• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can someone explain what the hell this article is talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://physorg.com/news2952.html

This is what really lost me.
The validation of probabilistic bits or PBITs is most significant in the area of reduced power consumption and increased processing speeds, resulting in making computer devices run faster and more energy efficient. A PBIT is like a conventional bit in that it takes on a 0 or a 1 value, except that one is certain of its value only with a probability of p. Current hardware, using conventional bits, expends large amounts of energy calculating with absolute certainty.

So, whats a PBIT?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So, whats a PBIT?
I think it's like a conventional bit in that it takes on a 0 or a 1 value, except one is certain of its value only with a probability of p.

Azih

The bolded part explains exactly what a PBIT is. Now WHY a PBIT would lead to much more efficient computing is not explained.

Azih

Thing is the explanation of why pbits could be great is almost definetly over our freaking heads.

I'm thinking crazy hardcore mathematical equations and proofs and shit.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Can probably only be used in situations where a specific value range is expected. Probably a mechanism similar to a parity bit is used to determine if the bits were correct. I dunno, it's interesting.

sefskillz said:
Can probably only be used in situations where a specific value range is expected. Probably a mechanism similar to a parity bit is used to determine if the bits were correct. I dunno, it's interesting.

hot pants right?

Azih

I'm guessing that since the article said that current hardware expends a lot of power calculating things with ABSOLUTE certainty, the PBIT hardware doesn't. It probably calculates values with a certain probability that the value is correct and I guess the prob. is high enough to be useful.

Jim Bowie

right-triangle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom