• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California: Undocumented immigrants appointed to city commissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubb

No. When they go to buy something at the store they say "I am undocumented" and then the store isn't allowed to charge them tax.

Is that the only way you pay taxes?

Do undocumented immigrants pay taxes?

Edit: I guess I mean income tax.

It depends. Some use a fake SSN and pay taxes, but receive no benefits for paying those taxes. Some work off the book jobs where they don't pay taxes. I'm sure there is another way in there that I am unsure of.

Long story short, some do some don't.

On the one hand, I have total sympathy for those people because the immigration system is screwed up.

On the other hand, I feel it's important to point out (and for people to acknowledge) that getting into the U.S. compared to getting into a lot of other countries, like the U.K.

In my limited experience (helped brother with getting his Mexican wife into the U.S.) getting into the U.S.A. is a cakewalk by comparison. For another interesting example, I have an uncle who lived in the Netherlands for years on a 'provisional visa' (or whatever they called it) and they kicked him and his family out as soon as he didn't have a job.

Also, I do not understand why people cannot say 'illegal immigrant'. Because they are an immigrant, who is here illegally. Most other countries deport people immediately for that.

neshcom

Banned
This is great. Illegal immigrants may not be legal citizens, but they live here and--if the idea is that they could become legal--it's important that someone can speak up "officially" for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom