• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabin in The Woods - April 13th - Best horror film in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was fun but I kept waiting for all this genius that I was promised, all of this genre-defying, groundbreaking material that people keep yapping about but it never came.

I just don't think
throwing a bunch of random, nonsensical shit
into something automatically makes it fresh and clever. It was pretty entertaining and hilarious though.

Mr_eX

it was fun but I kept waiting for all this genius that I was promised, all of this genre-defying, groundbreaking material that people keep yapping about but it never came.

I just don't think
throwing a bunch of random, nonsensical shit
into something automatically makes it fresh and clever. It was pretty entertaining and hilarious though.

The killers being the good guys is kind of genre bending

The killers being the good guys is kind of genre bending

they were good guys? could have fooled me! maybe what their overall operation was about, but they were certainly a bunch of assholes.

honestly the most shocking thing about the movie was
Sigourney Weaver out of left field

pargonta

not a masterpiece, but really fun. 3/5
my favorite moments
spoilers
Opening Title
Wolf Make out
Asian Horror slights
motorbike jump build up monologue
Elevator chaos

Jakabok

Great film. It's just a lot of fun.

You scrutinized this plot? Really? The movie had
killer Unicorn in it
Heh,
killer unicorn
was so awesome and random. I was just a bit let down cause it's being hyped here as the smartest, most original horror yet. Definitely a shit-ton of fun though with loads of cool genre homages.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I hated this movie, but I can understand why others enjoy it.

Every time the pothead opened his mouth, just....ugh. This was more "RANDUMB" than Scott Pilgrim, another one I didn't care for.

they were good guys? could have fooled me! maybe what their overall operation was about, but they were certainly a bunch of assholes.

They save the ENTIRE world every single year. I don't know how much more of a "good guy" you could be. Sure, they had an asshole demeanor, but no more than anyone would be if they had a job like that one.

Darryl

Banned

they just wanted you to think they were assholes so it wouldn't ruin the ending. the main "bad guy" in his dying moment refuses dana's help in staying alive but begs of her to kill marty so that the world wouldn't end. he's the real hero.

Best horror movie I've seen in at least 15 years. It's definitely not a straight-up horror movie. Lots of humor.

Kudos for the following:

The pot head was the hero
They let the world end
Hellraiser!
Monster mash
Mermen

Loved it.

They save the ENTIRE world every single year. I don't know how much more of a "good guy" you could be. Sure, they had an asshole demeanor, but no more than anyone would be if they had a job like that one.

sure, but like I said it was their attitude, how they enjoyed it and bet money on what would happen. they didn't exactly win over my respect.

Forkball

So I was reading Roger Ebert and he gave it a positive review. I then checked Rotten Tomatoes and it has 93%. It's actually... good? The last horror film I remember enjoying was Drag Me to Hell, but I may check this out.

Mondriaan

I think I saw one trailer for this movie and I guess I was a little disappointed by one aspect of the movie.
I don't know why I had expected the office workers to be the people who were going to spend a holiday in the cabin. I guess I had hoped for an office space type of atmosphere in a haunted house.

That was about the only expectation I had that was really off-base. I felt like I have seen this premise elsewhere before.
Probably some cthlulupunk RPG supplement, lol.
I think that I would have enjoyed the movie more if my guess had been completely wrong.

I still enjoyed the movie, but I enjoyed the Safe trailer more, but I really enjoyed that trailer.

The Raid is awesome, but gets a bit tiresome by the end. I had more fun on the whole with Cabin, which actually gets better as it goes along. Both great movies though.

Yeah I think I'll do this movie tonight with the wifey and catch The Raid this weekend with my guy friends

~Kinggi~

Banned
not a masterpiece, but really fun. 3/5
my favorite moments
spoilers
Opening Title
Wolf Make out
Asian Horror slights
motorbike jump build up monologue
Elevator chaos

I agree with this opinion.

Entertaining overall but it was hyped up too much. Although, i will say that for real horror fans its definitely worth it and fun. Thats really who it was made for. People not up on films going to see this as a legitimately scary movie will be saying 'dis shit sucks' as they leave the theater. Bunch of people actually were at my showing.

So was the major twist...
That is was actually a comedy?

lol yeah i would actually put that as a bigger twist than anything else.

You're comparing this to Scott Pilgrim? Ugh. Hype totally gone. I'll hate it.

No. I liked Scott Pilgrim (as most people of taste do (sorry)), but this movie is nothing like it. It's not "nonsense". It's a the ultimate deconstruction of the horror genre. It's satirical, but straight-forward. The "twist" isn't stupid and if you
pay attention to the introduction,
it's pretty much spelled out for you.

No. I liked Scott Pilgrim (as most people of taste do (sorry)), but this movie is nothing like it. It's not "nonsense". It's a the ultimate deconstruction of the horror genre. It's satirical, but straight-forward. The "twist" isn't stupid and if you

Satirical in an evil dead 2 way?
Ahhh.. I'll just have to see it for myself.

Mr_eX

If anything it's more like Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz.

sn00zer

Awesome awesome concept for a movie...dunno if the movie meets the ideas behind it but still a lot of fun, lots of jumping and laughing...reminded me of movies like Cube and
Dark City
will put in my collection when it comes out on DVD

The best part though
Its explains literally every horror movie ever, its like the Dark Tower of horror movies, would have been a bit cooler if they used the actual monsters instead of "parodies" of them....loved the rampage at the end, very unexpected, thought we would only see like 1 or 2 monsters....also I like to think of this as a direct sequel to Evil Dead...besides the fact that the cabin looks exactly the same (is it the same?) there are Deadites mentioned on the whiteboard...laughed a lot during the movie as well...only thing I didnt like was the horror aspects were a subpar horror movie

and at the end
Jamie Lee Curtis would have been better than Sigourney....tired of seeing her in "OMG its Sigourney" roles like in Be Kind Rewind and Paul

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So was the major twist...
That is was actually a comedy?

I didn't get the "Evil Dead" comedy type vibe from it. Apparently some do. There's some funny stuff in it but that's because the movie is directly taking aim at horror movie cliches.

I really don't want to even spoiler the ending here.

I don't know if I'd say the ending is a twist........it's just....well utter crazy but cool. :)

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Snoozer-I'm probably thinking about this too hard but I wonder if
in this movie's universe/reality, all horror/monster movies have been *real* all along
and have been obviously filmed for the appeasements of you know who

~Kinggi~

Banned
in this movie's universe/reality, all horror/monster movies have been *real* all along

This would make sense
but they didnt make it real obvious they were committing all this stuff to film. Just observation.

Darryl

Banned

that's what i got out of it

scosher

This movie was amazing fun. I usually don't have the time or patience to watch a movie twice (unless just to see it with another friend), but I immediately wanted to see it again. The whole final twenty minutes,
I wanted to pause and rewind just to see every camera screen

Favorite scenes:

- Japanese schoolgirls banishing evil ghost into a frog
- Zombies eating the remains at the elevator massacre
- The zoom out from the elevator to show all the trapped monsters
- The cut to the group of male engineers waiting for the chick to bare her breasts
- "Am I still on speaker phone?"
- The cellar scene was legitimately creepy

Not the scariest or best horror movie, but imo the funniest horror movie.

I thought the movie was brilliant and while the twist is spelled out fairly early on the implications still managed to shock me.

It's a rare and original treat. Don't miss it.

An-Det

Just got back from it, absolutely loved it. The wonderful mix of horror and self-referential humor was welcome, and there were so many nods to other films and stories.

I loved this movie, and I thought from the promo's I had seen it looked like garbage. Glad to have been proven wrong! I think if you are a big fan of horror, you'll appreciate this more than most people will.

Mr. Hyde

I loved this movie, and I thought from the promo's I had seen it looked like garbage. Glad to have been proven wrong! I think if you are a big fan of horror, you'll appreciate this more than most people will.

My girlfriend dislikes horror films but she loved it and thanked me for talking her into seeing it but I do agree that people who can pick up on all the nods will love it even more.

Replicant

Okay, I can't highlight the spoilers since Australia is backwards and won't screen this until July. So I can only ask one thing: how's the acting? It has some big names but horror movies acting don't usually require anything other than screams and shrieks.

Scarecrow

According to IMDB,
The Pinhead analogue (the one with the puzzle sphere) is named 'Fornicus, Lord of Bondage and Pain'
That got a laugh out of me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Okay, I can't highlight the spoilers since Australia is backwards and won't screen this until July. So I can only ask one thing: how's the acting? It has some big names but horror movies acting don't usually require anything other than screams and shrieks.

All in all he acting is decent and everyone serves their parts well. The draw of the movie is really the concept and story points. Nothing really stands out though as far as acting goes.

It was definitely good enough. Nothing stood out to me as being bad.

All in all this movie was FUCKING AWESOME. Just the kick in the dick in the balls horror movies needed.

You didn't recognize her voice?

Magnus

Truly phenomenal film!

I could've sworn Marty was going to declare himself a virgin at the end and blow the girl away to save the world. Instead we got God of War Chronos fist eruption.

And yeah
the guys working the whole operation were assholes. I was glad they all died horrible deaths and if I were the pothead I'd say fuck the world after that whole ordeal, too.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Saw this. Loved how it kept me guessing, the humor, some scares, and the overall flow. It surprised me COUNTLESS times. I was very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom