• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain the 2011 movie Immortals to me?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
images

Watched it yesterday on NF.

I dont follow greek mythology so I have no idea close it is to the real stories, but know enough about the minotaur, zeus, ares and such (Clash of the Titans and God of War mainstream stuff). I totally get the director's take on myth is his own as the gods are all 28 year old GQ models.

Maybe I missed the plot explanations, but here's some things I dont understand:

1. Why does bad guy want to release the titans? They seem like uber powerful ghouls who would attack anything including him and his own army

2. A burial location is deep in a maze/crypt, which is guarded by a minotaur (which is a different take on it as he's actually a big henchman with a bull helmet loyal to Hyperion). Why the hell would a morgue be in the middle of the maze?

3. Gods hid the super bow, and put it in the middle of that crypt embedded in a big rock which Henry Cavill notices and simply retrieves it using a sledgehammer. Why would the gods put it in location where people can be, not hidden better (like the middle of a volcano or simply up in their sky castle?)

4. If the bow is that deadly and needed to be hidden by the gods, why not just destroy it 1000 years ago like Zeus did later on in the movie?

5. The gods are super powerful but can be killed with swords and knives?

6. When the titans are released and running around like cockroaches attacking, where did they get all the bladed weapons if they were initially trapped in the cage?

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I don’t remember much. I remember it being hyped up at the time. Thought it was pretty shit. I have been contemplating on rewatching it though

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don’t remember much. I remember it being hyped up at the time. Thought it was pretty shit. I have been contemplating on rewatching it though
Not a movie I'll ever rewatch although some of the fight scenes are slick. Not a great movie. 5 or 6/10 tops.

Last edited:

Fbh

The movie wasn't good enough for a lot of people to remember details after 11 years.

All I remember about it is that just like the new Clash of the Titans the trailer was way cooler than the actual movie.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It's been years since I watched this.

I don't remember that much, but I do remember thinking it was shit. It's a story created around Greek mythology and not an actual Greek mythological tale, IIRC.

Why can't anybody make a decent modern film about Greek mythology? The last one I saw was the BBC mini series on the Iliad and.......well the less said about that the better.

Amiga

It's been years since I watched this.

I don't remember that much, but I do remember thinking it was shit. It's a story created around Greek mythology and not an actual Greek mythological tale, IIRC.

Why can't anybody make a decent modern film about Greek mythology? The last one I saw was the BBC mini series on the Iliad and.......well the less said about that the better.
In the actual myths, the "hero" characters do horrible stuff. What they fight for isn't just. Hard to make a movie about it in these modern times without heavy altering.

Wildebeest

I thought this was going to be about the Enki Bilal film, but I didn't really understand that one well enough to explain it either.

The Titans and Olympians are normally pictured as being pretty human looking overall, but there was a lot of fighting, cannibalism and them being pulled out of each other's foreheads and so on. The like "original sin" in Greek myth was when some of the more monstrous gods were locked up in Tartarus, but they were not called Titans, and actually ended up being allies of the Olympians.

Last edited:
I liked the movie but it's not perfect far from it.
ad. 4 That's what I wondered myself. Zeus is just stupid in this movie.
ad. 5 Well I don't remember much from mythology but titans were older than gods and powerful enough to fight them. So it's not about swords and knifes but who wields them.

Top Bottom