• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calling script junkies

Mistake

To preface, I'm on windows 10. So I recently tried fully switching to Brave, and everything seemed fine. But when I went to install a program, I noticed a ton of new folders in the root of my Program Files named "“chrome_url_fetcher_" and some numbers after each one. Even if I delete them, more appear after each use of the browser. I tried making my own script to delete them using this site, but I suspect it isn't working because of the different numbers in each file name. So I need a script to target the name part and not the whole thing. Some help would be appreciated

Soodanim

Gold Member
Google has plenty of results, but no answers other than them being temporary and usually being in the temp folder.

If it bothers you that much, try a non-Chromium browser like Firefox (and find Betterfox on GitHub for a Chrome-like scroll feel).

Mistake

Google has plenty of results, but no answers other than them being temporary and usually being in the temp folder.

If it bothers you that much, try a non-Chromium browser like Firefox (and find Betterfox on GitHub for a Chrome-like scroll feel).
I was using waterfox before, but I recently started using a password manager which isn't supported on it. I'll see what betterfox is about

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I was using waterfox before, but I recently started using a password manager which isn't supported on it. I'll see what betterfox is about
BetterFox is a custom settings file that makes it more privacy/security friendly, among other things.

I'm surprised that there's a password manager that isn't available on Firefox, all the big ones are. BitWarden is my weapon of choice since dropping LastPass

Mistake

BetterFox is a custom settings file that makes it more privacy/security friendly, among other things.

I'm surprised that there's a password manager that isn't available on Firefox, all the big ones are. BitWarden is my weapon of choice since dropping LastPass
I started using proton pass. It is available on FF, but not waterfox. Not exactly sure why

Soodanim

Gold Member
I started using proton pass. It is available on FF, but not waterfox. Not exactly sure why
If it helps, Firefox with BetterFox is essentially what WaterFox and Librewolf aim to do - some stuff stripped out and a few tweaks but without affecting usability

jason10mm

Gold Member
86c43Gk.jpg

Firefox was an ok film, but this Waterfox sequel, with a mind controlled submarine, is gonna be a hard sell. Librewolf, about an ageing Lone Wolf McQuade who has to go back to vietnam to free POWs is just a vanity project for Chuck Norris, lets not kid ourselves.

XRIIdOV.jpg
F7WOdaC.jpg

Bitwarden, with Kevin Hart as an ex-con who mistakenly gets hired to run one of those cush prisons in Finland, but he is 2 feet shorter than every inmate, the jokes just write themselves :p

7P1HBNQ.jpg

Ecrofirt

Click your start button
Search for "Powershell ISE"
If a blank script doesn't pop up automatically click the new script button (dog-eared paper)
Paste this into the script window:
Code:
#This is the base folder to search. Update it as needed
$rootDir = "C:\Program files\"

#This is a wildcard filter for the folder names
$filter = "chrome_url_fetcher*"

#this will collect items matching the filtering criteria
$itemsToRemove = Get-ChildItem -Path $rootDir -Filter $filter

#clear the screen to make the output a bit easier to see
Clear-Host

#This wil forcibly, recursively remove all items matching the filter.
#It's presently in "WhatIf" move to show you what *will* happen, but not actually do it
#I recommend running it like this once to verify the expected results. then remove the '-WhatIf' at the end and it will remove the items
Remove-Item -Path $itemsToRemove.FullName -Recurse -Force -WhatIf

Change out the $rootDir and $filter variables as needed
Run the code, verify it's going to remove the correct stuff, and then remove "-WhatIf" at the end of the last line.

Last edited:

Mistake

Click your start button
Search for "Powershell ISE"
If a blank script doesn't pop up automatically click the new script button (dog-eared paper)
Paste this into the script window:
Code:
#This is the base folder to search. Update it as needed
$rootDir = "C:\Program files\"

#This is a wildcard filter for the folder names
$filter = "chrome_url_fetcher*"

#this will collect items matching the filtering criteria
$itemsToRemove = Get-ChildItem -Path $rootDir -Filter $filter

#clear the screen to make the output a bit easier to see
Clear-Host

#This wil forcibly, recursively remove all items matching the filter.
#It's presently in "WhatIf" move to show you what *will* happen, but not actually do it
#I recommend running it like this once to verify the expected results. then remove the '-WhatIf' at the end and it will remove the items
Remove-Item -Path $itemsToRemove.FullName -Recurse -Force -WhatIf

Change out the $rootDir and $filter variables as needed
Run the code, verify it's going to remove the correct stuff, and then remove "-WhatIf" at the end of the last line.
Worked like a charm, thanks a lot. I started a daily task for it, so things should be fine now.

Top Bottom