• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II |OT| Black to the Future

MW2 maps were an abomination design wise, but had style/personality. MW3 maps still kind of sucked design wise but was a bit better, but they were totally boring/generic/lacking in personality.

Treyarch has always delivered a balance of both. Blops winz.

Wii U EU...lol

I have to say, the Treyarch CODs are the ones that I don't roll my eyes over. They seem more interesting.

I'm awful at these games though and don't really care to get any better, so I won't buy it. But it's cool.

AEGISX

Banned
MW2 maps were an abomination design wise, but had style/personality. MW3 maps still kind of sucked design wise but was a bit better, but they were totally boring/generic/lacking in personality.

Treyarch has always delivered a balance of both. Blops winz.

dat asskissin, professional.

Dawg

Looking forward to this. CoD games always have a certain "polish" to them, despite using the same old graphics engine.

Haters gonna
buy the game anyway

your opinion is not agreed by general public, to majority of cod players, its just an action of asskissing
I've seen otherwise. Majority that I have seen seem to agree that factually, Treyarch designs better maps, by far.

MW2 map design philosophy = stuff as much shit in as possible without thinking about spawn points/choke points/bomb points/verticality/etc....poorly thought out stuff.

ohlawd

your opinion is not agreed by general public, to majority of cod players, its just an action of asskissing

I am the general public and you are wrong.

MW2 maps as a WHOLE sucked. MW3's map, somehow, took sucking to a whole new level.

Black Ops 1 had more good maps than bad.

Treyarch wins.

AEGISX

Banned
I've seen otherwise. Majority that I have seen seem to agree that factually, Treyarch designs better maps, by far.
you have an IW felter in your eyes. I'm sure you didn't know, that the worst COD was made by Triarch, it was COD3.

COD4 and MW2 maps > 3, WaW, BO
MW3 maps were designed by Sledgehammer it doesnt count.

MW hasn't had a great set of maps since COD4, since then MW games have been stinking up the place, BO's set has me optimistic for what Trey can do next.

Let's not forget WaW maps, which were also phenomenal

Upheaval
Airfield
Makin
Asylum
Roundhouse
Castle
Cliffside
Hanger

ALL Excellent top tier maps, and then there's the WaW DLC which was also fantastic.

AzaK

I saw the Wii U info (60fps an 720) and thought, "cool, confirmation" then realised it was a made up image. Ahh well.

MW hasn't had a great set of maps since COD4, since then MW games have been stinking up the place, BO's set has me optimistic for what Trey can do next.

I actually agree. MW2 had not a single good map in it. MW3s only truly good map was a remake of a COD2 map. I skipped Blops, but it simply couldn't have worse maps than MW2 or 3.

Treyarch has come a long way. They have constantly improved on their take on COD and even the jump from Cod3 to WAW was considerable. I must say though, that they still seem to go overboard with the follow, narrow corridor design.

I actually agree. MW2 had not a single good map in it. MW3s only truly good map was a remake of a COD2 map. I skipped Blops, but it simply couldn't have worse maps than MW2 or 3.

Treyarch has come a long way. They have constantly improved on their take on COD and even the jump from Cod3 to WAW was considerable. I must say though, that they still seem to go overboard with the follow, narrow corridor design.
huh?which mw3 map is a remake of cod 2?

iNvid02

swanky op radec

i need shelter under treyarch after mw3, want to play the campaign more than anything though

I tend to be a mid-long range player, so naturally I hated MW3 maps. But what I find interesting is that even the run 'n' gunners that I played with online also hated MW3 maps. They're just an unmitigated disaster all around.

I'm seeing some decent sightlines and a lot less clutter in the videos for Blops 2. That makes me optimistic. Hopefully it holds up when we play it.

huh?which mw3 map is a remake of cod 2?

Bakaara

s9Smd.jpg

Toujane

R60qf.jpg

The rooftop routes were cut in Bakaara and the upper section has more intricacies in Toujane but in Layout it's the same map in principle with less routes and less vantage points.

Erasus

I'll take that over games ruined by cheating. This won't even have dedicated servers.

Plus Xim Edge says hello.

Hahaha

Have fun with sub-HD and a controller.

Its VAC, there wont be that many cheaters.... In CS they are banned fast

Sethos

Banned
Hahaha

Love these kind of posts, "HERHERHERHER HAVE FUN WITH SHITTY CONSOLES BRO!"

Sounds like you barely even played Call of Duty on PC. MW3 right now is unplayable, 9/10 servers will have cheaters and the game is ruined online. Black Ops was a mixed experience for some, dedicated servers and admins meant they could be cleaned up but it still had cheaters and admins aren't present all the time. So I could easily spend and evening server jumping to find one with an admin online. Plus all these dedicated servers don't adhere to any standard. So it's always some fucked up rules, PISTOLS AND SNIPERS ONLY!! It was impossible to find a decent HC S&D game that didn't have some crappy rules.

And VAC, are you shitting me? It's easier than pie to avoid VAC, always has been. Only script shit that even punkbuster could detect that'd get picked up by VAC.

Despite being a hardcore PC player, Call of Duty is the one game that is only enjoyable on consoles online. Way too many cheating CoD kiddies trying to ruin the game.

But enjoy your superior master race version. I'll have fun with the peasants.

Day 1. Domination all day every day. Gonna pre-order this tonight for Nuketown. I can picture it now. Cap initial point, throw grenade, mulitkill, high end kill streak. All within the first 10 seconds. Awesome. :p

Awesome OP!

Sweet looking and to the point. :)

I just pre-ordered it on Steam.

Is there a GAF group on Steam for this game? I imagine there is.

EDIT - just found the group. :)

King_Moc

Banned
Hahaha

OK, we will.

What's up with this guy? If you want the PC version, that's all well and good. Why are you so insecure that you need to tell everyone else how "wrong" they are.

Hahaha

Ahhh so you haven't played much CoD on PC eh?

And the comment on VAC is, well let me think about it, yes. Your comment on VAC is the funniest thing I've read today. Thanks for that.

I'll still put 150+ hours into BLOPS2 on PC, and I'll be grumbling when I see whatever new BS the hacks are going to exploit.

And let the master race thing go man. Be better than that.

Cudder

I'm probably going to get it for my birthday next month, are they actually not planning on allowing people to buy Nuketown 2025 in the future? Wow.

Makoto

Sounds like you barely even played Call of Duty on PC. MW3 right now is unplayable, 9/10 servers will have cheaters and the game is ruined online. Black Ops was a mixed experience for some, dedicated servers and admins meant they could be cleaned up but it still had cheaters and admins aren't present all the time. So I could easily spend and evening server jumping to find one with an admin online. Plus all these dedicated servers don't adhere to any standard. So it's always some fucked up rules, PISTOLS AND SNIPERS ONLY!! It was impossible to find a decent HC S&D game that didn't have some crappy rules.
Just wanted to clear up any perceptions one might go into BO2 PC with, the bolded won't be the case in BO2 as it's now matchmaking + dedicated servers (with no player-rented servers) rather than server browser + dedicated servers. So if anyone seeks the structured playlists that matchmaking offers but don't want to put up with the shoddy P2P connections that usually associate with it, BO2 PC is the way to go.

I'll also say this: It seems IW could not give less of a shit when it came to anti-cheat. They integrated MW2/MW3 with VAC and called it a day. While I cannot speak for MW3, I'm able to vouch that seeing a cheater wasn't a surprising sight in MW2. The first Black Ops however, I could count on one hand how many blatant cheaters I saw and in fact, I think I was accused of hacking (and subsequently kicked/banned) more often than I saw legitimate cheaters. I believe Treyarch does give a shit about hacking and pcdev has been doing a good job of communicating with the PC playerbase to alleviate their concerns. I know my words have done jack to convince you otherwise, Sethos but I just wanted to post this for others that may be open to some persuasion.

I really hope the zombie storyline will be an actual storyline and not just different levels each being just like the survival ones.

Hahaha

Just for the record, I bought the PC version of MW3. Then I bought the PS3 version a month later. I think COD games are meant to be played on a big screen tv and a controller in the comfort of your own couch.

Raptor

With the news that we can customize our campaign loadouts I hope we can play the entire campaign with the unscoped Ballista, Im such a sucker for bolt action rifles.

:D

Xux

wut. Incomplete weapon and equipment lists, old perk pics, and old scorestreak values?

lol, pretty good OT anyway, as always, Radec.

Ilive1up

i hope black ops 2 has a fun, interesting story. i actually really enjoyed playing black ops single player. it is far superior than the MW storyline.

It was playable for people with modern processors at the time. I don't think I had a single friend who had an issue with performance other than the stutter that was fixed with a patch early on.

This is just flat out wrong. The stutter was the debilitating issue, and completely unacceptable for a game that could otherwise run at 200fps. People with 'modern processors' also had the issue and it wasn't fixed for everyone with patches. I was lucky that someone discovered some config tweaks in the first week itself that solved my stuttering issue but I know people who could not get it to run properly ever.

Remmy2112

To me MW2 had a large number of crappy maps and MW3 had very few that were memorable. Only one I liked was the bombed out French/German town with the central bombed house and courtyard, and even that map could get a little frustrating at times. With Black Ops 1 there was only one map I grew to hate, and that was Nuketown, and that was due to there being so many damn servers that ONLY played that map all day every day. Meat grinder grinding servers. :(

Also in the other Blops 2 thread I saw some people having a discussion about SMGs vs. assault rifles. Blops had a good selection of SMGs and ARs from launch, with the AK74u SMG being perhaps a bit too powerful until it got nerfed. Other than that the game had a really nice balance between the two and the FAMAS was an amazing gun that had a fire rate near SMGs paired with good accuracy and control if you burst right. Both guns were fine showings for their respective weapon classes and unlocked fairly early.

Top Bottom