• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can old GBA games be online on DS?

Fatalah

For example....

The DS has a slot to play all GameBoy games. With its online capabilities, would it be possible to play Advance Wars online?

Buggy Loop

Much like GBA's wireless adapter that comes with pokemon, not gonna happen.

Would be sweet if nintendo would "hack" their own games into thinking that they're connected through cables to other GBAs, when its wireless internet.. But i wouldnt count on nintendo to do that :p

WindyMan

Yeah, the technology needs to be built in to the game for it to take advantage of the hardware.

Then again, who's to say that Nintendo can't find out a way to fake it?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
No, software would have to coded with this in mind - I doubt anyone was thinking of DS when they were making Advance Wars.

mattx5

Could someone clear this up for me? I know DS will be able to play GBA games, but what about GBC and GB games?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Someone mentioned it won't play regular GB/GBC games cause it doesn't have the chipset for it, or whatever...only ARM7 or whatever? I'm not into the technical details, but apparantly it's not gonna play GB/GBC games

GDGF

Soothsayer
It's still entirely possible to emulate the Z80 (GB/GBC) processor in the NDS, but no one knows if that's what Nintendo is up to.

ChrisReid

Fatalah said:
How about with DS's 100ft wireless connectivity? That'll work with a 2Player GBA game?

No, it won't even be possible with the official GBA wireless adapter coming out in a month or so. The software is designed to take advantage of the specific bandwidth and latency properties of the cable.. and what the cable does is different from what the wireless will be able to do.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT: but if the DS's bandwidth and latency are > the minimum requirements of the standard link cable it would theoretically be possible, no?

Wario64 said:
I think the wireless part is what's barring the ability to play GBA games online..
This is the way I always understood it.

The GBA wireless adapter has a different bandwidth than the normal GBA link cable so games would need to be optimised for it and that is why only specific newer games were prepared.

If the DS has a fatter bandwidth for wireless link up all they have to do is convince the GBA cart that it is being hooked up properly. As long as the data transfer speed is fast enough to handle it. The DS's wireless capabilities would have to be capable of handling what the original GBAs cable handeled in terms of transfer.

jarrod

Banned
So wait, will wireless specific GBA games still be able to be played over DS?

Oh and here's the wireless GBA listing so far (feel free to add anything if I'm missing it)...

-Classic NES Series
-Digimon Racing
-Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games
-Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
-Mario Golf: Advance Tour
-Pirate Battle
-Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green

Top Bottom