• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

By now, can we say that ‘Souls-like’ is a sub-genre of RPG

‘Souls-like’ is now an acceptable gaming term. Many Youtubers/gaming media use it regularly in their articles ‘Best Souls-like games.....’, ‘Upcoming Souls-like games.....’ ‘Favourite Souls-like games.....’

These games were/are advertised as Souls-like games

- Nioh
- Surge
- Ashen
- SW Jedi: Fallen Order
- Salt and Sanctuary
- Code Vein
- Blasphemous
- Lords of the Fallen
....and many others

Those games above use many elements invented by Demons/Dark Souls, downright copy or some variants

I think for its influence and contribution to gaming, Souls deserve to have its own sub-category in RPG genre

Banned
I wouldn't call it an RPG subgenre.
Star Wars is in no way an RPG, and even Sekiro is hardly one either.

it's more like a set of game-design choices that are not necessarily only used in RPGs

so we currently have Souls-Like RPGs and Souls-Like Action Adventures

but you could also argue that Sekiro isn't even Souls-Like, it doesn't have the soul-retrieval mechanic for example.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
When I hear 'Souls-like' my interpretation is "Unusually difficult to enjoy"

Bloodborne is one of the best games ever made that (see above) is unusually difficult to enjoy.

Aion002

For me it is.

And it's probably my favorite type of games.

I wish games like dmc and gow could incorporate some souls mechanics, it would make them way more enjoyable to me.

Vawn

Banned
When I hear 'Souls-like' my interpretation is "Unusually difficult to enjoy"

Bloodborne is one of the best games ever made that (see above) is unusually difficult to enjoy.

I don't understand what you mean. I have zero difficulty enjoying Bloodborne.

Fbh

Yeah, though as 01011001 01011001 says I wouldn't quite call it a RPG genre.
You tell me "souls like" and I think about the whole bonfire system, more intricate level design, some lock on based combat that's usually high risk high reward... but not necessarily about RPG elements and builds and all that.

Last edited:
so we currently have Souls-Like RPGs and Souls-Like Action Adventures

but you could also argue that Sekiro isn't even Souls-Like, it doesn't have the soul-retrieval mechanic for example.

Completely agree.

Out of the OP, The Surge and Code Vein are probably the closest to the Dark Souls formula that I've played. Along with Immortal Unchained which wasn't mentioned, but is definitely Souls-like and I quite enjoyed, albeit on the janky side.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
more like a arpg sub-genre, yes
I agree. The Legend of Zelda isn’t an RPG and most games that let you freely move the character during combat aren’t RPG’s, they’re Action RPGs. Zelda is more of an Action Adventure. You could possibly throw in Adventure in there too.

They should create a new sub genre, “Strategic Action Adventure RPG” or SAARPG. Better yet, “TAARPG”, Tactical Action Adventure RPG”.

Last edited:
Yeah, though as 01011001 01011001 says I wouldn't quite call it a RPG genre.
You tell me "souls like" and I think about the whole bonfire system, more intricate level design, some lock on based combat that's usually high risk high reward... but not necessarily about RPG elements and builds and all that.

Souls elements are a lot more than what you mentioned
- Interconnected level design
- Enemies resetting at checkpoints or upon death
- Losing currency upon death, can be retrieved if you’re able to reach the death spot
- Online summoning/invasion
- Unlocking shortcuts
- Hints/messages left by other players
- Ghosts of other players
- Subtle story-telling by items description/NPC conversation. This is a radical design change from your typical RPG genre, where story plays important factor and is usually told cutscenes or lengthy 3rd person narrator

I think it can easily fit as a sub-genre, developers have copied design choices that have become common enough to differentiate between "souls-like" and other variants. But i still don't know what you would call it because you could effortlessly label it as a 3rd person action - RPG.

Fbh

Souls elements are a lot more than what you mentioned
- Interconnected level design
- Enemies resetting at checkpoints or upon death
- Losing currency upon death, can be retrieved if you’re able to reach the death spot
- Online summoning/invasion
- Unlocking shortcuts
- Hints/messages left by other players
- Ghosts of other players
- Subtle story-telling by items description/NPC conversation. This is a radical design change from your typical RPG genre, where story plays important factor and is usually told cutscenes or lengthy 3rd person narrator

Well yeah of course there's more elements, I just listed the first that came to mind.
My point is, game genres and sub genres are a rather subjective thing, and I don't think a game needs to fit a specific number of specific features to feel "souls-like".

Sekiro is "Souls-like" IMO and I wouldn't call it an RPG, it also has no online features, no player hints-messages, no ghosts of other players nor a system to retrieve your lost currency by going back to where you died. As far as I know neither does SW: Fallen order.

So IMO, just like a game doesn't need an invasion system, subtle story telling or messages left by other players to feel like a "souls-like", neither does it need to be an RPG.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You'd have to get people to agree on what constitutes an RPG first. Then you'd have to decide if arpg, crpg, mmorpg, and jrpg were valid subsets.

RPG isn't very useful of a term nowadays since games in practically every genre have adopted some RPG mechanics to give themselves a/another progression system. Just look at leveling in shooters nowadays, as an example.

Much closer to action adventure than rpg imo.

A swarmy catchall phrase would be good to have though. I hate the terms to describe games that use other fames in their description....souls-like.. metroidvania...etc

Kadayi

Banned
They're widely viewed as Action Role Playing Game (ARPG). Basically they're action games with some RPG elements/aspects, but the emphasis is on the action.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Souls games are more action adventure than RPG. If anything it would be a subgenre of action adventure games.

Belmonte

Dark Souls is definitely an action RPG to me. In fact is the best example of what I would call an action RPG since it has a strong RPG component, with lots of character stats, weapon/armor stats, status effects which have a deep impact in the gameplay, it is not for show only, and a strong action component. Both aspects are important and intertwine with each other. Many action RPGs before DS didn't have a well developed action part. The stats/levels mattered a lot more.

You can complete the game like you were playing an action game and you can complete the game building your character wisely. The most efficient way is a mix of both.

IMO, before Demon Souls, most western ARPGs didn't have a lot of action and most eastern ARPGs didn't have a lot of RPG. They were not lesser games because of this. But Demon Souls strike the middle between the two genres.

Last edited:

Helios

People attribute way too many things to Souls games. It's like they forget RPGs and ARPGs existed before it.

m0jknvX.jpg

See, here's the thing, people who are woke don't think they're woke either.
People attribute way too many things to Souls games. It's like they forget RPGs and ARPGs existed before it.

m0jknvX.jpg

That's just the origin story of the weapon, got nothing to do with the story of the game. Almost every game has that, nothing special

I'm referring more like this

Item description: "....
A woman's bright-red brooch, engraved with the name Viola.

Perhaps the jewel is a gift from a hunter. Use to change into a droplet blood gem that fortifies any weapon.
With the proper workshop tool, various weapons can be fortified..."

You found this item after defeating Father Gascoine...when you give the brooch to the little girl in the window, she will cry and won't talk to you anymore.....

From the item description you can piece the story that Father Gascoine killed his wife, Viola's mother

Saruhashi

Banned
‘Souls-like’ is now an acceptable gaming term. Many Youtubers/gaming media use it regularly in their articles ‘Best Souls-like games.....’, ‘Upcoming Souls-like games.....’ ‘Favourite Souls-like games.....’

- Nioh
- Surge
- Ashen
- Salt and Sanctuary
- Code Vein
- Blasphemous
- Lords of the Fallen
....and many others

Those games above use many elements invented by Demons/Dark Souls, downright copy or some variants

I think for its influence and contribution to gaming, Souls deserve to have its own sub-category in RPG genre

I think its definitely its own genre at this point but its an odd one because sometimes the execution can be closer to an RPG and sometimes can be closer to an action adventure.

There are some defining traits and then some "floating" traits that may or may not be present.

Its funny because, just like with music, you wonder how do genres get "coined" and then agreed upon and then become just commonly used.

Souls-like could even be the main category with its own sub genres. Just depends on what people collective end up agreeing on.

Virex

Banned

- Nioh
- Surge
- Ashen
- Salt and Sanctuary
- Code Vein
- Blasphemous
- Lords of the Fallen
....and many others

Zki0qN2.png

Rodolink

No

- Nioh
- Surge
- Ashen
- Salt and Sanctuary
- Code Vein
- Blasphemous
- Lords of the Fallen
....and many others

Nope. they're action rpgs. Main difference would be losing your "exp" when dying akin to dungeon crawlers.

Top Bottom