• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

César Awards (French cinema) 2013 - Winners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how many people on GAF are interested in this but anyway...

Director Roman Polanski and "Blue Is the Warmest Color" actress Adele Exarchopoulos are among winners at France's big film awards.

PARIS -- The 39th annual Cesar Awards, France's big film prizes handed out by the Academy of Cinema Technical Arts and Sciences, began Friday evening at 9pm at the historic Chatelet Theater.

Guillaume Gallienne's box office hit Me, Myself and Mum was the big winner of the evening, taking home five of the ten prizes it was nominated for. The comedy - adapted from his stage show - won in the best film, best adapted screenplay, best editing, best first film and Gallienne took the best actor prize for his performance in multiple roles.

Gallienne missed out on the best director award, which went to Roman Polanski for his Cannes entry Venus in Fur. Polanski gave a brief thirty-speech thanking his producers and those involved with the film.

Best foreign film went to Belgian Felix van Groeningen's Broken Circle Breakdown, which is also in the running for a best foreign film Oscar on Sunday. Van Groeningen wasn't on hand to accept as he in already in Los Angeles to celebrate his nomination, and the award was accepted by lead actor Johan Heldenbergh. He is heading to L.A. on a 6 am. flight, and promised to pack the statue in his suitcase for van Groeningen.

Quentin Tarantino was nominated in the best foreign film category for Django Unchained. He left empty handed in his category, but received praise and thanks from honorary Cesar recipient Scarlett Johansson when he presented her with her statue. Johansson praised his filmmaking. "Thank you Quentin from taking time out from saving us from mediocrity," she said. "Thank you for making us all take a look at ourselves to make us be better. I am deeply in your debt."

The new Parisian, who offended her new neighbors calling them "rude" during a recent appearance on Late Night with David Letterman, thanked the country and city for the honor.

"I am deeply, deeply touched to receive this award tonight I would like to thank France and the city of Paris of embracing me and welcoming me as family. There is not a day that I spend here that I am not deeply touched by the beauty of this city," she offered.

"I am deeply humbled in front of the industry's finest, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Now I have to go and earn this," she said. Backstage she said learning French is her upcoming summer project, but that her time so far has been spent with director Luc Besson filming the upcoming Lucy.
Cannes' big winner Blue is the Warmest Color was nominated in eight categories, but took home only one prize, that for most promising actress for Adele Exarchopoulos. Her co-star Lea Seydoux was passed over for the best actress prize in favor of Sandrine Kiberlain in the pregnancy comedy 9 Month Stretch. It was a formidable category, with Catherine Deneuve, Berenice Bejo and Fanny Ardant also nominated.

Director Abedellatif Kechiche was a no show, though Exarchopoulos said she had hoped he would be there and looked for him when she arrived. Since taking the top prize at Cannes, the cast and director had entered into a months-long public fight that tarnished their historic collective Palme d'Or -- an ugly controversy that may have colored voters feelings toward the film.

Best supporting actress nominee Julie Gayet did show in her first public appearance since being outed as having a relationship with president Francois Hollande and causing the split of the French first couple. Adele Haenel received the award for the coming of age tale Suzanne.

The French Academy is made up of 4,381 members. Here's a complete list of categories and nominees (Updating live):

BEST FILM

BEST DIRECTOR

• **Roman Polanski for Venus in Fur (WINNER)**
  • Albert Dupontel for 9 Month Stretch
  • Guillaume Gallienne for Me, Myself and Mum
  • Alain Guiraudie for Stranger by the Lake
  • Arnaud Desplechin for Jimmy P.
  • Asghar Farhadi for The Past
  • Abdellatif Kechiche for Blue Is the Warmest Color

BEST FOREIGN FILM

BEST ACTRESS

• **Sandrine Kiberlain for 9 Month Stretch (WINNER)**
  • Fanny Ardant for Les Beaux Jours
  • Berenice Bejo for The Past
  • Catherine Deneuve for Elle S'En Va
  • Sara Forestier for Suzanne
  • Emmanuelle Seigner for Venus in Fur
  • Lea Seydoux for Blue Is the Warmest Color

BEST ACTOR

• Mathieu Amalric for Venus in Fur
  • Michel Bouquet for Renoir
  • Albert Dupontel for 9 Month Stretch
  • Gergory Gadebois for Mon Ame Par Toi Guerie
  • **Guillaume Gallienne for Me, Myself and Mum (WINNER)**
  • Fabrice Luchini for Alceste a Bicyclette
  • Mads Mikkelsen for Michael Kohlhaas

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

**Adele Haenel for Suzanne (WINNER)**

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

**Niels Arestrup for Quai d'Orsay (WINNER)**

MOST PROMISING ACTRESS (NEWCOMER)

**Adele Exarchopoulos for Blue Is the Warmest Color (WINNER)**

MOST PROMISING ACTOR (NEWCOMER)

**Pierre Deladonchamps for Stranger by the Lake (WINNER)**

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

**Albert Dupontel for 9 Month Stretch (WINNER)**

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

• **Guillaume Gallienne for Me, Myself and Mum (WINNER)**
  • Arnaud Desplechin for Jimmy P.
  • Antonin Baudry, Christophe Blain and Bertrand Tavernier for Quai d'Orsay
  • David Ives and Roman Polanski for Venus in Fur
  • Abdellatif Kechiche and Ghalya Lacroix for Blue Is the Warmest Color

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC

**Martin Wheeler for Michael Kohlhaas (WINNER)**

BEST SOUND

**Jean-Pierre Duret, Jean Mallet and Melissa Petitjean for Michael Kohlhaas (WINNER)**

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

**Thomas Hardmeier for The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet (WINNER)**

BEST EDITING

**Valerie Deseine for Me, Myself and Mum (WINNER)**

BEST COSTUME

**Pascaline Chavanne for Renoir (WINNER)**

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN (DECOR)

**Stephane Rozenbaum for L'Ecume des Jours (WINNER)**

BEST DOCUMENTARY

**Sur le Chemin de l'Ecole, director Pascal Plisson (WINNER)**

BEST FIRST FILM

**Me, Myself and Mum, director Guillaume Gallienne (WINNER)**

BEST SHORT FILM

** Avant Que de Tout Perdre, director Xavier Legrand (WINNER)**

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM

**Loulou l'Incroyable Secret, director Eric Omond (WINNER)**

BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM

**Mademoiselle Kiki et les Montparnos, director Amelie Harrault (WINNER)**
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/frances-cesar-awards-me-myself-684357

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom