• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. gas prices 'crash'

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason it tickles me that Americans refer to Petroleum as gas, when clearly at the time of purchase it's a liquid. Anyway...........

Gas is short for gasoline.
Apparently it was called gasoline (or gasolene) before it was used as a motor fuel, and Petrol was already trademarked in the US.

Gas is short for gasoline.
Apparently it was called gasoline (or gasolene) before it was used as a motor fuel, and Petrol was already trademarked in the US.

And Petrol is short for Petroleum which is a bad name for a motor fuel since it means Rock Oil. Language tends to be amazingly arbitrary and there is little rhyme or reason to it.

ijm72

I hope it stays like that until I get back in the country. I am down in Venezuela for work and was surprised to learn that they practically give gas out down here.

I was young but I even remember this. Hell I remember just a few years ago, gas prices were around 3.00 and fell all the way down to 1.04..I loved it.

Edit: Here in the South we have a grocery chain WINN-DIXIE and they have a reward card where if you spend a certain amount, you get 5% off your fuel. Or if you buy certain products you automatically get anywhere between 5-15%. I know some people who wait and rack up the percentage so the next time they get gas, it's pretty much free.

My mom does some crazy shit with coupons were she gets at least $35 worth of groceries and a $50 gas card for at most $40.

So tired of the gas price roller coaster. I want to make the jump to electric (Tesla Model S) if it's feasible for me in a year or so.

It would be nice if I could do some kind of 1 month test with an electric car to see if it truly fits my needs, lifestyle, etc. If I want to take a road trip to SF I'd like to be able to do it in my car and not a rental. Can I do it in an electric? How much will charging delay my drive time? Can I take PCH or do I have to stick to the 5? How about driving to Mammoth or even Phoenix? I'd like to really find out what the realities are before making the commitment. Tesla should do some kind of trial program in the form of a 1 or 2 month rental before committing to buy.
Instead of buying a $80K EV why not a $35K EV and a $35K gas car?

Higher prices also hurts people who have jobs delivering things and need to pay for gas to do so. That's something society is growing increasingly reliant on. I don't fucking care about the environment when gas prices are making it difficult to live as it is *right now*. Besides, there is no such thing as unscrupulous consumption. If someone paid for their car they should be able to drive it as much as they want without worrying about it too much.

You cannot own and operate a vehicle in a vacuum. The ownership and operation of a motor vehicle is predicated on infrastructure and externalities such as air quality, and overall environment. We in the US completely disregard both the infrastructure and the externalities.

Valnen

If current gas is, let's say, $3.00 / gallon, and you want it to be $0.99 / gallon, but expect the government to some how make up the difference (so, let's just say $2.00 for the ease of calculation) per gallon, and the U.S. consumes ~134 billion gallons annually... yep, the U.S. government would have to pay out about $268,000,000,000 annually to subsidize that difference in price. The annual U.S. budget is around $2.3 trillion, if my memory serves (maybe as high as $3 trillion).

As I was typing this, I was going to argue that you're insane, but looking at the figures, we could slash the U.S. military budget by $270 billion from its current ~$700 billion to drop the price of every gallon of gas in the U.S. by $2.00 while still spending more on our military than any country in the world by a long shot.

Damn.

Also, I'm in a hurry, so if my math sucks I apologize in advance.
The government shouldn't have to make up the difference, the oil companies should just eat the loss.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Seriously. They have us well conditioned to think that $3.20 is cheap.

Who is they?

Oil is a global commodity, supply is going down, demand up.

I'm actually very concerned about these price drops. One likely reason is that economic activity is retracting, we may have a nasty round of earnings and unemployment stagnate for 6 months. So fucking tired of this false crisis shit.

I remember when I was a little kid (so in the early-mid 90s) and having to drive through parts of WV during holiday time and there being gas that cost less than $1.

That said, why is this "crash" news? I thought gas prices always swell in the summer and shrink around winter...

FStop7

Banned
Instead of buying a $80K EV why not a $35K EV and a $35K gas car?

Without going off topic I would rather have one car (I've had two and it kinda sucks) and the S best fits what I want in terms of balancing looks/practicality/performance.

The Volt is probably a better fit for me in terms of flexibility but it's so... ugly... and not very fun.

The government shouldn't have to make up the difference, the oil companies should just eat the loss.

Then they go bankrupt and you get no gas at all. Dude, grow up.

This attitude of "I deserve to get cheap gasoline." is beyond ridiculous. Why not just ask for the ability to fly and free blow-jobs?

It is difficult and expensive to find, extract, ship, refine, and distribute gasoline. Anyone who thinks they can do a better job can raise capital and jump into the game. But the USA has been drilling up the country for 150+ years now and it is harder and harder to find oil. Combine that with the fact that China has finally woken up from Mao-induced slumber and is buying up more & more oil on international markets and you get the cold hard fact that gasoline prices have gone up and they will continue going up.

So get used to it and try to figure out ways to avoid using oil or using it more efficiently. Whining is not going to help at all and nor will demanding the government do something they simply cannot do.

Then they go bankrupt and you get no gas at all. Dude, grow up.

This attitude of "I deserve to get cheap gasoline." is beyond ridiculous. Why not just ask for the ability to fly and free blow-jobs?

It is difficult and expensive to find, extract, ship, refine, and distribute gasoline. Anyone who thinks they can do a better job can raise capital and jump into the game. But the USA has been drilling up the country for 150+ years now and it is harder and harder to find oil. Combine that with the fact that China has finally woken up from Mao-induced slumber and is buying up more & more oil on international markets and you get the cold hard fact that gasoline prices have gone up and they will continue going up.

So get used to it and try to figure out ways to avoid using oil or using it more efficiently. Whining is not going to help at all and nor will demanding the government do something they simply cannot do.

The "I deserve cheap ________________" is prevalent in just about everything now. TV's should be cheap... CE profits be damned. Game consoles be cheap, hardware producers be damned. Clothing should be cheap, ethics and working conditions of people producing said clothes be damned.

Edit:
Without going off topic I would rather have one car (I've had two and it kinda sucks) and the S best fits what I want in terms of balancing looks/practicality/performance.

The Volt is probably a better fit for me in terms of flexibility but it's so... ugly... and not very fun.

As a huge fanboy of the Tesla... I have to disagree with your Volt comment. I think it's beautiful. And I say that while believing the Tesla is my dream car (yes over Ferraris and Lambos).

Well, hopefully more PHEVs will be coming on the market. Ford has the C-Max hybrid Energi PHEV on the market and the Fusion hybrid Energi PHEV is coming soon. However, Ford is currently taking heat for maybe fudging their MPG numbers.

GM has a Cadillic ELR coming to market with the Voltec drivetrain in it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
spec, let's not be obtuse here. While I don't think oil companies have any obligation to operate at cost or anything ridiculous like that, they continually post record profits quarter after quarter, and their CEO's rake in so much cash that they're pretty much continually throwing hundreds of millions into political races to get Republicans elected.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
If gas prices drop significantly and the dollar does not strengthen, it means economic contraction. The days of low prices and economic prosperity are over.

And you can whine about Exxon's 10% margins all you want, but think about what 10% margins mean...

spec, let's not be obtuse here. While I don't think oil companies have any obligation to operate at cost or anything ridiculous like that, they continually post record profits quarter after quarter, and their CEO's rake in so much cash that they're pretty much continually throwing hundreds of millions into political races to get Republicans elected.
Undoubtedly they do make a lot of money. They are a big powerful industry. But part of that is our own damn fault. We let ourselves become completely dependent upon them.

And though they make a lot of money, the margins that the oil companies get are much smaller than the margins Apple Computer collects and you don't hear too many screaming about how Apple should be forced to lower their prices. No, people say "Well don't buy Apple's products if you think they are too expensive!" And the same is true of gasoline.

I know . . . here come the whines of "But I don't have any choice." Yes you do.
-Live closer to work
-Buy a much more efficient car
-Bicycle (or an electric bike)
-Use public transportation
-Buy an Electric car

If you choose not to do these things then you really don't have anyone to blame but yourself. I know . . . the current paradigm is all built on cheap gas. Well those days are over. Adjust to the new reality.

Valnen

The "I deserve cheap ________________" is prevalent in just about everything now. TV's should be cheap... CE profits be damned. Game consoles be cheap, hardware producers be damned. Clothing should be cheap, ethics and working conditions of people producing said clothes be damned.

If stuff I need to live can't be cheap then wages should be higher. One or the other.

I have trouble believing stuff can't be cheaper when the CEO's of these corporations are millionaires/billionaires.

Valnen

-Live closer to work
Not an option for many as living expenses can be much higher in areas close to people's jobs.
-Buy a much more efficient car
Not an option for most people when they're so expensive.
-Bicycle (or an electric bike)
You're joking right? A lot of people live way too far from their jobs for this. If you work in the city, good luck affording both gas and your rent. Hell, good luck just affording your rent.
-Use public transportation
This is an option for more people but still doesn't cover everyone I'm afraid, and doesn't cover people who deliver things for a living and have to pay for their own gas.
-Buy an Electric car
See above about the more efficient car.
If you choose not to do these things then you really don't have anyone to blame but yourself.

You seem detached from reality if you believe this. I don't even have a car anymore because of how much gas costs, and probably never will again. That's a problem in a country that just assumes you have one. Many places would outright refuse to hire me based on that fact. Not to mention not having a car means having much less freedom and satisfaction from life in general.

Mikor

it costs me $8.2005 for a US gallon of fuel in my country

stop complaining.

You likely have a useful and functional system of public transportation in your country, and if not, can easily go to your place of work/study/leisure/etc with a short walk. Our sprawled out, suburban nation, does not have those things.

Stop complaining.

Many places would outright refuse to hire me based on that fact.

It's true - I've had to lie about owning a car in order to get employment during some tough times I was going through. In most places in the United States, if you don't have a car, you may as well not be here.

You likely have a useful and functional system of public transportation in your country, and if not, can easily go to your place of work/study/leisure/etc with a short walk. Our sprawled out, suburban nation, does not have those things.

Stop complaining.

Someone hasn't tried to ride the london tube on the weekend. and thats the best we have got.

Ok then.

We paid for our low gas prices in the form of the taxes our country spent waging wars in the Middle East.

Not that I condone the wars, just saying.

we pay way more tax too. On EVERYTHING.

Sad times we live in when $3.20/g Gas is considered a 'crash'.

Fuck, I hate myself for buying a goddamned truck. Can't wait until I can trade it in for something more fuel efficient.

Your tax money probably goes to things like universal healthcare, though.

Cant argue with that. never the less, in terms of gas prices, The US has it way better than anywhere else. Lets not pretend you guys don't have massive urban areas with great public transport or that Europe doesn't have some extremely remote areas where public transport doesn't exist.

Not an option for many as living expenses can be much higher in areas close to people's jobs.

Not an option for most people when they're so expensive.

You're joking right? A lot of people live way too far from their jobs for this. If you work in the city, good luck affording both gas and your rent. Hell, good luck just affording your rent.

This is an option for more people but still doesn't cover everyone I'm afraid, and doesn't cover people who deliver things for a living and have to pay for their own gas.

See above about the more efficient car.

You seem detached from reality if you believe this. I don't even have a car anymore because of how much gas costs, and probably never will again. That's a problem in a country that just assumes you have one. Many places would outright refuse to hire me based on that fact. Not to mention not having a car means having much less freedom and satisfaction from life in general.

Those are all real options and you best learn to start to deal with reality because the situation is only going to get worse. I think it is admirable that you don't have a car but you seem bitter that you were forced into it. Well, that is probably going to be the future for more and more people. Gasoline usage has dropped in both Europe and USA as our economies struggle to pay for cars/insurance/gas/maintenance/etc.

Mikor

Cant argue with that. never the less, in terms of gas prices, The US has it way better than anywhere else. Lets not pretend you guys don't have massive urban areas with great public transport or that Europe doesn't have some extremely remote areas where public transport doesn't exist.

Aside from New York and LA, which take up a fraction of a % of the combined land mass of the United States that is inhabited, please enlighten me as to where these massive urban areas with great public transport are. Clearly living in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale metropolitan area isn't massive or urban enough to justify having a great public transportation system.

Valnen

Those are all real options and you best learn to start to deal with reality because the situation is only going to get worse.
Most of the options assume you are probably making quite a bit of money, except the public transportation one. But even that will become unbearably expensive is gas prices aren't controlled.
I think it is admirable that you don't have a car but you seem bitter that you were forced into it. Well, that is probably going to be the future for more and more people.
Then alternatives need to pop up for transportation beyond what we have now because the situation just isn't good. Either that or the oil companies should be forced to suffer a bit too. They don't need to make record profits every year.

Aside from New York and LA, which take up a fraction of a % of the combined land mass of the United States that is inhabited, please enlighten me as to where these massive urban areas with great public transport are. Clearly living in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale metropolitan area isn't massive or urban enough to justify having a great public transportation system.

Ok. I have no answer to that as I do not have intimate knowledge of the transport system of every US state. I concede.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I started driving when it was 89 cents a gallon so I am not impressed..

GManDH

i wish gas would go back down to just 2.50. that would save me so much money. for people who dont drive that much, the price doesnt harm them that much but for someone who drives 50+ miles a day, ME, and has to take a trip to orlando once a moth, gas prices matter.

When are we getting proper electric cars so we can end this crap?

never, seen a lot of the investment backers for electric vehicles are the oil companies lol. jk haha.

OP: I despise the oil companies.

I understand the whole concept of supply and demand.

But when they are posting record profits while we are paying 4 bucks a gallon and what not, I feel like they are just bending over the population to make that extra scratch.

I mean, I may be wrong about this, but if price of oil goes up price of gas goes up right? I know that's like totally at it's most basic premise haha. But seriously, if oil prices go up, gas prices goes up, how the fuck are they making record profits? Wouldn't profits be still in the same ball park?

Something that has always annoyed me.

thcsquad

The answer is 'north of the Mason-Dixon line'. The South is known for having shitty public transit, most major cities not in Texas or Florida have at least decent public transit. Boston, Chicago, and DC are the ones I have personally experienced and they're all phenomenal. I've never been to SF but my friend out there sold his car shortly after moving there so I guess they're probably fine.

Land mass? What does that matter? Population does. 18 million people, or 1 in 16 Americans, live in the NY Metro Area alone.

Slavik81

I hope it stays like that until I get back in the country. I am down in Venezuela for work and was surprised to learn that they practically give gas out down here.
That's because they do. The government subsidises gasoline in Venezuela. It's a terrible policy that results in additional waste and pollution.

The answer is 'north of the Mason-Dixon line'. The South is known for having shitty public transit, most major cities not in Texas or Florida have at least decent public transit. Boston, Chicago, and DC are the ones I have personally experienced and they're all phenomenal. I've never been to SF but my friend out there sold his car shortly after moving there so I guess they're probably fine.

Land mass? What does that matter? Population does. 18 million people, or 1 in 16 Americans, live in the NY Metro Area alone.

Population density is a major factor,
Every time a politician brings up something like a subway being built around here(Brimingham, AL)
they get laughed at by everyone. it just doesn't make sense, buses have also cut some routes because people just don't ride them enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom