• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gas prices rising in the eastern US, stations in the southeast running out of gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dishwalla

Banned
Hmm perhaps this squeeze could cause some more people in the south to think about electric vehicles and the state of our infrastructure overall. Not to mention what a similar incident could mean if the pipeline heading through Native American land is completed.

Anyway, I hope it's fixed soon, and that the oil spilled doesn't cause too much damage.

lol I have a 33 gal truck and my wife has a 23 gal SUV. #NoRagrets

ZarKryn7

Was doing some college trig homework last night until my folks ram in and told me "we gotta gas NOW!" I was so confused until I head out driving around noticed just about every gas station is clustered. 2 of them ran out already are out.

Eyup. The gas crisis is real.

gwarm01

Hahahaha. Oh, wait, you're serious? Oh my sweet summer child. You obviously don't know the South East.
Everytime I tell my co-workers I'm interested in getting a Tesla I get barraged with the typical "well what if I decided to drive three states away today?"

It's like they get mad at the idea of anyone wanting an electric car.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

She's not entirely wrong. Panicking and buying gas when you otherwise wouldn't just makes the situation worse. The only reason stations around here (north Alabama) ran out Friday is because they were doing 4-5x as much business as a typical day due to panic.

And what do you know, most of those that were out have gotten deliveries since then, and aren't out anymore.

thefro

I don't know how feasible this is but how is "we fucked up and spilled a bunch of our product so now we must charge you more for it" allowed? Especially when it is gas, a commodity not a luxury item.

It costs more to transport the gasoline since the pipeline is down. The tanker trucks have to travel further.

Pretty simple. In a lot of cases the gas stations are probably buying gas from other suppliers who have nothing to do with the pipeline.

20 cents is pretty minor compared to "lol random critical refinery maintenance!" which seems to randomly happen whenever oil prices tank.

Jombie

Apparently the news coverage is just making it worse, a gas delivery driver said the supply (at least here in north Alabama) is fine, but since people rushed to get gas out of concerns some stations ran out.

I'm from North Al, and didn't have a problem last night. But yeah, these fucks will go out and fill up a trailer bed filled with gas cans at the first mention of a gas shortage. Same thing happened with the tornados in '11. Infuriating.

Georgia-GAF, you have my sympathy. I remember the big gas shortage in Metro Atlanta almost a decade ago where I saw people in trucks filling up multiple 5-10 gallon gas cans and lines stretching back onto the interstate. I can only imagine it's about the same this time around.
Nah, it's not this bad this time around.

It's just been the "panic" that gas is gonna run out around here that's causing the shortages. We should be fine by the end of the week.

If this was a normal week for me, I could get by on the 1/4 tank I have. Stupid work meetings, which will probably be a complete waste of time.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Was completely dry yesterday and had to fill up. Two stations neat me were empty of gas with bags on the pistols. Next station was packed with people in line. Nasty situation, but one of the empty stations had fuel this morning.

Hex

Banned
And people wonder why they are protesting so hard up in the Dakotas.
250 k f'ing gallons leaked out and what? "Whoops?"

Like someone said, it is amazing how little you are hearing about that.

As someone who lives in california, this thread is hilarious. and also sad.

I can't remember the last time I paid less than $3 a gallon

Has only bumped up a few cents here in the mountains of North Carolina. Haven't seen any stations run out yet, which is surprising since the area was packed this weekend with App State hosting Miami. Maybe we're far enough north that the impacts are minimal.

Slayven

Pretty crazy in ATL. Lines and outages at gas stations have people thinking they won't be able to refill for weeks and that they have to fill now before prices spike to $4/gallon.

100% for an EV future where people can charge at home and not be freaked out by lines and prices at gas stations.
any bread or milk left on the shelves?

Travo

I'm really amazed at how little the media cares about this.

FLAguy954

Yeah, you bet your ass that I signed that petition too.

Lol, and I complain when gas prices reach $3 a gallon here in Southern CA. :p It's $2.49 where I live, 5 minute walk to nearest gas station.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The spill sounds like a lot, and it is damaging to the local ecosystem.

But it's less than half an Olympic swimming pool

This is price gouging

Maybe we'll see prices here in Louisiana crater briefly if there's a sudden glut.

The spill sounds like a lot, and it is damaging to the local ecosystem.

But it's less than half an Olympic swimming pool

This is price gouging
I think it's more that there's currently no oil flowing, rather than all the oil leaked away.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Was completely dry yesterday and had to fill up. Two stations neat me were empty of gas with bags on the pistols. Next station was packed with people in line. Nasty situation, but one of the empty stations had fuel this morning.
Just following up on my own post, the one which reloaded today was empty again a few hours later when I drove by. (Bags on all the pistols...no customers.)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The family was out and the wife said she needed gas. Holy fuck that scare made it stupid.

Had to go to 6 stations where I live in GA to find gas. FFS

rambis

Banned
Im in Atlanta, other than the QTs I haven't had much trouble getting gas. Kinda wondering what the fuss is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom