• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Calvin Klein: Ad with FKA twigs banned for objectifying women

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-67933321

MixCollage-09-Jan-2024-10-26-AM-8490.jpg

An advert for Calvin Klein has been banned after complaints the images used were "overly sexualised".

The poster featured singer FKA twigs wearing a denim shirt that was drawn halfway around her body, showing the side of her buttocks and half of one breast.

Above her, the text read: "Calvins or nothing".

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) found the ad was likely to cause serious offence by objectifying women.

The regulator ruled the "image's composition placed viewers' focus on the model's body rather than on the clothing being advertised".

It also noted by focusing on FKA twigs' "physical features", it had "presented her as a stereotypical sexual object".

"We therefore concluded the ad was irresponsible and likely to cause serious offence," it said.

Defending its advert, Calvin Klein said it had been similar to those it had been releasing in the UK for many years.

The fashion brand described the Two Weeks hitmaker as a "confident and empowered woman", and said she had collaborated with the company to produce the image and had approved it before publication.

FUBARx89

Should be banned for being offensive. What the fuck is her face? Looks like a real life Ghost Face with that chin and jaw.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
All shapes of people who can move actively should be represented... From skinny to the bigger ... Up until the 20th century, bigger women were considered more desirable because the bigger a woman was, the better she knew how to cook. By the 20th century, it was more widely accepted for women to be smaller but still curvy ... By the 60s, Uber skinny was now in thanks to Twiggy, believe it or not.

Now... I don't care. I like who I like and I like them thin AND thick and sometimes bigger. Depends.

Top Bottom