• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you see the white blood cells in your eye? (Scheerer's phenomenon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

As far as I know anyone can do this, but apparently the intensity depends on each individual, and there's people who claim they cant see them at all.

I have a crazy sensitive perception of them, wich somehow got even more identifiable after I got some very nasty eye floaters a few months ago. Now I can easily see them on almost any bright colored surface without concentrating, they're just there.

This is a good video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkUwogWzSwk

and even though the most effective way for me to see them right away is on a back-lit white screen, most people seem to notice it on the sky, so a good way to test would be to fullscreen this:

Sky_Blue.png

step a bit back from your monitor and try to zone out

or just follow the video posted above

it's nowhere near as bothersome as eye floaters but it blows my mind that we can actually see this.

Ronin

Yeah, it's pretty trippy. I noticed it one day at work when I was just blankly staring at my monitor.

Salsa

I would be happier not knowing this was a thing I could do.

most people just find it a weird distraction since it's a matter of concentration or actively thinking about it for most

I can just see it on even the fucking google homescreen without doing anything

Pau

I would be happier not knowing this was a thing I could do.
Yup. Anything that reminds me of blood or just anything inside my body makes me queasy.

And yet I still clicked the thread. :(

*never stares at the sky again*

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yup I can do this pretty easily. Always see eye floaters with any kind of decent light and when looking at the sky I often see the white blood cell streaks. I have crazy good near sight, especially when I don't have my contacts in for my mediocre far sight. I can see the pours on my hand and other really minute details without even trying.

I can also shake my eyes. Though the intensity isn't as great as others I have met. And oddly they were ask guys with red or blonde-ish hair.

Salsa

Yup. Anything that reminds me of blood or just anything inside my body makes me queasy.

And yet I still clicked the thread. :(

it's weird though cause when I first noticed it it was the last thing i'd think of. It doesnt resemble anything you'd associate with blood or anything like that. It's like weird little flashes

it's more like sperm one a sine wave

Zucchi

oh, THAT'S what that is? I've seen those floaty amoeba like things in my eyes for years (only when I un-focus my eyes in a certain way though..) Weird!

Aaaaahahaha I told my second grade teacher I could see cells in my eye but she didn't believe me! She thought I was crazy! NOW LOOK WHO'S CRAZY

LordCanti

I can see sparklies but they aren't very well defined. The "look through a pinhole at white light and see your eye veins" one was a lot more immediate and obvious.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Had a floater today and was wondering wtf they were.

I also see small sparks sometimes, looks like the animations showing electrical current going along a circuit board.

zeioIIDX

What's weird is that I first noticed this on the playground when I was in 4th grade. I remember sitting at the top of the slide and staring up into the sky and suddenly it looked like I could see "air" lmao. I swear, it looked like how they show atoms in science shows and stuff. Like tiny little atoms sparking off each other and speeding around through the air.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i think this is what i see when guns go off in movies too and the screen flashes, i see the dots too.. :p

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level

I was actually expecting this to be in the video. Turns out they're floaters! I usually play around with them by refocusing my sight, effectively moving them around in my field of vision. It's a fun little distraction when you've just woken up, but don't feel like getting out of bed.

lightus

Just to clarify, the white blood cells are not floaters correct?

From my understanding, floaters are collagen break down in the gel/fluid in the space between the lens and retina.

What this thread is referring to is the random specs of white that flashes when you stare at blue light.

Salsa

Floaters can be an issue though, depending on how bad you get them

I already made a thread back when they first appeared but I have at least 4 in each eye and they are super distracting. Cant help but look away (or at them) every time a white/light color screen comes up, for example. Or get distracted by them while reading, they're just always there.

this is much less bothersome and isnt really a sign of any abnormality

Floaters piss me off no end. I wish they would fuck off, they cloud my otherwise very pleasing vision.

I see this white blood cell phenomenon, and other interesting visual stuff. I actually think I have very mild HPPD (hallucinogen-persisting-perception-discorder) but in a lot of ways this has improved my vision. Everything is sharper and clearer, and colours are subtly saturated/brighter. But it also increases my tendency to see patterns in things, and certain textures (like wavy lines) can really mess with my eyes.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I always knew they were white blood cells thanks to the movie Inner Space. I have always seen them as far back as I could remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom