• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu - Launch Trailer.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Glimpse into history with Call of Cthulhu’s launch trailer ahead of the October 30 release date.

What lies beyond the veil, scratching at our eyeballs but just out of vision, a terrifying nightmare we simply cannot see? Peer into clear dreams and the murky past in the Call of Cthulhu Launch Trailer, ahead of release on Tuesday, October 30. With music by Black Mirror, Utopia, and The Girl With All The Gifts composer Cristobal Tapia De Veer, the trailer is your last look into the void before release.

An official adaptation of Chaosium’s pen & paper RPG, Call of Cthulhu combines investigation gameplay with the unparalleled narratives of Lovecraft’s renowned Cthulhu mythos. What mysteries will you, as private investigator Edward Pierce, uncover on the too-quiet island of Darkwater off the coast of Boston?

Call of Cthulhu casts you in that role - a struggling alcoholic, tortured by the past, haunted by PTSD and strange visions, Pierce is a dogged investigator with a desire to find the truth. Contracted by the father of the late Sarah Hawkins to look into the mysterious fire that engulfed her mansion and killed her family, Pierce is immediately surrounded by distrustful locals and dead ends on Darkwater. Pressing on, his world begins to unravel as reality breaks down, and dreams become reality... All the while, the Great Dreamer prepares its awakening.

Call of Cthulhu releases for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC on October 30. Digital and retail preorders are available on PC and consoles.

DiscoJer

Seems almost more Silent Hill-ish than Call of Cthulhu ish, with going into a nightmare reality. As opposed to the idea of HPL that horrors existed in this reality.

(Granted, he did have a "Dreamlands", but that was for him to write Lord Dunsany style fantasy

wipeout364

What exactly is this game. I watched a bit of a play through but still wasn’t too sure. Is it a walking simulator, is it like outlast or Soma, or is it like Resident evil 7. Or is it something else entirely. I am on the fence, I love Lovecraft fiction, but the gameplay I saw didn’t look very interesting. Anybody have some thoughts?

What exactly is this game. I watched a bit of a play through but still wasn’t too sure. Is it a walking simulator, is it like outlast or Soma, or is it like Resident evil 7. Or is it something else entirely. I am on the fence, I love Lovecraft fiction, but the gameplay I saw didn’t look very interesting. Anybody have some thoughts?

I’m glad you posted this because I feel the same way but was too afraid to ask. I have no idea what kind of game this is

I heard the straight white male who wrote this was a racist 100 years ago, so I'll pass.

</sarcasm>

Seems almost more Silent Hill-ish than Call of Cthulhu ish, with going into a nightmare reality. As opposed to the idea of HPL that horrors existed in this reality.

(Granted, he did have a "Dreamlands", but that was for him to write Lord Dunsany style fantasy

This actually looks like it would fit in well with The Call of Cthulhu, with an artist character who is having disturbing visions/dreams (Wilcox in the story, although we do not get his first person perspective), a cop investigating cultists in a swampy woodland, etc.

The Dream Cycles are canon with the rest of Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos writings. In fact, they shed a lot of light on certain things (Yog-Sothoth, for example, is not malevolent, but more like a neutral Truth from FMA; you get from him what you give).

Last edited:

DiscoJer

I heard the straight white male who wrote this was a racist 100 hundred again, so I'll pass.

</sarcasm>

This actually looks like it would fit in well with The Call of Cthulhu, with an artist character who is having disturbing visions/dreams (Wilcox in the story, although we do not get his first person perspective), a cop investigating cultists in a swampy woodland, etc.

The Dream Cycles are canon with the rest of Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos writings. In fact, they shed a lot of light on certain things (Yog-Sothoth, for example, is not malevolent, but more like a neutral Truth from FMA; you get from him what you give).

Yeah, but the dreams were dreams. They weren't waking dreams. The stuff in the swamp was real life, not an alternate reality.

And again, the Dream Cycle stuff was thematically different. He was writing fantasy. There wasn't one shared "canon", he simply re-used names and stuff

Yeah, but the dreams were dreams. They weren't waking dreams. The stuff in the swamp was real life, not an alternate reality.

And again, the Dream Cycle stuff was thematically different. He was writing fantasy. There wasn't one shared "canon", he simply re-used names and stuff

It depends on whose perspective was being shown in the game. If the waking dreams were from the perspective of the Wilcox analogue, or some other person sensitive to the Old Ones, then it would make sense.

Even if they were thematically different, they are still in the same continuity:

https://northatlanticblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/lovecraftian-horror-the-dream-cycle/

Another connection could be made in Through the Gates of the Silver Key (a sequel to the story The Silver Key), in which a character points out that the strange characters inscribed on the silver key Randolph Carter possesses is not any human language, but rather the language of R’lyeh, the city where “dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.” In the story The Call of Cthulhu, certain isolated groups of people, the insane, etc. are described as being susceptible to Cthulhu’s influence at a subconscious level, and some characters experience dreams of R’lyeh and Cthulhu. If one considers that the pantheon of alien deities described in the Cthulhu Mythos are able to interact with humans through the strange realm of the Dreamlands, then that adds a certain level of horror indeed.

As I said earlier, all the entities that Lovecraft wrote of are facets of Yog-Sothoth, as are all people. Carter is seeking the world of dreams, so what he gets from his interactions with those entities (Yog-Sothoth, Nyarlthotep) is different from what people approaching those entities from a background of the Necronomicon would get.

Sorne

God damnit I want this.. But I do wanna wait for the reviews, to see how it goes. This could easily go both ways, but definitively hoping for the best.

Castef

Banned
My review for IGN Italy: https://it.ign.com/call-of-cthulhu-pc/146784/review/call-of-cthulhu-la-recensione

In the end I've found the game quite weak.

It has good atmosphere, yet the plot is quite bad (especially in the last chapters, when it should unfold...), the characters are not developed and the game is very straightforward.

What bummed me the most is the fact that the RPG elements are quite glued to a very simple investigation game and their weigth on the overall game is low.

I expected a much better game.

Top Bottom