• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calling someone an "NPC" is a pretty weak insult. You look like a moron when you use it.

StormCell

My opinion on this is as such. If the person you are arguing with is using a bunch of templated or canned arguments that you see everywhere else, and they dismiss or debunk everything you present as counter-argument with more canned facts and so-called "mainstream news" as support then I think that just maybe I AM dealing with an NPC. If I can't get them to agree on even the most basic and simplistic common ground argument, then they deserve to be treated like an NPC.

How to not end up being an NPC? Show some original thought and rationale. I don't require you to agree with me, but I do require that you show me your thought process to arrive at your conclusions (ie. show your work).

MMaRsu

Banned
NPC is a great insult. People who are called NPCs are deeply offended by it, which proves how efficient it is. Twitter banned 1500 accounts in 2018 for using the NPC meme. That's a pretty clear sign that the insult struck a nerve.

As an added bonus, the insult doesn't rely bigotry or ad hominem attacks. The only people who are truly offended by the NPC label are NPCs themselves.
I just call idiots idiots, not NPC's

How much of a tool do you have to be to call someone an NPC lmao

dcll

Banned
NPC is a pretty harmless and tame insult.

Nazi, on the other hand... calling everyone a Nazi or racist (the insults the opposition makes all the time) really undermines what actual Nazis or racists are.

But no, it's the "NPC" that bothers you the most.
Such a good point

DrAspirino

Banned
In the end, we're all NPCs to someone.
Specially when you work on retail. Heck, I assumed my NPC nature the moment I graduated from Pharmacy school and became a Pharmacist. Just like a f*cking NPC on a (j)RPG: not a single miligram of adventure.

My opinion on this is as such. If the person you are arguing with is using a bunch of templated or canned arguments that you see everywhere else, and they dismiss or debunk everything you present as counter-argument with more canned facts and so-called "mainstream news" as support then I think that just maybe I AM dealing with an NPC. If I can't get them to agree on even the most basic and simplistic common ground argument, then they deserve to be treated like an NPC.

How to not end up being an NPC? Show some original thought and rationale. I don't require you to agree with me, but I do require that you show me your thought process to arrive at your conclusions (ie. show your work).

When do you ever see a real debate on the internet though? NPC is just thrown around just like anything else. Then again so is chud and the like. I think people just use these insults to feel better about themselves

Last edited:

pel1300

I remember when they got angry at being called SJWs. Then ppl switched to npc.

Hop over to era to see them all angry ag the use of terms like cancel culture. They are really fixated on terms/semantics.

Peggies

Gold Member
lol you are 100% an npc.
You had a cold or flu.
gifys GIF by The .GIFYS

Have a good night, GAF!

Batiman

Banned
True. Lame as fuck. It’s like everyone on politics heard someone say it once and then they started using it in every damn post

StormCell

Conspiracy theory is banned and this dude isn't.

He's been aggressive for quite a while.

The Virus is real, end of story. There's no deflecting this it's a pandemic for a reason.

This isn't politics. Plus he makes for an example of what we're discussing, don't you think?

Roxkis_ii

Calling people NPC's is kinda weak, doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

I perffer "Bot" when insalting my teammates in overwatch. It simple, and easy to put some passion behind.

Last edited:

StormCell

When do you ever see a real debate on the internet though? NPC is just thrown around just like anything else. Then again so is chud and the like. I think people just use these insults to feel better about themselves

They're hard to come by and pretty rare to see, but I've participated in a few. For example, I find it nearly impossible to believe that an intelligent white person would wholesale agree with everything in CRT. I presented a number of documents and reports on CRT in the workplace and in the classroom to some of my left-leaning acquaintances who know me as more of a left-leaning libertarian as opposed to a right wing person. I did this because they were fully on board the Joe Biden express and would label anything sympathetic to Donald Trump as racist and fascist (in true NPC fashion). So, when approaching them on calling conservatives racists and whatnot, it was a long way down the rabbit hole to get to the bottom of why they so readily parrot such rhetoric about conservatives. I'm still not sure there is a bottom root or if the logic is just recursive somehow.

Anyway, I brought the CRT to them along with multiple stories, and naturally I expected their remarks to be along the lines of: "What's so bad about this if ultimately it reduces systemic racism?" "Any racism we will face as whites will pale in comparison to all the racism we've inflicted on these people for centuries..." etc. And so there it was, the types of comments I expected. Having spent some years as a teacher and a group discussion facilitator, though, I do have some experience at getting groups to converse where I want them to. The so-called basic common ground is where I wanted these guys. Each of them is fully convinced of systemic racism. Each had seen or heard with their own ears racism somewhere in some distant past having worked as executives somewhere or maybe it was just as managers. One is a school teacher in a poor urban area. All of them are so convinced of the magnitude of racism that they will go along with whatever plan is coming from the left. However, none of them believes in the wholesale destruction of our society to do it ( <-- common ground belief right there). They simply don't see the destination I see. They simply don't believe CRT is as racist as it is even when staring at the same lines of text. They think white fragility is all that stands in the way of reciting some apologies and doing some ground kissing to make it all better. Or something.

I do consider these guys to be NPCs, mind you. Just because I found an inch of common ground in our beliefs isn't proof that these guys are even people. No, they're not bots. They're just cheap algorithms that parrot democratic news and use circular logic to keep well-meaning people running in a circle to try and understand a POV that already doesn't make much sense to the common intelligent person. Still, it was an argument that for a brief few moments became real.

Last edited:

Soodanim

They're hard to come by and pretty rare to see, but I've participated in a few. For example, I find it nearly impossible to believe that an intelligent white person would wholesale agree with everything in CRT. I presented a number of documents and reports on CRT in the workplace and in the classroom to some of my left-leaning acquaintances who know me as more of a left-leaning libertarian as opposed to a right wing person. I did this because they were fully on board the Joe Biden express and would label anything sympathetic to Donald Trump as racist and fascist (in true NPC fashion). So, when approaching them on calling conservatives racists and whatnot, it was a long way down the rabbit hole to get to the bottom of why they so readily parrot such rhetoric about conservatives. I'm still not sure there is a bottom root or if the logic is just recursive somehow.

Anyway, I brought the CRT to them along with multiple stories, and naturally I expected their remarks to be along the lines of: "What's so bad about this if ultimately it reduces systemic racism?" "Any racism we will face as whites will pale in comparison to all the racism we've inflicted on these people for centuries..." etc. And so there it was, the types of comments I expected. Having spent some years as a teacher and a group discussion facilitator, though, I do have some experience at getting groups to converse where I want them to. The so-called basic common ground is where I wanted these guys. Each of them is fully convinced of systemic racism. Each had seen or heard with their own ears racism somewhere in some distant past having worked as executives somewhere or maybe it was just as managers. One is a school teacher in a poor urban area. All of them are so convinced of the magnitude of racism that they will go along with whatever plan is coming from the left. However, none of them believes in the wholesale destruction of our society to do it ( <-- common ground belief right there). They simply don't see the destination I see. They simply don't believe CRT is as racist as it is even when staring at the same lines of text. They think white fragility is all that stands in the way of reciting some apologies and doing some ground kissing to make it all better. Or something.

I do consider these guys to be NPCs, mind you. Just because I found an inch of common ground in our beliefs isn't proof that these guys are even people. No, they're not bots. They're just cheap algorithms that parrot democratic news and use circular logic to keep well-meaning people running in a circle to try and understand a POV that already doesn't make much sense to the common intelligent person. Still, it was an argument that for a brief few moments became real.
This started off as the most thoughtful post in the thread, inspiring people to abandon their posts on the right and left in favour of meeting in the middle to discuss ideas and understand each other with the goal of moving forward as people who all share the end goal of wanting happiness for themselves and others. Then it ended by saying "Fuck that, too much effort for NPCs lol"

V4skunk

Banned
Do you believe the earth is flat?
That's big coming from some one that thinks there are 70 genders and that c02 plant food is killing the planet.
And you wonder why people don't "follow the science" lol
Conspiracy theory is banned and this dude isn't.

He's been aggressive for quite a while.

The Virus is real, end of story. There's no deflecting this it's a pandemic for a reason.

You mad bro?
And not one of you can even explain how the vaccine works and what makes it unique.
You are 100% npc's.
Have fun with the the vaccine idiots. And if the tv programming told you to drink acid from a car battery to cure corona virus we all know what would happen.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
That's big coming from some one that thinks there are 70 genders and that c02 plant food is killing the planet.

You mad bro?
And not one of you can even explain how the vaccine works and what makes it unique.
You are 100% npc's.
Have fun with the the vaccine idiots. And if the tv programming told you to drink acid from a car battery to cure corona virus we all know what would happen.
I don’t recall ever sharing my opinions on gender or global warming here. I think you’re talking to a straw man.

NickFire

One of the beautiful things about the NPC label, is it can accurately apply to people on any side of an aisle. I think it stings more for people with expensive degrees that don't amount to anything, but there are plenty of living caricatures wherever you look.

StormCell

This started off as the most thoughtful post in the thread, inspiring people to abandon their posts on the right and left in favour of meeting in the middle to discuss ideas and understand each other with the goal of moving forward as people who all share the end goal of wanting happiness for themselves and others. Then it ended by saying "Fuck that, too much effort for NPCs lol"
:LOL:

There's a story behind that. I'm still quite pissed at them over their agreeing with some key media people being ousted over contextual use of certain words. Basically, the "fuck you" was from them to me in the form of an assertion that there is never any excuse for a white person to say the N-word. Like, ever. Not even in explaining to your kid what word not to use. Never. And using it even once, if anybody ever knew you said it is reason enough for you to be fired, kicked out of your house, bank accounts closed, bounty hunters hired to search for you, etc. and you had it coming to you, etc.

So you see... NPCs, all of them. They started from a script. They ended with a script. Hopefully none of them are critical to important quests should they get a bloody war on their hands.

Soodanim

:LOL:

There's a story behind that. I'm still quite pissed at them over their agreeing with some key media people being ousted over contextual use of certain words. Basically, the "fuck you" was from them to me in the form of an assertion that there is never any excuse for a white person to say the N-word. Like, ever. Not even in explaining to your kid what word not to use. Never. And using it even once, if anybody ever knew you said it is reason enough for you to be fired, kicked out of your house, bank accounts closed, bounty hunters hired to search for you, etc. and you had it coming to you, etc.

So you see... NPCs, all of them. They started from a script. They ended with a script. Hopefully none of them are critical to important quests should they get a bloody war on their hands.
Fucking NPCs

JCK75

I care about my favorite game characters too much to tarnish their good name comparing them to woke dipshits.

K' Dash

I would laugh my ass off if someone "insulted" me like that.

Didn't even know people were using it.

Last edited:

You mad bro?
You are 100% npc's.

Yes you are the definition of an npc.
Just think! In reality you can see with your own eyes that no one any where is suffering from any kind of breathing difficulty! Let alone the common cold or flu!
Yet you believe everything the tv programming tells you.
Have you ever heard of Joeseph Goebbels and what he pioneered?

Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

What an embarrassing couple of posts.

Ionian

Not one of those people are even old enough to get vaccinated yet.

Now those are NPCs.

Gotta love the last sign "True agenda, depopulation and Chinese takeover!".

Why not get the vaccine then? haha. The vaccine here isn't even Chinese.

EDIT: The comments at the end of the article are pretty funny, worth a read.

jCInWDb.jpg

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
I've been seeing people use NPC as an insult more often recently. It's a pathetic insult and you're doing yourself a disservice by using it.

If I'm participating online and someone calls me an "NPC", that doesn't make me think I'm incapable of higher thought. It makes me think the person saying it is incapable of interacting with normal people> it is a sign that you're in way too deep into gamer culture. Use a better insult and stop embarassing yourself.
Jca9tXa.jpg

I’m not saying you’re an NPC... but what I am saying is that this sounds just like a thread an NPC would make, OP.

notseqi

Well said.
Many are turning into chatbots, why not call them that.

I don’t recall ever sharing my opinions on gender or global warming here. I think you’re talking to a straw man.
he's a massive drive-by asshole and can and should be ignored

Soodanim

The thing about this NPC thing from the “Mainstream acceptance” perspective is that could easily apply the other way round. There are people who will blindly accept contrarian points of view, ignoring the irony of thinking what they’ve read is right. It doesn’t make them any less of an NPC, and we see the so often when the same old tired stock responses.

God forbid you have a nuanced view on things that doesn't neatly fit on the political spectrum. Agree with the conservatives and you get lauded for your analysis, but as soon as you disagree with a right-leaning talking point, you get called an NPC, a fedora-wearing neckbeard, a marxist, a communist or a REEtard.

The right likes to complain a lot about the obtuse lingo of the far-left, but their buzzwords aren't any less dull-witted. They are gratuitously applied with plump pathos as a mere sign of allegiance to the in-group. It's all so tiresome and increasingly futile to get through the thick shielding. It's nothing more but exclusionary language to keep people who think otherwise out of the tree-house.

There's nothing smart about posting wojaks and other flavor of the month memes, all it does is facilitate the emergence of yet another echo chamber.

The NPC insult is thrown around too often (as is SJW, incel etc) but it was born from the all too robotic and automatic ( like an AI...GET IT) responses that so many would give when challenged to actually think...

When the automatic response for a person boils down to political buzzwords or dehumanizing somebody they disagree with and no real rational thought...well then you're simply a thoughtless drone merely repeating a script...
I actively abstain from using most buzzwords (I have thrown around incel and NPC occasionally but tbh more often as a joke)... but there *are* people I'd qualify as human NPCs.

Soodanim

God forbid you have a nuanced view on things that doesn't neatly fit on the political spectrum. Agree with the conservatives and you get lauded for your analysis, but as soon as you disagree with a right-leaning talking point, you get called an NPC, a fedora-wearing neckbeard, a marxist, a communist or a REEtard.

The right likes to complain a lot about the obtuse lingo of the far-left, but their buzzwords aren't any less dull-witted. They are gratuitously applied with plump pathos as a mere sign of allegiance to the in-group. It's all so tiresome and increasingly futile to get through the thick shielding. It's nothing more but exclusionary language to keep people who think otherwise out of the tree-house.

There's nothing smart about posting wojaks and other flavor of the month memes, all it does is facilitate the emergence of yet another echo chamber.
Case in point: the Politics section. It’s full of people taking shots at whoever they don’t like, and a genuine exchange of ideas is uncommon. I’ve given up even going there, because it’s boring seeing the overly emotional reactions to things. No nuance, just reacting to headlines and a few scattered tweets from nobodies as they’re seen with no thought. That’s as NPC as anything else.

MMaRsu

Banned
I actively abstain from using most buzzwords (I have thrown around incel and NPC occasionally but tbh more often as a joke)... but there *are* people I'd qualify as human NPCs.
Why?

Whats your definition of an "NPC" if we are talking about a human being with feelings, emotions and just in general is a person just like you and me.

You might disagree with their opinions in all cases. Why would it make anyone an "NPC"?????????

I think its just dumbass buzzword to shut down discussions so you dont have to engage with people who have different opinions than you.

"OH YOU ARE REPUBLICAN/DEMOCRAT/ATHEIST/INSERT GENERALIZATION HERE SO YOU MUST BE AN NPC LOLOLOL"

Peggies

Gold Member
As usual I'm kind of late to such things, so I only learned of the insult "NPC" recently but find it quite funny and appropriate for a certain type.
There are people who tend to discuss a topic using stupidly bland statements like "We are talking about HUMAN BEINGS" trying to shut down a conversation.
You can call them "emotional vampires" as well but "NPC" is funnier.

Last edited:

Ionian

As usual I'm kind of late to such things, so I only learned of the insult "NPC" recently but find it quite funny and appropriate for a certain type.
There are people who tend to discuss a topic using stupidly bland statements like "We are talking about HUMANS" trying to shut down a conversation.
You can call them "emotional vampires" as well but "NPC" is funnier.

Oh it's hilarious as it makes no sense. Took off from 4Chan and then grown men nearly a decade later started using it as an insult.

Impossible not to laugh at. Actual adults using it (or being offended by it) is hilarious.

Every video game they play has NPCs, it was a troll meme picked up by the media when it was only a joke to start with.

I'd compare it to this;

MMaRsu

Banned
"Took off from 4Chan"

Ahh yes the anus of the internet, they produce some of the funniest shit

(no they dont)

Why?

Whats your definition of an "NPC" if we are talking about a human being with feelings, emotions and just in general is a person just like you and me.

You might disagree with their opinions in all cases. Why would it make anyone an "NPC"?????????

I think its just dumbass buzzword to shut down discussions so you dont have to engage with people who have different opinions than you.

"OH YOU ARE REPUBLICAN/DEMOCRAT/ATHEIST/INSERT GENERALIZATION HERE SO YOU MUST BE AN NPC LOLOLOL"

You seem a lot more invested in this than me.

And if I do use it (which again, if you read my post, is pretty much never) is when someone is mindlessly parroting an opinion or statement direct from another source without any attempt at analysis or understanding.

Top Bottom