• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California gas prices jump 31 cents in 1 week on refinery woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

The average cost of a gallon of regular in California hit $3.71 on Monday, according to GasBuddy.com. Less than a month ago, in mid-April, regular was selling for less than $3.10.

And while gas prices have been moving higher nationwide, California has by far the nation’s priciest fuel. Even Hawaii currently pays less, with an average of $3.20. The national average stands at $2.63, according to GasBuddy.com.

Analysts blame the current spike on production glitches at the Tesoro refinery in Martinez and the Chevron refinery in Richmond, which suffered a flaring incident on April 21.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/California-gas-prices-jump-31-cents-in-1-week-on-6241905.php

Sigh. I waited until this week to get gas, and I'm going to pay an extra 30 cents per gallon for it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Oil industry has to find some way to raise prices. How are they supposed to put food on the table making only $2.5 billion in profits per quarter?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
No wonder I was mad looking at the pump the other day. I couldn't quite place my finger on why I was frustrated as I put the nozzle on its platform and got back in my car.

Golly what a coincidence, OPEC begins pushing oil prices down and dang these rickety ol' refineries if they don't keep shutting down on accident.

week or so ago I filled up for like 3.20ish. filled up couple days ago and it was like 3.60ish. I was like wtf wait a minute that cant be right. drove by a few others and they were all the same. stupid

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well that explains why gas prices shot up in the last week. Right now I'll probably be paying about $3.44/gal at Costco or somewhere. Otherwise places like Chevron have gas at like $3.76/gal. Damn you California gas prices ;_;.

Ugh noticed this yesterday when I went to fill gas. Last week I filled for like 3.29 and then this week it was 3.79. I hope it doesn't hit 5$ in summer again, but I feel it will. Wallet is gonna suffer t_t.

I've always been pissed that there are major refineries in my backyard, but yet I am paying more for gas. I am like 5 miles from that Tesoro refinery, fuck these expensive prices.

Oh I noticed.

Just a couple weeks ago it was at a good 3.30-3.40 for premium at Chevron. Now it's 4.11 for premium. As if living in Cali wasn't expensive enough.

Do you really think that is going to stop us? I bought a raptor when gas was hitting $5 a gallon.

Yes it will. It stopped many people when gas was at or close to $5/gallon. At that time I was using mass transit. And when gas started going beyond $4/gallon the trains and buses become jammed packed. And there were numerous reports of car demand shifting towards hybrids and other fuel efficient vehicles.

Prices went up 76 cents since I filled up last month.

Was $2.90 and I paid $3.66 at the pump on Sunday.

My next car is probably going to be a Prius.

I drive the Prius-C. I only fill up about once a month. Get a bit over 50 mpg with a 20 mile round trip daily commute.

I dunno how people justify non hybrids in this state. Only reason I bought one was the absurdity of gas prices.

Yes it will. It stopped many people when gas was at or close to $5/gallon. At that time I was using mass transit. And when gas started going beyond $4/gallon the trains and buses become jammed packed. And there were numerous reports of car demand shifting towards hybrids and other fuel efficient vehicles.

That may have been the case in your city but sales for pick up trucks have been climbing year after year since 2008.

I don't mind really; I used to pay $4 a gallon for gas and I'd be willing to pay for it again. Why complain over an extra $10 at the pumps every week or two? Yet some people act like it's the worst thing that's ever happened to them and the oil companies are the devil.

FinKL

I swear it was $3.00 here last week or 2 weeks ago and now its $3.30. I knew I wasn't crazy thinking thats a big jump so quick

I don't mind really; I used to pay $4 a gallon for gas and I'd be willing to pay for it again. Why complain over an extra $10 at the pumps every week or two? Yet some people act like it's the worst thing that's ever happened to them and the oil companies are the devil.

For persons on a tight budget, gas is one of those things that if it fluctuates up alot, you're forced to go without in other areas of your budget that you can be more flexible/creative with. You need a car to get to work, and your car needs gas.

subrock

As someone who's lives where gas is sold by the litre, I have no idea why 30 cents seems like a lot. We regularly see $.08/litre jumps in Canada.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
There must be no competition then?

Because what incentive is there to no have Refinery problems if they cause you to make more money?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I mean, feel free to be happy to get fucked up the ass, I guess.

Tripon

I drive a Matrix, gets decent gas mileage, but fuck having my bill go from $60 a month to $120 or more, especially when the rest of the country isn't experiencing this wide gulf of price ranges.

There must be no competition then?

Because what incentive is there to no have Refinery problems if they cause you to make more money?

There's some competition, but the main issue is that California has its own blend of gas, so a supply issues at one of it's refineries directly correlate to a disproportionally large shift in supply.

It's fine*. More ammo for me to convince my wife that we need a Tesla.

It will be a glorious day when EV overtakes ICE and these oil companies go down.

*It's not actually fine. These prices are getting ridiculous again.

ShowDog

I noticed the 80 cent jump in a weeks time and wondered what the hell was going on, there is usually an accompanying news story to cover their bullshit reasons for price gouging.

I have friends and family members on fixed budgets. A spike in fuel prices will affect the poor extremely adversely as everything from food to public transportation will follow suit.

Yeah it's not much to me but $10/week isn't nothing to everybody.

My friend works as a researcher at the el Segundo refinery. He says flares are pretty common and not usually reported on.

Undoubtedly this is an excuse

Couleurs

So is this where Fox News shifts back from "cheap gas hurts economy" to "gas prices are higher under Obama than Bush"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom