• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gas prices rising in the eastern US, stations in the southeast running out of gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Im in Atlanta, other than the QTs I haven't had much trouble getting gas. Kinda wondering what the fuss is about.

Problem is with QT being such a major hub it puts pressure on everyone else. It'll be fine today as long as you don't wait till you have 20 miles left.

The problem is tomorrow going into Wed if stations don't get refilled.

Downhome

Here in upstate SC most places are out. I did find one yesterday where I was able to fill up so that vehicle is good for a week or so. My car is half full but I only drive it to and from work. I won't make any extra trips in it until this passes.

My wife's family in western NC are having a hard time too. It's bad from Asheville on at least.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, first noticed it on Saturday. Was driving to a friend's place and needed gas. Noticed oddity as some Gas stations were empty, backed up a little or had half their stations turned off. Some prices as high as $2.60 so far.

Seems like Cosco Gas Prices are still below $2. So might use my girlfriend's membership card and get gas from them while this is being fixed.

Ganhyun

GA Governor just signed an executive order on price gouging.

Thats likely due to that station over in Dallas GA trying to charge like $4.79-$5 a gallon and that other station trying to charge $3.79-$4 and getting caught.

Oh, and the hullabaloo over that RaceTrac in Woodstock putting their price to $9.99 to signal they were out (some company policy I think they said?) freaking drivers out.

I remember when the last gas shortage happened, and Governor Perdue issued the same order on gouging. A couple of news channels interviewed the gouging stations, and they all kept saying something along the lines of "I need to make money and feed my family" or "I have to adjust my prices based on supply and demand".

My fiancee is flying into Atlanta tomorrow, and I told her to check with the car rental company and ask if her car can be filled before she picks it up.

EYEL1NER

I hadn't even heard anything about this (the pipeline or the price scare) until I saw the thread just now. I got gas in mid-SC twice yesterday; we drove from Sumter to Hilton Head and I know gas is generally more expensive down towards Charleston than it is up here nearer to Columbia, so I topped off the tank (maybe put in half a tank) in the morning and then filled up again last night when I got back (put in a little over 3/4 of a tank). The station I usually stop at is $1.89 and wasn't busy. It's still $1.89 at that particular station today and I didn't notice any packed stations while driving around earlier. No panic here, I guess.
I was surprised mid-week though when I saw gas go up a couple cents because I expected it to drop on Wednesday. Guess I know why now.

Cheddahz

Banned
I was able to fill my tank last night (t was $1.94 per gallon) and there's reports in my town this morning that some stations are out of gas (I am in South Carolina, close to the Hilton Head area)

Vanillalite

Most major metros still have gas.

The problem is every station that runs out starts the funnel effect which filters people into other stations.

It's not a big deal today, but it will be if refills don't come till the weekend.

Kill3r7

The way the pipeline leak is affecting gas prices seems to be getting more press than the actual leak itself did. Sad when you think about it. To me the environmental damage should be a bigger issue than the short-term effect on peoples' wallets.

Agreed but how do you convey that your read readers? The damage to their wallets headline is an easier sell and that is what journalism has become these days.

Vanillalite

Agreed but how do you convey that your read readers? The damage to their wallets headline is an easier sell and that is what journalism has become these days.

It's not the price so much as it is availability.

Nobody knows just went the refills are coming.

If people didn't panic we'd all be good, but we've passed that now. So now the gas horders have effected everyone.

If Thur comes and there hasn't been any big refills it won't be the price that's the problem.

KDR_11k

We dumped a quarter million gallons into the ground and we're freaking out over 20 cents?

Hey, be glad they're fixing this one. Pipelines in Africa routinely spill crap everywhere and nobody bothers to fix them. If they pollute farmland, too bad, poor farmers can't afford the kind of lawyer that could do something about that.

I was able to get gas at a BJ's in Woodstock, GA for $2.11. Yay for the number three wholesaler club! The gas stations in the unincorporated no man's land between Kennesaw and Woodstock where I live were bone dry yesterday. RaceTrac stations had regular listed as $9.99; I assume they just did that so people didn't pull in and be disappointed that they were out. But it could make for a backlash.

I was able to get gas at a BJ's in Woodstock, GA for $2.11. Yay for the number three wholesaler club! The gas stations in the unincorporated no man's land between Kennesaw and Woodstock where I live were bone dry yesterday. RaceTrac stations had regular listed as $9.99; I assume they just did that so people didn't pull in and be disappointed that they were out. But it could make for a backlash.

Geez, you must not be more than a couple miles from me.

I need to go scout some gas either today or tomorrow. Hoping the Kroger on Canton still has some.

Paid $1.87 last night in Texas. Guess the shortages don't spread this far west.

It wouldn't really impact much to the west of Birmingham.

Dishwalla

Banned
This does worry me though because I'm going down I-95 through North and South Carolina on Saturday, I will need to fill up at least once down there. Hoping it's cooled off by then. Though I don't know that I should worry of gas stations along 95 being out of gas.

Did we just become best friends?

4MmX4zh.gif

NH Apache

Banned
Paid $1.87 last night in Texas. Guess the shortages don't spread this far west.

No, both Texas and Louisiana have our own refineries.

While this is smaller than an olympic pool as mentioned before, the leak is still roughly 85 tanker trucks worth. Just the delay from that and speculation drove up the price.

Does anyone have info on how the leaks occurred? I'm a bit walled in at work and can't search.

mhayes86

Regular 87 fluctuated between $1.99 and $2.05 where I'm at in northern VA, but I've seen a few gas stations around up to $2.25 or so and thought it was weird. The super 93 was the bigger jump, which increased by $0.20 or so when regular went down last week. I didn't realized there was a shortage occurring, so hopefully it won't be too bad on my way home from work today so I can fill up.

EYEL1NER

The "good" gas station I go to raised their price about $.10 in the last couple hours and is sitting at $1.99 right now. A station further down next to a Walmart is $1.94, and one a minute or too further is $2.20-something. I've got a full tank now from last night so I should be good for the week. If not, and the gas shortage continues and prices don't drop back down, I'll have someone take my car on base and get some of that cheap AAFES gas. I can't imagine it will stay exactly what it is at right now, I am almost positive that law dictates that AAFES cannot sell certain things at a certain price that is cheaper than the local community, but it'll be cheaper than anywhere else around still.

In Tampa I went to a station on Saturday and they were out of gas. I had never seen that before. It was a relatively new station, too. Pissed me off honestly.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I was able to fill my tank last night (t was $1.94 per gallon) and there's reports in my town this morning that some stations are out of gas (I am in South Carolina, close to the Hilton Head area)

Hmm, shortages here in Nashville, but we're driving to HH next week, so hopefully it's all resolved by then.

2.19$ a gallon in NC, was honestly surpised it wasn't higher. They only had Regular everything else was sold out, first place I went to was completely out.

FireCloud

Drove around for about an hour before work and couldn't find gas in Raleigh/RTP NC. I decided that it was counter productive burning what little gas I had looking for gas so I went into work. At lunch time, I found one gas station in RTP that had gas at $2.19/gal and ended up waiting over an hour to fill up. People's patience were running thin and I almost got into an "altercation" with someone who decided that their time was more important than everyone else waiting for gas...there's always one in a crowd.

Ganhyun

People around the John's Creek GA area around lunch time today were going nuts looking for gas. The Kroger, QT, and a few other stations nearby were all out according to a few people.

hom3land

Just drove from Brier creek to southpoint only 1 gas station had gas and there were 2 lines of cars going out into the road trying to get gas. Feels like we are back in the 70s.

Vanillalite

Today is just a taste because all of the remaining places will dry up tomorrow.

If we don't get new supply until Thursday it's gonna be that Mad Max on Wed in GA/TN/SC/NC.

Durden77

In Atlanta. Haven't really noticed too much but then again my truck is fucked and isn't going anywhere. I guess that's good timing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom