• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty:Black Ops Declassified (Gamescom 2012)

Iacobellis

Not the trailer man,the 'rev' which yoshida played looked much sharper with better lighting than the trailer footage according to him

I know, I know. What I am saying is if the current version of the game plays and looks better than what we saw, imagine how it could be at the deadline. It already was better than Resistance, and that game wasn't too terrible.

I just rather go by what his tweet said just because we have no other definite explanation,according to which it looked much sharper with better lighting so maybe he played a different build than you?

I find it hard to believe they brought two versions to Gamescom and showed the inferior one to the press...

Me too....so till how long did you play the demo?

I didn't. There were no hands on, no pictures allowed, no video allowed and no questions allowed - they showed us a quick 2v2 match and then kicked us out after five minutes
KuGsj.gif

Sid

I didn't. There were no hands on, no pictures allowed, no video allowed and no questions allowed - they showed us a quick 2v2 match and then kicked us out after five minutes
KuGsj.gif
Yup they truly want this to be a 'hidden gem' lol,did the gameplay look smooth?

Golden Axe and Streets of Rage are nothing alike, same genre and that´s it, just saying lol, but yeah, i get where you're coming from

Yep...
4vs4 mp
Nihlistic
Eh...

Summed it up quite well for me... I was looking at the video first, went "this shit looks as unpolished as Resistance Burning Skies" then when I read who was developing it, it was a big LOL moment. I think I'll wait till I can inevitably get a cheap vita and get LBP, Tearaway, and import Earth Defense Force 3 and my Vita collection will probably be complete lol

Sigh why? the secondary fire touchscreen shit in Resistance is bad, but those controls work fine, just tapping on them, no gimmick involved

Grenades are a different beast. You tap and hold to bake, and slide you finger to where on the screen you want to throw.

Yup they truly want this to be a 'hidden gem' lol,did the gameplay look smooth?

I'm not sure. It got pretty choppy at places, but I guess it kind of looked like a CoD game. I just don't know after seeing it for just a few minutes.

CamHostage

True, the trailer was probably made a while (at least some weeks) ago, so there is time to improve. Looking forward to see the final result.

That excuse is so shaky, it's not like it was a story trailer that had to be carefully composed by an editing artist. It was just 20 random clips of people getting shot in the face set to music, any kid with FinalCut could have done that in an hour or two given the footage.

I'm sure the running gameplay DID look better on an actual Vita (appropriate resolution, great screen, no capture artifacts,) but looking better and looking good/right for a COD game are two different stories.

spannicus

Declassified could have been amazing. A new hud designed just for the vita, similar graphics, and same lobby system that mimics the home consoles. The Vita version of CoD should have been the ultimate handheld CoD experience hands down. Instead we get sloopy graphics, 4 vs 4 and the Resistance foundation with a coat of cheap paint to cover up the cracks. Compared to upcoming Vita titles, there is no reason to pay so much for what I can only call a piece of shit stuck on someones taint.

spannicus

If Sony is banking on CoD this season, given all the negativity surrounding the game; why havent they addressed our concerns especially if they are hoping CoD D will save the Vita?

People were also a little reserved on the AC Liberation trailer in terms of how the game runs but when we saw some hands-on off screen footage everything looked way better. I won't judge from a trailer, I want to see at least some off screen footage and ultimately have it in my hands to judge.
I really liked the AC:L trailers. If anything, trailers looked pretty much like the footage, granted, animation still looked janky and IQ was worse of course but really impressive effort they put in there.

Having a bigger userbase increases the chances of more people buying the game, sure. I just mean that looking at the installbase isnt necessarily a good indicator of how much a game will sell. What matters the most is who owns the system. An example of japanese sales (only one i can remember right now), all the main Metal Gear Solid games sold pretty much the same eventhough the huge userbase differences (PS2 to PS3). Technically, i.e 500k Vita owners might be big CoD fans, so that alone could be enough to support the sales that people were expecting.
MGS to CoD is apples to oranges, also this is a spin-off, not a mainline title and on a handheld to boot. MG spin-offs like AC!D sold far less than mainline titles for instance.

But that'd be a bullshit excuse. Modern game engines are designed to be convertable and PSV is plenty capable of accepting what's in Activision's toolbag. To get a game as stunning as what we see on PS3, sure, that's hard, but just getting COD's IW engine up and running on PlayStation Vita would not at all have been an impossibility.

But like I said earlier, it's almost like Activision took the hard way out by getting an outside developer involved! Activision has been were laying off staffers at Neversoft and Vicarious Visions, then shutting down Radical and before that Bizarre and 7 Studios, there's tons of talent right there waiting for a project that never came their way. And Activision has an engine that four teams know like the back of their hands. Putting 30 more guys in a corner at Treyarch (or they could have got all those guys who used to have to shove every COD into Wii somehow, they're not doing it this year?) or getting the Raven and Sledgehammer guys to take a couple unfinished COD maps from the pile and fit them into a new game would have been reasonably easy. (*Actually, considering Sledgehammer has been a total no-show as far as the fans can see since COD Adventure died, this could have been a nice opportunity to finally give them a proper calling card.)

Also, never mind that Activision had no idea how many units PSV would or would not sell by the time they finally got around to shipping this game they announced over a year ago. Those stats don't really matter because if the Vita version underperformed, this would have been an easy project to flip back onto PSN/XBLA/Steam (that might be what Ubisoft is counting on as a fallback with AC3 Liberation even though they're clearly managing that budget smartly) and sell as a mid-season COD game release.

Between all that Sony support and the easily reused engine and the fallback of a HD re-release later on and the possibility (however slight given the weak DS performance, though iOS buyers are taking to COD happily) of having another eager market for COD products, it was a win/win/win/win IMO for Activision to put some effort into this Vita game.
Well I'm not a programmer and haven't worked as one with PSV either. But why dedicate internal resources into porting an engine under serious time pressure? Just for the prospects of up-porting it to the home consoles/PC? CoD already has a schedule with map packs etc. and I bet you they make more money on these than they would have with a re-release of a better quality CoD:D. PSV was a hard sell from the get-go and Activision was cautious I guess, can't fault them for that when reality has proven them right. Even on 3DS I don't think they have an internally developed game out there btw.

Maybe the new build wasn't completed in time to base a trailer off of it and as for graphics declassified looks better than resistance mp and most of the sp already......
Does it? Looks pretty much the same to me. And as I said, the trailer doesn't look like it took long to put together, quite the contrary. If you just have a quick gameplay reel I suppose you'd wait for a build that is supposedly much better. I mean I AM expecting better polish in the finished product but I don't expect it to look great or anything.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
If Sony is banking on CoD this season, given all the negativity surrounding the game; why havent they addressed our concerns especially if they are hoping CoD D will save the Vita?

they're probably hoping it will sell on name alone. And they may be right

spannicus

they're probably hoping it will sell on name alone. And they may be right
If so this would be bad because it will say to developers that half ass games are ok to shove onto the Vita. Wow starve us for games and then throw shit for us to eat. Gaming is becoming pure chaos.

Top Bottom