• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Refinery running at full capacity again | Midwest gas prices expected to fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wthr.com/story/29874575/indiana-gas-refinery-running-again-gas-prices-expected-to-drop

BP's refinery safely restarted Tuesday, according to a statement from BP obtained by GasBuddy.

As such, Patrick DeHaan, senior petroleum analyst with GasBuddy.com, anticipates a steep decline in the price of gasoline throughout the Midwest, so long as operations at the refinery (and other refineries in the region) continue with no new problems.

Gasoline prices in Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin and neighboring states affected by the refinery could fall 20-50 cents a gallon over the next two weeks, according to DeHaan.

I tried not to copy the whole article but it's quite short so it's most of it

So my recommendation would probably be to hold off on filling up if possible and/or fill up partially if the gas station you fill up at is already on your daily route

Lock if old

Also a helpful chart

ch.gaschart

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Fucking petroleum industry. Took two days following the refinery incident for gas prices to rise by 75 cents in the state, and two WEEKS for them to return to the pre incident price at the pump...

EYEL1NER

I talked to my wife half an hour ago and she said she filled up this morning in SC for $2.08/gallon. So close to dipping under $2.00....

Kieli

I talked to my wife half an hour ago and she said she filled up this morning in SC for $2.08/gallon. So close to dipping under $2.00....

54.2 cents per liter?!?!?!?

That's absurdly cheap.

Edit: Then again, 54.2 cents US is about $123,456,789.00 CAD.

Fucking petroleum industry. Took two days following the refinery incident for gas prices to rise by 75 cents in the state, and two WEEKS for them to return to the pre incident price at the pump...
Well, it is a free market and thankfully there are alternatives to oil based transport now.

SelfAvatarQuote.jpg

Oh so I made a slight mistake with the title

http://www.ft.com/fastft/381951/bp-returns-whiting-oil-refinery-full-action

BP said it:

Has safely restarted a large crude distillation unit that had been shut down since Aug. 8 for unscheduled repair work.

Restart of this unit is increasing the refinery's fuel production, with output ramping up over time.

The rest of the refinery continues to operate safely. In the meantime, the company continues to meet its contractual fuel supply obligations.

I'll PM a mod a more appropriate title

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Good, Whiting is 15 minutes from my house. The day shit went wrong, gas shot up to over $3.

Thank goodness. Keep hearing every day on the radio "OIL BARRELS AT ALL TIME LOW, NATIONAL AVERAGE IS (BLANK)" and passing by pumps selling unleaded for $3.00+ and crying.

Gimmie dat sub $2.00 price!

daveo42

Banned
Cool. I'll be sure to try and avoid filling up for another two weeks as gas prices come down closer to the national average. It's still about $2.80 in Ohio.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It rose a dollar in literally two days around here.

Can't wait to see it drop 5 cents a week until it gets back to that price.

alejob

I feel like we are getting robbed blind. Oil prices are down and have been lower than what they were back in February and yet gas prices are fairly high. We are paying almost 50% more than what we did then. Im thinking we are subsidizing the shale drillers now. Prices are being kept artificially high.

Ganhyun

Funny enough, Georgia passed a new gas tax not too long ago apparently and a couple of weeks ago, stations were confused as to if it was in effect or not as some were 20 cent cheaper than other stations around them. A couple weeks later those cheaper stations rose up to the price of the others, so I guess they got the memo.

I feel like we are getting robbed blind. Oil prices are down and have been lower than what they were back in February and yet gas prices are fairly high. We are paying almost 50% more than what we did then. Im thinking we are subsidizing the shale drillers now. Prices are being kept artificially high.

Well looking at the graph below you can tell where things stand depending on the spread of the midwest location [Rockford, IL] and the US average versus the state of the oil refinery

• Prior to the refinery shutdown [partial shutdown], the Rockford area was paying around 7 cents less a gallon for gas than the US average
  • At the peak price after the shutdown which occured roughly 5 days after the shutdown, rockford was paying around 37 cents more a gallon more than the US average
  • Once the refinery was repaired [but not fully operational I guess?] the rockford area was paying around 15 cents more a gallon than the US average a week after the refinery was repaired

Thus we're still do something like a 22 cent drop relative to the US average to at least get back to where we were. I'm sure that will happen anyday now...
:(

ch.gaschart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom