• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty 2017 going "back to its roots" [Up: Gameplay roots, maybe setting too]

El_Chino

I wonder if Infinity Ward will continue with Infinite Warfare because despite the not-so-good multi-player, the campaign was surprisingly really good.

I actually grew fond of the characters and hope to encounter them again.

Yu Furealdo

I wonder if Infinity Ward will continue with Infinite Warfare because despite the not-so-good multi-player, the campaign was surprisingly really good.

I actually grew fond of the characters and hope to encounter them again.

I doubt it since the sales were really low compared to Black Ops 3

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I doubt it since the sales were really low compared to Black Ops 3
You got numbers for that?
Isn't it Sledgehammers turn this year?
Looking forward to theirs as AW was fantastic, probably my most played COD after the MW series
Might skip COD2018, really not a fan of Treyarchs COD'S since BLOPS1 and WAW, BLOPS3 was terrible I can't believe I got the season pass and didn't even play it.

Yu Furealdo

You got numbers for that?
Isn't it Sledgehammers turn this year?
Looking forward to theirs as AW was fantastic, probably my most played COD after the MW series
Might skip COD2018, really not a fan of Treyarchs COD'S since BLOPS1 and WAW, BLOPS3 was terrible I can't believe I got the season pass and didn't even play it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-07-call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-launch-sales-down-nearly-50-percent-on-black-ops-3

Activision also acknowledged that it underperformed when they announced that Sledgehammer's game this year isn't gonna be in space.

Vipu

Banned
They should change something else than skin and setting.
I would not be surprised if even the biggest fanboys start to get bored to get the same stuff with different wrapping every year.

Yu Furealdo

They should change something else than skin and setting.
I would not be surprised if even the biggest fanboys start to get bored to get the same stuff with different wrapping every year.

Agreed. Even though Ghosts was flawed, I appreciated that it felt fresh from a gameplay perspective. My hope is that we see more directions like that.

Yeah I hope Infinite Warfare sticks around and they let the other studios turn back the clock. I prefer futuristic FPS's over the older stuff now even if I still enjoy those kinds of games.

Considering how they fucked up Modern Warfare Remastered by adding Supply Drops and new weapons there is nothing that Activision could do to get me to buy anything they publish again.

Bought the remaster on sale around Xmas, never even downloaded the new futuristic b.s.

So they added a couple of new weapons, so what? You don't need to buy any points to get them. Play long enough and you can unlock them. They didn't mess with the gameplay and kept everything from the original game. if someone wants to have fun with some new weapons, I could care less. The things that some players complain about baffles me.

Zombine

Banned
There are enough modern variations on weapons and prototypes available that we do not need to jump 100 years in the future for variety. I'm ready to return to the modern era.

kuYuri

I'm starting to learn towards CoD 2017 not being a modern era game. Modern Warfare Remastered is already out and is actively being supported with new updates and content. It makes little sense to do another modern era game just one year later while MWR already exists.

The only logic that would make some sense is if it becomes Activision's way of offering a modern era game to make up fo MWR not being sold separately and they get to charge $60 again.

We can hug each other knowing we have good taste, bro.

For me it's probably (SP only now):

MW2, MW, IW, COD2, BLOPS2 as the top 5 SPs, in that order.

IW took what AW did and improved it tenfold.

Overboost

I don't know if actual numbers were ever given anywhere else, but an article I found on this gave numbers on the sales of IW vs BLOPS 3 and mentioned that BF1 outsold IW.

http://www.comingsoon.net/games/new...ll-of-duty-will-bring-back-traditional-combat

Not true. You might have noticed that the site you linked to doesn't have a source to back up their claim. According to the NPD numbers, Infinite Warfare was the best-selling game of 2016, both in units sold and in dollars, across both physical and digital.

Infinite Warfare also outsold BF1 in November and December. Even FFXV outsold BF1 during the holiday season. That said, in its first week, BF1 outsold BF4 and Hardline first week sales combined, so it did pretty well. Just didn't outsell COD, even in an off-year.

I had wanted MWR as a standalone buy but since they added supply drops and stuff to it I have no interest in buying it. As far as this new COD is concerned, I'll take a wait and see approach, with no plans to buy it initially.

Dude, you're missing out. As someone who played an ungodly amount of MW1 back in the day, and has kept playing MWR way more than Titanfall 2, Overwatch, and BF1 combined, I can honestly say the content that Raven added to the game only makes it better. You can craft 100% of the items, nothing is only in supply drops, the amount of parts you get back from duplicates is INSANELY generous for a modern COD, and all the new camos, calling cards, and reticles keep the game feeling completely fresh.

The two guns they added last week are worse than the existing ones (M16 is still infinitely better than the XM-LAR and shotguns aren't viable anyway except on Shipment), and the melee weapons are a fun cosmetic replacement for the knife. I really hope they keep updating the game throughout the year to keep it thriving until COD 2017 comes out.

Chris1

Not true. You might have noticed that the site you linked to doesn't have a source to back up their claim. According to the NPD numbers, Infinite Warfare was the best-selling game of 2016, both in units sold and in dollars, across both physical and digital.

Infinite Warfare also outsold BF1 in November and December. Even FFXV outsold BF1 during the holiday season. That said, in its first week, BF1 outsold BF4 and Hardline first week sales combined, so it did pretty well. Just didn't outsell COD, even in an off-year.
That's NPD only. That site is talking worldwide.

I have no idea if it's true worldwide, but America isn't the whole world you know..

AEREC

Thats sucks as I thought Infinite was a step in the right direction as far as characters and mission layout go. Gameplay still sucked but thats because it feels the exact same as every single CoD ever made.

CoD Gameplay needs to be reworked and not taken back to its "roots."

MrNelson

Banned
I wish more felt this way.

But the multiplayer is what sells the game, and it just reeks of Ghosts crossed with Black Ops III's movement system. A lot of people, myself included, absolutely hated Ghost's multiplayer, and the beta just confirmed my suspicions. Even when they did that free weekend I gave it another shot and I still did not like it.

Ganhyun

Dude, you're missing out. As someone who played an ungodly amount of MW1 back in the day, and has kept playing MWR way more than Titanfall 2, Overwatch, and BF1 combined, I can honestly say the content that Raven added to the game only makes it better. You can craft 100% of the items, nothing is only in supply drops, the amount of parts you get back from duplicates is INSANELY generous for a modern COD, and all the new camos, calling cards, and reticles keep the game feeling completely fresh.

The two guns they added last week are worse than the existing ones (M16 is still infinitely better than the XM-LAR and shotguns aren't viable anyway except on Shipment), and the melee weapons are a fun cosmetic replacement for the knife. I really hope they keep updating the game throughout the year to keep it thriving until COD 2017 comes out.

Like I said, I had no clue how accurate the numbers were. I did reach out on twitter to see if they would tell me where they came from so I could look myself.

As far as missing out on MWR, I don't feel that bad about it.

I was fine with the weapons being tied to the DLC/Season pass in Ghosts. I didn't immediately buy AW (was in the middle of a move and other life issues) and heard about the hackers and stuff. So I borrowed it from a friend and while the campaign was ok, the MP was trash to me. All I found was cheaters/hackers sitting in walls where they could not be hit but could hit others and could see where everyone was on the map. The movement also turned me off as well.

I tried the BLOPS 3 beta and was ok with the toned down movement. Bought the game and season pass. Then lo and behold, they add supply drops and tie all the extra weapons and stuff behind those. As someone else previously mentioned, people were crunching numbers and finding that the drop rates were ridiculously low for normal crypto key earners and they gave a slight boost to those who paid for the cod points, but not a big one. Add in that you had Activision 'paying' the big Youtubers to buy tons of COD Points to do supply drop videos to convince kids to get their parents to buy them COD points. People were doing the math on it and Activision was ripping people off big time for those weapons and such. Add in people who were abusing the movement system and that really soured me on COD. I wanted the advanced movement to be toned down some more or removed.

When IW was announced as being a COD in space/future and more advanced movement, I decided I was probably done, but I tried the Beta just to see. Seeing that the supply drop system was being continued, I decided I was indeed done with COD. Promising MWR as COD4 remade in better graphics and adding medals only was tempting, but I didnt feel like dealing with it being tied to IW as I did not want to support that game. Them adding supply drops cemented me not buying it.

Im glad you enjoy the game. But I wont be buying it. Im glad that with MWR at least you can apparently save up cod points/scavenge/whatever you earn for playing to get it, but its highly likely that future weapons wont have that luxury since it cuts into the profits Activision wants to make.

Even though they claim the next COD is going back to its roots, I highly doubt I buy it unless Activision goes back to the older style of Ghosts where weapons were tied to DLC at worst, and any micro transactions were cosmetic only. Since we all know that isnt going to happen I don't feel too pressured or worried about it.

Overboost

That's NPD only. That site is talking worldwide.

I have no idea if it's true worldwide, but America isn't the whole world you know..

Activision financials confirmed this was across global sales in their earnings call on Feb. 9th.

“Call of Duty is the #1 console franchise worldwide in 2016,” said Eric Hirshberg, Activision CEO. “We’re thankful to our players for once again putting Call of Duty on top, and we recognize how rare this is – to do year after year. That’s why we push to deliver innovations and incredible gameplay that are worthy of the best fans in the world time and again. And we have an exciting year ahead in 2017.”

Chris1

Activision financials confirmed this was across global sales in their earnings call on Feb. 9th.

”Call of Duty is the #1 console franchise worldwide in 2016," said Eric Hirshberg, Activision CEO. ”We're thankful to our players for once again putting Call of Duty on top, and we recognize how rare this is – to do year after year. That's why we push to deliver innovations and incredible gameplay that are worthy of the best fans in the world time and again. And we have an exciting year ahead in 2017."

Franchise.

They also had 12 months of BO3 sales. I doubt BF4 or Hardline sold that much in 2016 and I don't think the difference between BF1 & IW would be big enough to offset BO3. So the CoD Franchise winning 2016 should come to no surprise to anyone.

If anything, that quote just makes me think BF1 did outsell CoD IW WW. Also the use of the word "Console", BF does quite well on PC.

Top Bottom