• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain Minecraft editions?

nkarafo

I want to get into the main campaign of this game but there seems to be many editions. There's the regular Minecraft, there's Mincraft story mode and Minecraft Dungeons.

Then there's the single player campaign and multiplayer.

I just want to play a survival, single player campaign, if there's such a thing. Do i have to get a certain version? Does the other versions (story and Dungeons) contain the main game? Is there a complete edition?

It's a bit confusing for a newcomer.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Minecraft - the standard game
Story - spin off game with a story (Minecraft doesn't have one)
Dungeons - spin off dungeon crawler game
Earth - Augmented Reality mobile game

If you've never played Minecraft then obviously get the standard game and go from there. On most platforms now there is only really one version you can buy which is the Bedrock edition. If you're on PC you can get either the Windows 10 edition (based on Bedrock) or the Java edition which is the original edition.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
I want to get into the main campaign of this game but there seems to be many editions. There's the regular Minecraft, there's Mincraft story mode and Minecraft Dungeons.

I just want to play a survival, single player campaign, if there's such a thing. Do i have to get a certain version? Does the other versions (story and Dungeons) contain the main game? Is there a complete edition?

That are three different games from different developers. What's confusing about that. Existence of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Tactics also confuse you?

D.Final

Banned

Different edition for the same game

Rawker

Help: I have disc verson on xbox one 1.60.1923.0 and I can't figure out how to play online. I have live but the load tab is just blank.

Also what is bedrock?

Codes 208

Different edition for the same game
Minecraft story and dungeon are not the same game as Minecraft.
Help: I have disc verson on xbox one 1.60.1923.0 and I can't figure out how to play online. I have live but the load tab is just blank.

Also what is bedrock?
Bedrock is the current up-to-date version of Minecraft. If you’re playing the Xbox one edition it may not have online support anymore as it’s the out-of-date version, I suggest downloading the bedrock version (which is simply titled ‘Minecraft’)

emmerrei

The original Minecraft is the Java Edition, and the more "free" version, with mods and community support, and community custom server is only the Java Edition. From the acquisition of Minecraft from Microsoft, they transformed the Mobile version in the Bedrock version, also i think the console version also vary from the mobile/window 10 edition. The point is, on the bedrock version they want to sell you skins for money, and all is made in a way where you can't touch anything. Plus if you tell me, all the game feels like a ripoff of the original. It's almost 1:1 but feels like a ripoff.
The Java edition instead, it's like an open source game. And don't worry, the Java edition, for how much Java is heavy, it runs on a toaster. Microsoft will eventually kill the original version, just because it's not corporate friendly.

Last edited:

Rawker

Thanks, I bought it for my kids a few months ago and knew it was popular but never followed the game past that. Kids are happy and it was only $30, they are not influenced to buy items and don't care so we should be good.

I understand your frustration but at the end of the day game development is not cheap. I play pubg and it was $30, I've spent about $60 on in-game transactions since the Initial purchase 3 years ago. They have updated every month since release and although the dev team is small and very green they are trying. If the game is updated for long enough then it becomes possible for them to release a new updated iteration to further my enjoyment and if not I will move on.

Top Bottom