• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BYTE HELL 2000 (PSP): Does Any GAFer Dare Own It ?!:

Matix

BYTE HELL 2000 (PSP): Does Anyone Dare Have It ?!:

929287_20060113_screen017.jpg
929287_20060113_screen008.jpg

929287_20060113_screen019.jpg

929287_20060113_screen001.jpg

929287_20060113_screen018.jpg

929287_20060113_screen015.jpg

929287_20060113_screen014.jpg

After checking out the recent GameSpot Preview + New GamePlay Footage, and since it got a okay score in Famitsu... my intrest has kinda grown for this game. So I'm asking the GAF, has anyone tasted a piece of Byte Hell 2000 !!

the game is BAITO HELL, not BYTE HELL. BAITO = ARUBAITO = part-time job(s). you take "jobs" (shitty minigames) to earn money to buy tools, more games, etc. etc.

from what I've seen, the game seems interesting, if not worth $40. it's also pretty damned funny--for example, the pictures at the top are from the ramen timer "tool" you can unlock; the guy and girl flex/bounce around for 3 or 5 minutes talking about how delicious your ramen is going to be! atsuatsu RAMEN MASSURU

there's another tool where you can put the PSP in front of your face and call up different "eyes" and use L and R to blink. it looks really amusing.

the minigames themselves seem pretty mediocre, to say the least. one was like simon with burping animals, another was an exercise in counting animals with foreigners who mix up their -biki, -hiki, and -pikis. another game had you trying to guess a girl's phone number in 7 guesses. despite the game's medicority, the "tools" seem pretty funny, at least in a "show people and everyone laughs for 30 seconds" sort of way.

also, the minigames are SUPPOSED to be terrible--the game has "HELL" in the title and it's the followup to some PSone era game which was a collection of kusoge (shitty games). so...it's hard to really fault the designers for putting shitty minigames in their intentionally shitty game. still hard to justify spending the money, though.

if you like crazy wacky things, keep an eye out for it when it hits $20 (which should be very soon)

Bebpo

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
also, the minigames are SUPPOSED to be terrible--the game has "HELL" in the title and it's the followup to some PSone era game which was a collection of kusoge (shitty games). so...it's hard to really fault the designers for putting shitty minigames in their intentionally shitty game. still hard to justify spending the money, though.

hahaha, you gotta respect them for trying!

xaosslug

Joico said:
Shit that looks insane.... almost like a Wario Ware wannabe...

svenuce said:
without Warioware's charm.

To answer that:

JackFrost2012 said:
the game is BAITO HELL, not BYTE HELL. BAITO = ARUBAITO = part-time job(s)

the game seems interesting, if not worth $40. the pictures at the top are from the ramen timer "tool" you can unlock; the guy and girl flex around for 3 or 5 minutes talking about how delicious your ramen is going to be!

there's another tool where you can put the PSP in front of your face and call up different "eyes" and use L and R to blink.

the minigames themselves seem pretty mediocre. one was like simon with burping animals, another was an exercise in counting animals with foreigners who mix up their -biki, -hiki, and -pikis. but the "tools" seem pretty funny, at least in a "show people and everyone laughs for 30 seconds" sort of way.

Try again! :p

I don't even care to own a PSP. Do your brain a favor and get a good book in your hands instead.... or a SNES emulator.... maybe on your PSP. ...but if you ever install homebrew or emulation on your PSP, then you may never play new games.

I hear that if the PSP, when you play new games on it, will update its BIOS and stop the security holes that let you play unbranded software. :)

Bebpo

Banned
RaymondCarver said:
I don't even care to own a PSP. Do your brain a favor and get a good book in your hands instead.... or a SNES emulator.... maybe on your PSP. ...but if you ever install homebrew or emulation on your PSP, then you may never play new games.

I hear that if the PSP, when you play new games on it, will update its BIOS and stop the security holes that let you play unbranded software. :)

What?

RaymondCarver said:

This is true. So I stopped caring about emulation and joined the ONE HANDHELD FUTURE! Go legitimate PSP gamesoft!

amodf

I picked it up. One one hand, it's absolutely brilliant. The mini-games are so wretched, it's funny! Like picking up trash off a Minna no Golf (tm) golf course, work in the ballpoint pen factory placing caps on pens, KINOKO OR DIE 2 and catch 1000 infield grounders.

Unfortunately, these minigames are absolutely wretched and miserable. None are really that fun, and it takes a long time to get enough money to buy new minigames or tools. It's a complete success on the developer's side, I guess, since it really is a hell of part-time jobs. It's absolutely unfun though and I wouldn't recommend it without a solid grasp on the Japanese language.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
JackFrost2012 said:
If I understand this correctly they went out of their way to make a bad game as a sort of homage to the bad games of past?

What?

White Man

JackFrost2012 said:
This is true. So I stopped caring about emulation and joined the ONE HANDHELD FUTURE! Go legitimate PSP gamesoft!

Same here. EXIT and Katamari made me leap to 2.5.

And this game looks right up my aisle. From your description, Mr. Frost, it appears that it's not that playable for non-Japanese speakers. If I saw this at the import store fairly cheap, is there enough non-Japanese language content to justify a purchase if you're a lad with tastes suited to idiosyncrasies?

White Man said:
And this game looks right up my aisle. From your description, Mr. Frost, it appears that it's not that playable for non-Japanese speakers. If I saw this at the import store fairly cheap, is there enough non-Japanese language content to justify a purchase if you're a lad with tastes suited to idiosyncrasies?

I think you could probably figure a lot of it out, but I wouldn't spend a game over $20.

I would describe Baito Hell this way: once, I went over to a friend's house, everyone had a few drinks, and the conversation turned to terrible games. Suddenly, he sobered up, shouted, "OMG YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS" and went and got a CD-R of a Sega Saturn game called Heartbeat Scramble ("Sclamble," on the jacket). It's a Tokimeki Memorial dating sim ripoff, only all of the girls are grainy digitized photos of real Japanese girls. Really unfortunately unattractive Japanese girls. Ones with scraggly teeth and makeup straight from a Pink Lady album cover and who showed up for the photo shoot in whatever they happened to be wearing when Keisuke called and told them they needed girls to be photographed for their new game and SHE was a girl, right?

There are good games, there are bad games, and there are awful games. But in America, you never even see the lowest of the low: the kusoge. The games so shitty, so terrible, that they aren't even games at all, just 4 guys in a shared apartment trying to make ends meet so that their dream of keeping a game developer open can stay alive, even if it means fucking the consumer horribly.

Baito Hell is a paean to that fine Japanese tradition. And like the most successful parodies, it fully embraces what it is mocking, in the end becoming it itself. So don't hate it because it's terrible. Please!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I think the best American equivalent is the love for incredibly shitty movies. Feeders 1 & 2 are a paragon of that humorous affection. These movies are so horrific that you’ll be in constant hysterics.

EDIT: I forgot to alter the grammer in my last sentence for adding the mention of both Feeder movies.

TekunoRobby said:
I think the best American equivalent is the love for incredibly shitty movies. Feeders 1 & 2 are a paragon of that humorous affection. These movie is so horrific that you’ll be in constant hysterics.

That sounds about right.

There's A-movies, and B-movies, and indie movies, and then there's direct-to-video no-budget Z-grade slasher flicks--that would be your kusoge.

Top Bottom