• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can anyone sell me on Persona 5 Royal or is it a straight up cash grab?

SCB3

I finished the Original version back on its release (my 2nd Persona game after 4 Golden on Vita) and aside from not including Royal as a DLC (paid or not) seems scummy on Atlus' part

However I noticed it was currently half price and wondering if the added content and QoL features were worth it, especially on a PS5 now

saintjules

Watch this and decide for yourself...

Nice vid. I played the original version when it released. Took a hiatus on it for a number of months and went back to finish it.

It's a great game, but to go back into the game again might be a pain for some, even with the new addons/changes. The Palaces were a real drag, which was the deal breaker for me to pursue Royal.

Last edited:

Zeeed

I've only played the Royal edition, so can't really compare.

But it seems every review I have watched of the game, the reviewer seems to sort of say the same thing(and that's why I bought Royal):
-If you have never played the original and want to get into Persona 5, get the Royal version
-If you want to reply the whole game all over again, get the Royal version

Some hard core fans or persona 5 said Royal is worth it at full price for all the new contents, so if you can get Royal for half price, I think you can't go wrong with that, if you consider yourself a Persona 5 hard core fan.

For me personally, the character I decided to romance isn't even in the original.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I was so eager to replay it that I bought Royal without thinking twice.

That said, the game has some new cool additions during the game, adds new mechanics to the combat, new music nd Morgana learns to shut up more often.

What I enjoyed most is the new content after the main game. It has a darker tone and also displays a morally gray dillema that the characters have to face, which is one of the things I love about SMT games.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Right this way OP:

I understand the frustration around it not being DLC but I also understand why Atlus did not go that route. I can’t think of another game that has quite the same situation with the new content. Royal makes some changes to the narrative structure of the game in addition to introducing new mechanics. Even comparing it to something like a directors cut of a movie with new scenes and a new ending wouldn’t quite capture what they’ve done with it.

Last edited:

K.S v2.0

Banned
The added content is worth it, but at the time you can't help but feel the sting a bit if you dipped in @ full price on P5 vanilla. It's the kind of thing that makes you go 'well next time I'll just wait for Royal/Golden/whatever edition' if you're not the type that absolutely MUST play day 1.

Tmack

Got the regular version bundled with PS+ Collection and plan to play it eventually.

Hate to know theres a "better version avaible" and now I don`t plan to play it anytime soon because of that.

Guess i`ll just wait. lol

lachesis

Well, as per the cash grab, sure I think it is blatant cash grab.... but it's really up to you how much cash you are willing to pay for that experience.

Currently playing the Dragon Quest XIs on GamePass - although I do have original one on PS4 (but haven't played much).
Similar cash grab, but I think I'm appreciating all the QoL improvements they've supposedly added here. I think it would have taken many hours just trying to gather all the materials in this case - as I'm forging every single items to its maximum capacity and all.

I platinummed original P5 a couple years back, and didn't want to commit to P5R until the price is right. My price was 19.99 or lower on either physical or digital - and I got 19.99 deal from last black Friday. The memory is still relatively fresh, but I think I will give it another go.

I'm sure the new character arcs would add some more interesting tidbits and all. Currently not really looking at anything regarding the new character devs and all. Only thing is that I wish the stats would carry over (or at least some things) from original.... but looking forward to dive into the world of P5 once again, hopefully before P5S releases.

protonion

The extra content is extremely significant.
It made me love the game even more.
The way it expands the story is masterful.

Since you have played it, I suggest playing with a 100% guide on easy until the 3rd semester.

iorek21

If you love P5, you’ll fall in love again with Royal.

It felt like a new journey for me, even if I knew that most of the stuff was the same.

I think all the upgrades and story additions justify paying the full price. But I guess it may not be for everyone since Persona 5 is already a 100h game, and dropping another 130h might be a lot for some.

OuterLimits

Nice vid. I played the original version when it released. Took a hiatus on it for a number of months and went back to finish it.

It's a great game, but to go back into the game again might be a pain for some, even with the new addons/changes. The Palaces were a real drag, which was the deal breaker for me to pursue Royal.

the problem for Persona 5 in my opinion was the first dungeon(story arc) was the peak of the game, and things started becoming less interesting after. Hours after the first dungeon I was starting to almost dislike the game and just wanted it to end.

I had no desire to play Royal after the long slog through original P5. For newcomers though, yeah it's probably the better version. Much like P3 FES was.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I only played Royal, but with how long the game is and how it drags in a few areas I can’t imagine playing it a second time.

Jeeves

I started with Royal as my first entry to the series, almost done with the game. It's great, but...if they make a habit of doing this I could definitely see myself skipping on the vanilla version of Persona 6.
Make sure to look up how to get access to the new palace unless you see yourself liking the game so much and don't mind doing multiple playthroughs till you find out the requirements... 👀 👀 👀
Wow, I just looked this up and I'm pretty sure it's too late for me. ....Kinda pissed now.

AmuroChan

I played the original and Royal. I purchased Royal at full price and it was 100% worth it. That said, I'm a huge Persona fan and the extra semester + another platinum trophy were enough justification for me to buy Royal.

KiNeMz

Banned
I saw it half price the other day and was drunk after some Chrissy drinks. I wanted to hear the music so I bought it. I will get back to it when after I platinum assassin's Creed and am waiting for ps5 stock in Aus.

This is coming from someone who has never played any Persona game before 5 and generally hates jrpgs. When I first bought and played P5 because of the hype I hated it, it felt ridiculous and stupid and the dungeons were absolute borefests. It slightly grew on me as I was finishing it but at the end of the day I gave it a 7/10. Fast forward 2 years or w/e time has passed and I decided to say FUCK IT, as an already poor man, to fully buy P5R at its full price because honestly, I had nothing major to play. My final rating after finishing P5R is 8.5/10 and no I'm not fucking with you. For some reason and I'll be honest, not just due to the changes but the second playthrough which I rarely do, somehow made me appreciate the game even more. Honestly the new stuff that were brought at the end, the new characters and all were pretty good tbh.

If anyone is considering spending 100+ hours in the world of Persona 5, they owe it to themselves to play Royal. The game is better in almost every regard. I honestly think its worth it just because of the new character Kasumi.

Jeeves

Wow, I just looked this up and I'm pretty sure it's too late for me. ....Kinda pissed now.
Can someone clear this up for me and tell me if I'll have the new semester or not? The websites I looked at didn't really state the requirements in the clearest of terms. Here's the state my game is in:
I'm in Shido's palace right now. I maxed my confidant ranks with Maruki and Kasumi, but I only ever got to rank 4 with Akechi.

I had the first one and double dipped on Royal. I enjoyed it. Even did a second playthrough because I didn't get the "best" ending in the first playthrough.

Zeeed

I enjoyed the original Persona 4.
I must have been living in a cave because I didn't hear anything about Persona 5.
By the time I crawled out of my cave, Persona 5 Royal was ready for me.

I thought I moved away from the turn based combat a long time ago because I felt the method was too slow and boring. But Persona 5 Royal just did everything so right that they made me love turn based combat all over again.

I hope in Persona 6 they keep the P5R combat system and improve on it. No need to go back to the drawing board again.

Can someone clear this up for me and tell me if I'll have the new semester or not? The websites I looked at didn't really state the requirements in the clearest of terms. Here's the state my game is in:
I'm in Shido's palace right now. I maxed my confidant ranks with Maruki and Kasumi, but I only ever got to rank 4 with Akechi.

Iirc you are safe. You can only get rank 5 with that character after a certain point in that dungeon. The other ranks either complete automatically or can be leveled after the dungeon, don't remember how it went.

I'm not 100% sure tho so grain of salt.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Any chance they would release it in a ps5 box ?
I don't think there is ever going be a PS5 version, but you can just get physical version of PS4 box and play it on PS5. Also as much as I adore the art style and visual design, the graphics is no technical marvel.

Persona 5 was always a PS3 game that also released on PS4 and P5Royal is no different.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I don't wanna be mean but, this is a really.. tone deaf assumption.. p5 royal is the latest in a long line of re-releases of persona games going back to p3 portable.. they are, invariably, reliably, vastly superior to the vanilla titles, in some cases introducing entire new gameplay mechanics, always introducing tons of new content and characters...

In short, I'm sorry but for even asking this question you should repeatedly whip yourself with a green young sapling.

Edit: for what you're getting, from which market it's coming from, p5 is a hugely visually ambitious title, and you should be grateful for what you get rather than wishing it looked better~ i think the game looks fantastic and ageless. Hell i think persona 4 Golden is better looking than a raft of more recent jrpgs, like trails in cold steel etc

Last edited by a moderator:

laynelane

I picked it up for half-price recently and I'm really enjoying it. There's lots of new additions - characters, music, dialogue, battle tactics, etc. I'm only half-way through but it was definitely worth the money.

Heartkiller

If you've played the original game recently, Royal isn't going to blow your mind or anything. It does have a lot of changes, improvements and additional content though. It's the best version of Persona 5, hands down. Perfect for first time players or people revisiting the game after a couple of years. If you adored Persona 5 like I did, Royal is absolutely worth it. I've seen it on sale a lot recently too.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think you are fine. As far as I remember the only mandatory confidant is Maruki.

Nezzeroth

A great change I never see mentioned is that certain transitions are much faster, which makes the game feel more fluid.

The victory screen for example is faster. And I'm not sure but I think the transition from a day to the next is also faster, but I may be wrong on that one.

It's a better game in all aspects, this is not a DQXI S scenario.

K.S v2.0

Banned
as someone who bought both vanilla & Royal at full price, it's definitely worth playing but it shouldn't have been full priced

I'd recommend getting it on sale if you aren't a diehard fan of the series

What they really should have done is give all owners of the vanilla edition 50% off as a loyalty discount. That would have basically made all the butthurt go away.

Otherwise, all its going to do is make ppl go 'eh, I'll wait for XX #Reload Accent Core Turbo Super Hyper Ultra Herper Derper Edition™" in future, which a lot of ppl are already doing.

Jeeves

What they really should have done is give all owners of the vanilla edition 50% off as a loyalty discount. That would have basically made all the butthurt go away.

Otherwise, all its going to do is make ppl go 'eh, I'll wait for XX #Reload Accent Core Turbo Super Hyper Ultra Herper Derper Edition™" in future, which a lot of ppl are already doing.
What scares me is...what happens when Persona 6 comes and people are tired of being burnt by buying the initial game that becomes obsolete in a few years? Enough people hold off on buying P6 Vanilla and Atlus quietly concludes that since P6 didn't sell they won't bother to redo it. So we're left waiting to play a "best version" that never arrives.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Let say this in the risk of sounding ridiculous. I couldn’t finish Persona 5 and I almost hated it. Gave it another try with Persona 5 Royal because I loved P4G so much, it is my favorite game of all time. I’m glad I gave it another try because P5R is Persona 5 done right.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
What scares me is...what happens when Persona 6 comes and people are tired of being burnt by buying the initial game that becomes obsolete in a few years? Enough people hold off on buying P6 Vanilla and Atlus quietly concludes that since P6 didn't sell they won't bother to redo it. So we're left waiting to play a "best version" that never arrives.
I'm looking forward to that.

TintoConCasera

That could also have happened with P5, after P4 and P4G, and it didn't.

My take: Atlus will announce Persona 6 like 5 years before release, later they'll delay the game like 3 or 4 times and, by the time of release, fans will be so hyped and eager to play the game that they'll (myself included) will buy it without a second thought.

And I really don't mind it. I loved both my experiences with vanilla and years later with royal, so I don't mind paying twice as long as it's a product of such quality.

Jeeves

That could also have happened with P5, after P4 and P4G, and it didn't.

My take: Atlus will announce Persona 6 like 5 years before release, later they'll delay the game like 3 or 4 times and, by the time of release, fans will be so hyped and eager to play the game that they'll (myself included) will buy it without a second thought.

And I really don't mind it. I loved both my experiences with vanilla and years later with royal, so I don't mind paying twice as long as it's a product of such quality.
Right, but now that they've done it twice...I just think the more times they repeat that pattern the more they risk people refusing to buy the vanilla edition.

Personally, I enjoy replaying a beloved game, but I really don't like the idea of buying a game knowing that in a few short years I may as well throw it in the trash. If the upgraded version was just a resolution bump or something I wouldn't be bothered, but there's no way I'd be able to still enjoy playing the vanilla game knowing the vastly better edition is out there.

After P6 delays and stuff, my reaction will probably be "I've waited this long, what's a few more years to play the real version of this game?"

Just...really not a fan of this practice from Atlus. It puts players in a super awkward spot.

Top Bottom