• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can WOW be played....

{Mike}

Banned
without having to lose life? Seems an odd question, but I always refused to play such games because I don't want to be addicted and refuse to grind, like I had to do when playing Ragnarok before paying for it. I wrote many news about WOW, how people play it so much and how addictive it can be. But can I have fun in it without spending countless hours? I suppose it depends on the way you play it, I'd just like to read your opinion.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think the general consensus is, yes you can. But quit playing when you get to the end-game grind.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Of course one can play without losing their social life. It's just a matter of not letting yourself get sucked in like some. At this point, people who want to do regular raids for fancy loot, or to kill the tougher bosses have a good selection of guilds on their given server to accomidate those who like that sort of thing. At least that's what I've noticed on my server. Those who prefer to play casually just don't join these groups, and do their own thing instead, and pretty much everyone respects them for it. The game is reasonably well setup to accomidate those who want tons of fancy items and boss fights, as well as weekend warriors IMO.

It's not very satisfying when you only play it a little bit, because you'll level slowly and therefore get to new content slowly. So you end up doing the same things every time you log in, which is boring.

Defcon

Banned
Open Source said:
It's not very satisfying when you only play it a little bit, because you'll level slowly and therefore get to new content slowly. So you end up doing the same things every time you log in, which is boring.

This is the truth.

I played it for a year... almost exclusively with my Gnome Rogue who had to play only with my girlfriend's Gnome Mage. We duoed everywhere. Played on average maybe about 8 hours a week (1 or 2 short nights, and then one "longer" 3-4 hour night where we could instance run [if at appropriate level]).

It took us like 9 months to get to level 60, but it was pretty damn fun the whole way. After about a month of being 60, we were both pretty done though.

border

Open Source said:
It's not very satisfying when you only play it a little bit, because you'll level slowly and therefore get to new content slowly.
When you only play a little bit, you level at twice the speed.

Of course you can. WoW is the most casual friendly game in MMO history.

Of course it takes longer to level but you're not doing the same things all the time if you quest while you're on.

Piscopink

Honestly, I'd say no.

MMO's are like a second life, complete with a second social network, and as you level up and join a guild... a second set of responsibilities.

If you play half-assed, you kinda only do half-assed in the game. (On the other hand, if you play non-stop, you become a complete ass. :lol )

Joe Molotov

Open Source said:

Yeah, that's what happened to me. Up to Level 20, I could play for an hour or two a day, and still feel like I was making progress. Once I got over Level 20, it seemed like I was going nowhere. It might take me a week just to gain a level.

Top Bottom