• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you type onto PDF files in Adobe Acrobat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
really? I always thought one of the PDF formats features was that was it was uneditable after, therefore you can't edit say a report that someone sends you. I figured it was supposed to be that way, so you could print a pdf, but once you have, if you want changes you need to re-edit the original.

SD-Ness

It wasn't working then and it isn't now. I click the T and there is an insertion point, but I can't type...

Burger

How about this:

Anyone know if there is ANY way to extract fonts from PDF files ? Or at least convert them to paths before importing into something like Illustrator ?

The bane of my life is a PDF file with embedded fonts that I can't get into illustrator to setup for print.

I'm and FTP and PDF expert for my job so this is EASY work for me.

Yes text can be added to or edited in Acrobat.. edited or not.

First things first what format? Mac or PC?

With the right filter for Acrobat 4.0 and above you can manipulate any element on the PDF as long as it's not a flattened image, IE a Tif or any other image type file.

The previously mentioned filter is Pitstop by Enfocus. It gives you the abilty to move, or manipulate the elemnts as you see fit. I use it every day at work for our magazines we do. With over 2000 pages + a week, I have a pretty good gfrasp on things.

Basically, I need a bit more info on the said PDF. Any idea what program it was built with, that in itself makes a huge difference. WHat types of manipulation are you attempting to do.

Just give me some more information and I'll give you the best solution.

Just for straight out type modification the "T" text tool should work.. as long as the font isnt flattened onto the document, like a Photoshop PDF.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
crap. forget that.

Ok, I just typed

"testing that thing for that dude" into adobe 6 and created a pdf, now how do I just edit that within the PDF? Mine just does the same thing as the original poster. no typing. and no security on the document.

Unfortunately.... this sounds like something I'd have to take a look at to see whats going on and run some preflight test on.

I'm more of a hands on guy so describing things usually doesn't work. I need to see it.

Embedding of the fonts won't make a difference as to being able to edit them. The embedding is for print purposes.. as in sending it to a remote place for printing.

Technically, as long as the font wasn't flattened in another program you SHOULD be able to edit it to your hearts content.

One thing to try is to just do a save as file and a postscript file and run it through Distiller on your own and see if that works. Acrobat is a pissy, moody program that pretty much works when it wants to. Especially on the Mac. I find my self crashing routinley thansk to Acrobat 5.5. (We have to use it, due to the Applescripts we run)

So in other words you're not an expert like you claimed 20 times prior? How hard is this to explain? I'll watch and see if you can do it.

God's Hand some people aren't exactly the most gifted at explaining things out...myself included.

My works speaks for itself. I am the FTP and PDF expert (along with my counterpart Charles), we are personally responsible fro over 9,000 pages a month for nationwide real estate magazines.

If you have a supermarket with a Harmon Homes rack.. that's my work. I oversee that EVERY FREAKING DAY.

I (along with Charles) handle all the technical calls and fixing of said files, be they customer submitted (don't these bastards know what CMYK & 7.5 x 10.5 w/ 1.4 inch bleed is?) to things we have our bullpen of designers build.

And being of artistic mind.. I'm more of a hands on type of problem solver. That's what they pay me for, so that's what I do.

I'm sorry my linguistics aren't up to your high ass standards. But unfortunately I'm not getting enough information to make an educated answer about how to solve his problem. So unless you know what the fuck you're talking about, I suggest you sit down and STFU.

I have over 10 years in electronic prepress behind me, so I think I can handle myself when it comes to programs I know inside and out. Hell, I ran the composition department for a newspaper at the age of 17. Would you like to push the credentials issue some more or would you like me to continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom