• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gas prices rising in the eastern US, stations in the southeast running out of gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lubricus

As news began to emerge last weekend that the Colonial Pipeline Line 1 had experience a failure or small leak, veterans of pipeline infrastructure began to pay closer attention. The pipeline is America's biggest gasoline products conduit that supplies the world's single largest petroleum products market: the U.S. Northeast as well as plenty of communities along the way from Houston, Texas to Linden, New Jersey. Fully, 40% of all New York Harbour gasoline comes via the Colonial, so what happens to that line really matters to drivers.
At the time of writing, the pipeline operator had confirmed that work was underway to rebuild the ruptured segment of the line near Helena, Alabama where it is thought that 250,000 gallons or 6,000 barrels had seeped into and affected a two acre area, causing a "fuel emergency".
Given the line's significance to the eastern part of the North American continent, its mention by business media, energy traders and affect on drivers and prices can be underestimated. A disruption to the Colonial has been likened quite aptly to the human aorta: a blockage or shutdown is not something to take lightly.
Already, the affected States of Tennessee, Alabama, North and South Carolina, and Georgia have taken the brunt, with truckers now being permitted to haul longer hours to fill the gap, stations running out and of course higher gas prices. Indeed, since the spill, the market has added 12.3 cents a gallon to the price at the pipeline's terminus at Linden NJ. The longer the pipeline remains idle, that price could double, although the operator believes, perhaps optimistically the line could be flowing again by midweek. If not, look to that price rising once again by a similar amount.

https://blog.gasbuddy.com/posts/A-pipeline-rupture-like-few-others/1715-654347-3847.aspx

I'm in Georgia. Friday morning gas was $2.09/gallon. By 4 PM EDT on Friday price was up to $2.29/gal. I filled up Friday afternoon.
Yesterday, some stations in the Atlanta area were out of gas.
If you have to drive in the southeast US the next few days, plan carefully.

UPDATE: The bypass of the pipeline has been finished. It is supposed to start transporting gas on Wednesday 9/21. It may be a few days before all stations have gas.

Company: New pipeline segment complete after leak led to gas shortage; main gasoline line expected to restart Wednesday.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/company-pipeline-segment-complete-leak-led-gas-shortage-42219326

It's nutty. Stopped by two stations in Alpharetta yesterday that were out of Regular and Plus. Price is up 30 cents in my area over the past 48 hours :/

zethren

Banned
I'm in Georgia as well, and I'm extremely low on gas. Most stations in my area are totally empty, the ones I went out to last night anyway. I'm going to to back out this morning to see if any managed to refill. Not sure how I'll make it to work tomorrow morning if I can't fill up today...

Gas has been at $2.20 for the last few days. Regret not filling up when it was $1.95 a couple weeks back. Then I remember I use barely any fuel and my car has a small tank so the change difference is negligible to me. Like $3 more to go from completely empty to full tank, which I only have to do once a month.

This is in central Michigan.

Azerare

I guess it'd be wise to try to fuel up now. Hopefully I can find some that are still good because I'm running close to empty currently.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
We dumped a quarter million gallons into the ground and we're freaking out over 20 cents?

Machine

The way the pipeline leak is affecting gas prices seems to be getting more press than the actual leak itself did. Sad when you think about it. To me the environmental damage should be a bigger issue than the short-term effect on peoples' wallets.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently the news coverage is just making it worse, a gas delivery driver said the supply (at least here in north Alabama) is fine, but since people rushed to get gas out of concerns some stations ran out.

Yep. Had to fill up last night and found that every gas station in Atlanta had jumped up by 30-40 cents. It was the first time in a long time that I had to pay over $30 to fill my tank.

I filled up the day after it happened since I was at Sam's Club anyway and gas was still $2.14 while the Racetrac across the street was $2.26. Some of my friends in the NW Atlanta metro have had a lot of trouble finding gas.

I've got enough between two vehicles where I could be good for a week, but of course now I have to drive into work twice this week. I haven't had to go in months.

Figures.

2MF

We dumped a quarter million gallons into the ground and we're freaking out over 20 cents?

It sounds like a lot until you realize that an Olympic swimming pool has almost 3 times as much volume. Unless the oil was dumped in a populated area, no one cares about 250k gallons.

mackattk

Yeah, I haven't went out and looked yet, but I have 3/4 of a tank left so I should be ok. But a lot of people I know, started freaking out about gas and going out and getting it, most of them didn't know that cause, just that everyone else was doing it.

AYF 001

Hmm perhaps this squeeze could cause some more people in the south to think about electric vehicles and the state of our infrastructure overall. Not to mention what a similar incident could mean if the pipeline heading through Native American land is completed.

Anyway, I hope it's fixed soon, and that the oil spilled doesn't cause too much damage.

giga

Pretty crazy in ATL. Lines and outages at gas stations have people thinking they won't be able to refill for weeks and that they have to fill now before prices spike to $4/gallon.

100% for an EV future where people can charge at home and not be freaked out by lines and prices at gas stations.

Pretty crazy in ATL. Lines and outages at gas stations have people thinking they won't be able to refill for weeks and that they have to fill now before prices spike to $4/gallon.

100% for an EV future where people can charge at home and not be freaked out by lines and prices at gas stations.

EV doesn't fix our shitty traffic though. If I have to be at work at 9am, I leave around 5:30. Fuck traffic in a manual.

Hmm perhaps this squeeze could cause some more people in the south to think about electric vehicles and the state of our infrastructure overall. Not to mention what a similar incident could mean if the pipeline heading through Native American land is completed.

Anyway, I hope it's fixed soon, and that the oil spilled doesn't cause too much damage.

I've actually found charging stations in the south out in public places unlike in the NE. The only ones I seem to recall seeing in the DC area is in parking garages out of sight and out of mind.

Thinking of an electric car is the last thing on most people's mind after a .20 increase. It could go up to $4.00 per gallon and it's not going to cause a huge shift. That's an investment and most people spending that amount of cash is going to get the gas powered car they have been wanting for years.

Saw this thread and quickly went to gas station and filled up while it was still $2.01. Ohio btw

Didn't want wait till monday and regret it.

giga

EV doesn't fix our shitty traffic though. If I have to be at work at 9am, I leave around 5:30. Fuck traffic in a manual.

Sure, but that's a separate and broader social issue within the greater metro area. Marta is doing what it can within those bounds.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
It sounds like a lot until you realize that an Olympic swimming pool has almost 3 times as much volume. Unless the oil was dumped in a populated area, no one cares about 250k gallons.

I don't think that's a good approach. Not every spill is a major disaster, but we could have other spills of similar magnitude just cumulatively chipping away the environment. Many small disasters could be more detrimental than one or two major sporadic ones.

Soulfire

I was able to fill up at Costco in Raleigh for $1.99 yesterday but all the stations near our house have jumped in price by $.11 and the Sheetz ran out. We've had a vacation planned for three months to the Outer Banks so we're hoping things don't get too bad while we're there.

tbhysgb

We're going to be in an EV/gas coop for quite awhile I think. Well slowly see it shift towards EV, that coupled with better gasoline efficiency we should see demand fall quite a bit.

Unless there's a big tech improvement in batteries. That would be a game changer and would probably accelerate things faster.

Ty4on

EVs have no gearbox or clutch :p

That's a transportation issue though. The US seriously needs functioning mass transit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmm perhaps this squeeze could cause some more people in the south to think about electric vehicles and the state of our infrastructure overall.

Hahahaha. Oh, wait, you're serious? Oh my sweet summer child. You obviously don't know the South East.

Just went out to fill back up
Up another 15 cents from yesterday, up to 2.49 near me.

Hmm perhaps this squeeze could cause some more people in the south to think about electric vehicles and the state of our infrastructure overall.

Georgia used to be one of the top EV purchasing states in the country, then state congress killed the tax incentive.

I don't know how feasible this is but how is "we fucked up and spilled a bunch of our product so now we must charge you more for it" allowed? Especially when it is gas, a commodity not a luxury item.

Georgia-GAF, you have my sympathy. I remember the big gas shortage in Metro Atlanta almost a decade ago where I saw people in trucks filling up multiple 5-10 gallon gas cans and lines stretching back onto the interstate. I can only imagine it's about the same this time around.

I don't know how feasible this is but how is "we fucked up and spilled a bunch of our product so now we must charge you more for it" allowed? Especially when it is gas, a commodity not a luxury item.

Supply and demand drive gas prices.
I don't believe there have been any government regulated price controls on fuel since the 80s in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom