• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your little OCD oddities?

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I have acquired over the years some behaviors which have become habit but not severe enough to be deemed a "problem".

-When I place products in my fridge the label has to face me.

-Before going to bed I check my alarm 3 times.

-My work emails are all assigned to folders or deleted every 10 minutes. I can't stand my inbox with 245 messages just lying in wait. Coming back from vacation I freak out when I see 784 emails.

-Before going to bed I check my thermostats (in winter) and the locks on my doors (is this really OCD?)

-I always look at myself in a mirror before going outside. Fear of a booger in my nose maybe? 😄

-I do rotations with my utensils so after doing the dishes I won't use the same ones all over again.

-On the gaming side I will delete games I haven't touched in awhile only to reinstall them 5 days later when I want to play them again.
I feel "bad" when the console storage is close to full 😆

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
What are your oddities?
Let's share in the madness 😁

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
When I have a bottled drink with rounded corners (like a yummy frappuccino), I always drink from the same corner, with the front label on one of the sides facing me (probably always to the left).
If I'm eating any small snacking food, like chips, popcorn, or smaller candies, I always eat them in even numbers. Two chips, or four pieces of popcorn, etc. Every once in a while I'll take a random handful just to make myself stop keeping track.
I obsessively count the number of letters in words, phrases, or sentences. Not always, but it's often just subconsciously activated, and it annoys me. This may be why whenever I have a word on the tip of my tongue, I can always remember how many characters it contains.
If I accidentally bang my knee or my elbow, I press my opposite knee or elbow into something similar for some sort of parity. I don't bang them, just a little press for mild pressure.
Sometimes I count the number of desktop windows I have open, hoping for an even number, or race my mouse around my new tab page, hovering over each pinned site once per lap. Sometimes if I mouse over an element that changes color or changes my mouse icon, I hover over a second icon that'll do the same. Like I have some insistence on even numbers. I like it even better when the numbers are divisible by three and four.
When I'm walking on the sidewalk, sometimes I'm keeping track of which foot has stepped over the most cracks, trying to achieve parity without taking weird uneven steps and walking like a weirdo (so inevitably, one leg ends up stepping over far more cracks than the other, but I forget about it within a minute, so I doubt that's actually OCD. Maybe it's just my head finding some way to gamify walking).
I also count the number of people in rooms.

These are very casually "OCD," but I doubt I'd get a diagnosis.

Someone just outbid me for a Poké Ball Plus... I just started Let's Go Pikachu.

I have acquired over the years some behaviors which have become habit but not severe enough to be deemed a "problem".

Face you? Or just like.. the label has to be facing you enough to be readable... because that's just common sense. If it needs German Precision (tm) then yeah it's a little fucked.
Excessive. Do better. Better yet wake up naturally before you'd alarm. #huberman
-My work emails are all assigned to folders or deleted every 10 minutes. I can't stand my inbox with 245 messages just lying in wait. Coming back from vacation I freak out when I see 784 emails.
I've abandoned my email completely. I'll only look for an email if somebody Slacks me about it. I am also operating at very few fucks in reserve, so it's super liberating to ignore that shit.
-Before going to bed I check my thermostats (in winter) and the locks on my doors (is this really OCD?)
Door check is key, what with the decline of western civilization and all that. Thermostat is whatever... you trying to turn that shit down and pinch every penny?
-I always look at myself in a mirror before going outside. Fear of a booger in my nose maybe? 😄
Reasonable. I'm too lazy.
-I do rotations with my utensils so after doing the dishes I won't use the same ones all over again.
Pretty sus.
-On the gaming side I will delete games I haven't touched in awhile only to reinstall them 5 days later when I want to play them again.
Seems kind of inefficient.
What are your oddities?
I'm mostly here to poke fun at you, but I'll throw you one: I'm pretty shit at throwing junk away. And I get caught up on stupid shit like making sure I find and replace the bottle cap on a recyclable plastic bottle before sending it on its way to probably end up in the same landfill with everyfuckingthing else. I also collect and hold onto plastic bags from wherever so I can eventually get em to the 'plastic bags go here bin' by the grocery store since you're not supposed to recycle them with your normal recyclables. It makes no sense that I even try to follow all the fucking recycling rules since I can see in the shared recyclables dumpster at my apartment that nobody follows or understands any of the rules anyway. Net result of that behavior is useless clutter and build-up. Not exactly hoarder behavior, but not so very different either.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
These are very casually "OCD," but I doubt I'd get a diagnosis.
If you're not bullshitting us this sounds like something that would impact my everyday life in a negative way.
It's just too much.

Thanks for sharing and please do something about it? 😊

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When I eat a plate of food with different things on it, I almost never eat all the stuff equally. I either sweep the plate left to right or right to left like a game of Risk, or I eat all of one thing first, then move to the next food. When I eat burgers and fries, I usually eat all the fries first, burger last. lol

People notice it too. I laugh with them about it!

I dont know why, but maybe because I'm a neat freak, but I usually do this at fast food places too. I remember seeing a friend do it in elementary school and I copied him and have done it since. When I eat out and I'm done, I go into OCD trashman mode where I neatly crumple up wrappers and napkins, and put ketchup cups etc... into the carboard fry holder, then throw it out all compact. If a paper bag is given too, I jam that packed fry thing into the paper bag, crumple it up small and throw it out. But I dont bother include the tray liner or drink cup. Those things go in the garbage separately. lol

Another food thing, it's more of an etiquette thing. But when eating out with people I never eat until everyone has their food. Only time I eat is if it's super casual and food is taking forever to come out and everyone is in agreement whomever already has their food, eat it now before it gets cold. But under normal situations, I wait till everyone at the table is served.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
If you're not bullshitting us this sounds like something that would impact my everyday life in a negative way.
It's just too much.

Thanks for sharing and please do something about it? 😊
It's all very mild. Almost more like playing little games. Sometimes I'm just annoyed that they're ingrained in my head. Maybe if I kept catching myself doing them, they'd just stop.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
After closing the apartment door, I quadruple check if I actually closed it. Same with faucets for some reason, even tho I clearly see no water running, I kinda just check. This only happens at home tho.

jufonuk

not tag worthy

What are your oddities?
Another one is giving gold to everyone.

Not that it’s odd I’m just worried you gonna go broke.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Whenever in public after using the restroom, I am very OCD about the number of paper towels I pull out of the dispenser after washing my hands. It can never be an odd number.

I have no idea where this comes from, but there it is lol. 😆

Last edited:

INC

Volume on any device has to be even

Any spread on toast or crackers etc has to be flat and even, so every bite is identical

I didn't beat Final Fantasy 4, my favorite Final Fantasy, because Edge joins the party underleveled in comparison to everyone else.

If I'm not mistaken, at that point everyone is around their 40s. And he joins at 29, or something like that.

And that fucking kills me. Is like a bug flying in my ear constantly.

FF 9 was somehow even worse, for me, because different from FF 7, where the characters you aren't using still level up, they are just always 10 levels below you (Main party is at 70? Tifa, Cait Sith and Cid are at 60 now), and there are very few points where you are forced to use a character you don't really care for. So it was never an issue. They will be fine in those sections.

But FF 9 said fuck all of that, and included more points where you ARE forced to use certain characters, including a boss rushy section, and guess what? If you thought Dagger was a boring character, and didn't use her for most of the game, have fun fighting that boss with level 20, while Zidane is at 50.

I just can't with that. I can't.
I wish more JRPGs would assume that characters you aren't using weren't just sitting on a couch eating Pizza and Pepsi all day.

Or straight up just allowed you to use which ever character you want, without forcing any character on you.

I wanted Zidane, Vivi, Freya and Eiko. For the whole game.

Last edited:

nush

I always blow in a bottle of soda before drinking it. One time as a kid I went to drink out of a soda bottle and I did not tip it up enough for any liquid to come out and just took a big breath of carbon Dioxide and choked.

NikuNashi

When walking on the pavement (side walk). If there is a square shaped pattern I imagine diagonal lines that radiate out from the squares and don't step on them. It's pretty nuts thinking about it.

Valedix

Perfectionism at work, mental compulsions, pure O, anxiety, checking, avoiding cracks in pathway when I can. Not great lol but trying to get by. I more so have mental compulsions, than traditional compulsions like cleaning.

Last edited:

Valedix

When walking on the pavement (side walk). If there is a square shaped pattern I imagine diagonal lines that radiate out from the squares and don't step on them. It's pretty nuts thinking about it.
I always am concious of where I walk, always trying to avoid ants and small bugs to not kill them and cracks in pathways just give me bad vibes.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Check the locks multiple times. Get in bed. Get out. Check them again. Then sleep.

Dust every 3 days.

Always pet the cat when I leave the house.

Ensure everything is organized when done.

Paints are in Roygbiv order.

Brushes are from small to large order.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't have ocd but my ex wife had crippling contamination ocd (among other personality disorders) to the point where she could barely function. The compulsions were ritualistic and we all had to do them or she'd literally breakdown. She refused to get treatment unfortunately. One of the reasons I walked away. The one your try hardest to save is the one that drowns you.

I have a weird "relationship" with numbers for my TV volume. It is always either a 5 or 10. Same for my alarm clock. It is either 8:40, 8:45 or 8:50. Yeah i only use numbers that end in 5 or 0 in general for these things. For no reason whatsoever.

I realized how i even suffered from this shit when i was a kid and had to order stuff on that damn Resident Evil 4 case, lmao.

Last edited:
Ever since a child when I get stressed I'll take my glasses off, as seeing everything in a blurry setting tends to calm me. For example when I get to the gym I'll take my glasses off before entering the building. I hate eye contact!

When my partner goes to bed she'll lock up everything and then later that evening I'll double check the locks otherwise I'm not sleeping.

Randomly some times I'll get intrusive thoughts and I'll have to touch an object multiple times in a specific order, or something bad will happen. I know this is irrational.

I'm not comfortable at home unless everything is clean and tidy as I like structure.

fXGhvRn.gif

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Same for my alarm clock. It is either 8:40, 8:45 or 8:50. Yeah i only use numbers that end in 5 or 0 in general for these things. For no reason whatsoever.
The reason is you’re normal, bro.
What kind of weirdo sets their alarm clock at 8:43? Come on.

If I touch one side of my face, I feel the urge to touch the same spot on the other side too with my other hand. I hate touching my face asymmetrically.
Same when I crack my knuckles - I just have to crack the same knuckles on both hands.

Top Bottom