• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can anyone explain this? Black people I need your help.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
First of all, I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this.

I moved to STL a few years ago and live in area with a large percentage of black people. I grew up in a majority (almost 100 percent) white area.

I've noticed that, when I interact with black strangers, a small percentage of them speak extremely quietly in return. So quietly that I'm missing some of the things they're saying. If I had to guess, I'd say it's anywhere between 5% to 10% of my interactions. Also, I'm not positive but it seems to be with mostly younger black people. People between the ages of 10 and 40. I don't sense any attitude or disrespect, maybe shyness, but after getting another quiet Home Depot employee tonight, I thought I'd ask NeoGAF.

This is not a recent occurrence either. I've noticed this for most of my adult life.

I have not noticed this behavior with any other group of people.

Help me understand.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Black people are well known for their quiet cultural heritage from Jamaica and African countries. A good example is daggering, a Jamaican non-verbal reaction that perfectly encapsulates what you’re talking about. You would have to look it up to get a better idea, as there’s some subtleties that I’m not familiar with.

Top Bottom