightning is a male end compared to the usb c that's a female end though. If you accidentally yank the phone along with its cable inside, you'll only damage the cable end of a lightning (because the phone side is a solid hole), but for a usb c, you risk snapping the tiny male end of a usb c inside a phone though. Which would you rather?

The device's USB socket prevents that from happening. I have a Huawei P9 sitting right next to me and you'd need to destroy the device to break the inner male end. It's so much better designed than previous cables (USB or not) it's not even funny.

I own an iPad Air (which I love for the most part) and several USB-C devices. USB-C is super sturdy. Meanwhile, I have to baby my garbage Lightning cable each time I plug it in or out. That shit is so flimsy (both the official Apple cable and the connector itself) it's a miracle it hasn't broken yet like so many others. The risk of snapping it by yanking it at an odd angle is very real. That doesn't happen with a USB-C.

jelly

Not sure. there isn't going to be movement on USB -C to do such a thing while connected. The Lightning is more susceptible to a movement break while connected because it doesn't have the encasement taking the strain.

Gallbaro

Banned

USB C is a much better physical connector, the pins are always shielded and it is reverse polarity, a very snug fit that prevents movement.

Harmen

I am curious how strong these lightning plugs are. Never in my life have I managed to break a 3.5 mm plug (I did destroy many wires though, but that problem is there for all wired audio devices). For intensive use on the go (while in you pocket, while running/cycling etc.), these things need to be sturdy as hell for the average consumer.

Apple's not going to remove the headphone jack from iPad are they?

The space saving arguments for those devices doesn't seem to make sense since they're so much larger than the phones.

I don't feel the need to upgrade my iPad Mini 2 anytime soon, but I'd hate it if when I did I wouldn't be able to use my headphones with it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I am curious how strong these lightning adapters are. Never in my life have I managed to break a 3.5 mm plug (I did destroy many wires though, but that problem is there for all wired audio devices). For intensive use on the go (while in you pocket, while running/cycling etc.), these things need to be sturdy as hell for the average consumer.

Going by the quality of the official Lightning cables, I'm already bracing for a tidal wave of consumers complaining about broken adapters after putting the phone in their pockets or bags.

Apple's Lightning cables can't handle the most modicum amounts of torque. They are barely adequate as they are for frequent desktop interaction.

Valtýr

You know those credit card readers that attach to the headphone jack? I see them all the time at little indy art shows. Will those work with the new dongle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom