• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk specifically about the Supreme Court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft

The Supreme Court is going to be conservative leaning for decades. The only question is how big a lean.

Kephar

On the bright side they only have to get through 3 years because they can't vote on a justice during an election year.

Kill3r7

they are appointed by politicians, so that point is moot. I think it's ok to have a single rather long term, like 8 years or something but for life doesn't make any sense to me. in sweden they sit on 1 year terms, and that seems to work pretty well.

It is not. The lifetime appointment was suppose to keep justices insulated from politics and by en large it has worked. It bared fruit in the creation of Judicial Review. It is how we ended up with someone like Justice Blackmun, Warren, Brennan, Souter who started out as conservatives and over time became some of the most liberal justices in history of SCOTUS or vice versa in the case of Justice Franfurter or Black. Justice Stevens is another more recent example and to a certain extent Justice Kennedy. As a matter a fact, Republicans have had a terrible time picking conservative Justices who align with their ideology. Even Roberts has become somewhat of a centrist.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The dem map for 2018 senate is f-ed. It's impossible to imagine unless there's a very huge anti-Trump wave.

Considering that the vast majority of the vulnerable Senate seats being contested in 2018 are Dems, I would expect that they will be doing extremely well if they manage to keep the total number of seats they have the same.

Very true. We have to hope that Trump really fucks up somehow so the tide turns against him. There is a recent trend of congress swinging the opposite way in mid-terms, but it will be much more challenging this time given the map of what's up in 2018 for sure.

I plan on pinching pennies (need to anyway after some huge vet bills this year and wanting to save up more for a home down payment) and avoid buying American made shit when possible to miniscually up the odds that the economy worsens rather than improves for the rust belt shit kickers who stupidly thought a millionaire real estate mogul would have working class interests at heart.

Neo C.

I have no doubt that the SCOTUS will be conservative for the next three decades, five if Trump can put more than three of them.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
How likely is it that democrats regain majority in the house before 2020?

House will be super tough after the recent gerrymandering. Just too many rural, white districts out there.

Senate is more likely, but the 2018 map isn't favorable for them as most contested seats are Democratic ones rather than Republican ones.

Taking back both houses will have to take Trump doing some very unpopular things, the economy tanking hardcore etc.

Pyrokai

House will be super tough after the recent gerrymandering. Just too many rural, white districts out there.

Senate is more likely, but the 2018 map isn't favorable for them as most contested seats are Democratic ones rather than Republican ones.

Taking back both houses will have to take Trump doing some very unpopular things, the economy tanking hardcore etc.

You act like there isn't a chance this will happen.

And I really, really want Obama to do that loophole. Stick it to 'em for the good of the country, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom