• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you focus on portable gaming when you're out?

Can you focus on the games on the road?

• Yes

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • I play only at home

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • I only play on the go

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Spyxos

I've had so many portables from Game Boy to Psp to Switch. I always got them so I could play on the go. But every time I unpack them when i am out, I can't concentrate on the games. At home it works great, but there they somehow miss their purpose for me.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No, I use portables around the house/in bed and sometimes I sling one in my bag when we go away to see family for a week etc. sometimes I might take one on holiday in case I want to play for half an hour when the kids are asleep, but I never end up using it as we normally drink/play cards/have quality time.

To be honest bed use has always been my primary factor since the DS. Just something comfy about it all.

I'm really thinking about getting one of those portables that play emulators... There are some games that I don't stand playing at home(because I have so many options there) but I could se myself playing if I was in a boring commute.

That would be even better than be on my mobile phone spiting facts and getting attacked here on GAF hahahahah.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No, I feel like cant completely focus on the game when playing outside, I mostly use portability to play in my bed before going to sleep.

My sole motivation buying portable systems simply because it has games I want to play.

Last edited:

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I used to play my portables on the subway. Now, this day in age, hell to the no. I dont trust a single mofo in NYC subways. You will never see me take out my Steam Deck on the train.

Last edited:
I use the Switch and 2DS on hospital stays, other than that not really. I remember the GameBoy giving me headaches on road trips as a kid.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I barely ever leave the house now without either my Switch, Steam Deck, or gaming laptop. If I have a spare moment somewhere, I'm gaming.

Ulysses 31

Depends on the types of game, heavy story driven games I prefer to play on my big screen with soundbar, the arcady ones that are easy to pick up and play I can easily do on hand helds(Switch, Analogue Pocket).

Spyxos

I use the Switch and 2DS on hospital stays, other than that not really. I remember the GameBoy giving me headaches on road trips as a kid.
I was in the hospital for 1 week and I had the Switch with me. Zelda just came out and I thought I will spend a lot of time with it, but nope. I only turned my switch on 1-2 times for a short time....

Spyxos

With two kids, wife, and animals: a week in the hospital sounds like a vacation.
1 week can be a very long time. And it depends on who you spend it with. One guy stunk like a whole zoo and the other snored so that I could hardly sleep at night. And there is almost nothing you can do in the hospital.

Even as a kid, I always played my Gameboy games from the comfort of my home. When I was in the backseat of the family car being driven by my parents, I always preferred looking at the scenery and people passing by rather than attempting to concentrate my attention on a small dimly-lit screen. In today's age, I wouldn't feel safe walking or riding around without being aware of my surroundings, so gaming on-the-go is still a no for me.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I would take a console/gaming laptop before I would take my work laptops/ipads on a trip.

Usually when I travel there are periods of intense work, but after that I am free with little to no responsibilities and that's when I get some quality/deep gaming in.

I take so much crap my carry on is always a roller suitcase full of game stuff.

JCK75

So twice a week I take my son to Karate, I'm there sitting for about 45 minutes per day and it's a perfect time to catch up on some games.
two additional days now I take him to Soccer Practice/games which is another Hour per day

My steam deck gets used and my backlog is shrinking.

Graciaus

When I use to have to go out to do my laundry they were useful. Now I just use them from my couch while I watch TV in the background.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Playing portables was always a process, a lot of students have them. Psp go was on my Christmas list, flirted with the 2ds.

MarkMe2525

1 week can be a very long time. And it depends on who you spend it with. One guy stunk like a whole zoo and the other snored so that I could hardly sleep at night. And there is almost nothing you can do in the hospital.
You should try sleeping next to my wife 😐

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I typically bring along a Switch and Android tablet for gaming when travelling. I typically only play handhelds in hotel rooms, on planes, or when visiting and staying with family.

SeraphJan

Depends on type of game really, I could play turn based or light action games on portable, however game that require extra focus handheld might not be the best option

hemo memo

Gold Member
Other than the plane to distract myself because of fear of flying, I mostly play at home (Switch).

Last edited:
Top Bottom