• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada: marijuana to be legal by July 1, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toronto cops tend to be rather easy going. I mean. I've gotten shit for random no reason shit too, and one had the gall to ask me if I was part of a gang after a bad altercation. By and by, they're rather lenient.

well, lucky you, then. i don't think the NYPD are as forgiving.

yeah. so you can tell why i was freaking out.

although some people i talk to tell me i was just being paranoid. if the cops were out to get me they wouldn't have waited. they'd come right up to me and that'd be a wrap.

At least things didn't turn pear shaped. Keep blazing bro.

Any FDIC-backed bank is prohibited from doing business with them

So they can do banking as long as they are local, union, community, state bankings that are not FDIC insured. That's what I gather from the information you provided. IIRC some of these other banks have other insurers as well. Seems like a fair compromise to me.

I agree it needs to be federally legalized but it doesn't change the fact that it is legal in those states.

I don't understand what your point is here. All I said was that more US citizens live in jurisdictions where marijuana is legal than the population of Canada. And that's true. I'm not saying it doesn't need to be federally legalized.

I think it should be left up to the states and once it hits a certain threshold then the SC can make a decision if it should be federally legal or not.

At least things didn't turn pear shaped. Keep blazing bro.
tumblr_ofh8vo7a6A1ugk8a1o1_400.gif

inner-G

Banned
So they can do banking as long as they are local, union, community, state bankings that are not FDIC insured. That's what I gather from the information you provided. IIRC some of these other banks have other insurers as well. Seems like a fair compromise to me.
"Because of marijuana’s treatment under the CSA, any financial institution servicing an MRB can be accused of facilitating money laundering under the terms of the 1986 Money Laundering Control Act (MLCA). Even prior to the MLCA, the federal government relied on the help of financial institutions to fight against money laundering through the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) of 1970. ... The BSA applies to all banks in the U.S., be they chartered under state or federal law, and it even applies to non-banks who engage in bank-like activity."

https://sites.duke.edu/thefinregblo...-banks-shying-away-from-marijuana-businesses/

http://www.desertsun.com/story/mone.../marijuana-banking-taxes-california/96217120/

http://www.calbankers.com/post/frequently-asked-questions-marijuana-and-banking

Teletraan1

Banned
The # of plants thing kinda bothers me a bit and always makes me wonder why they don't have some weight limit instead. It seems kind of arbitrary since you could produce quite a range of yields based on how you grow it. Human nature has shown in other places that legalized it with plant limits that it funnels everyone to grow a certain way that involves a longer vegetative cycle (18h on 6h off) where you get the plant as big as possible, or trellised under a screen prior to flipping it to flowering by changing its light cycle to 12h on 12h off. You could yield the same amount with more plants with a shorter or no veg (aka less time keeping lights on for 18h a day). It doesn't sound very eco friendly to me to basically steer everyone into trying to maximize their yields down a fairly hydro frivolous route. Like obviously you don't have to do that. You can just take what you get from four plants with a quick veg but if you are going to bother lighting 4 plants you might as well maximize your ROI on what these 4 plants produce by filling the area under the light. The light doesn't care if you have 4 scrawny plants or 4 trees space permitting, it is still going to cost the same to run it. I wonder what the actual penalties for going over the plant limit are and how they would even be enforced.

Personally, I'm not going to develop a green thumb over this. I could buy chickens to get eggs, but it's a lot easier to just go to the grocery store.

sugarman

i thought it was already legal up there?
Vancouver has had semi-legal weed for a while now so not much will change on the west coast. Although growing your own does sound cool, I'll definitely try that.

We don't allow the sale of edibles though, which in my experience I sort of understand because they will fuck you up.

inner-G

Banned
Personally, I'm not going to develop a green thumb over this. I could buy chickens to get eggs, but it's a lot easier to just go to the grocery store.

Growing your own is way easier than raising chickens.

Closer to growing tomatoes, especially with today's autoflowering varieties.

We don't allow the sale of edibles though, which in my experience I sort of understand because they will fuck you up.
They can. Dosage makes a huge difference, though.

I've been whacked off of homemade ones, but the recreational ones don't faze me at all (They can legally only have like 10mg per dose THC here in WA stores. Medical/homemade edibles though, have HUNDREDS of mg of THC)

"Because of marijuana’s treatment under the CSA, any financial institution servicing an MRB can be accused of facilitating money laundering under the terms of the 1986 Money Laundering Control Act (MLCA). Even prior to the MLCA, the federal government relied on the help of financial institutions to fight against money laundering through the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) of 1970. ... The BSA applies to all banks in the U.S., be they chartered under state or federal law, and it even applies to non-banks who engage in bank-like activity."

https://sites.duke.edu/thefinregblo...-banks-shying-away-from-marijuana-businesses/

http://www.desertsun.com/story/mone.../marijuana-banking-taxes-california/96217120/

http://www.calbankers.com/post/frequently-asked-questions-marijuana-and-banking

Fair enough. In theory the state - or a person from that state - could sue the US to get this overturned.

Dazzler

Vancouver has had semi-legal weed for a while now so not much will change on the west coast. Although growing your own does sound cool, I'll definitely try that.

aren't they the main cause of all the hospitalizations each 4/20 day?

kids who've never done edibles before getting WAY too high and not being able to cope

Gilby

aren't they the main cause of all the hospitalizations each 4/20 day?

kids who've never done edibles before getting WAY too high and not being able to cope

The vendors downtown have switched to smaller edibles the past few years (chocolates, candies, tiny cookies), and they tell people to take one, wait an hour, then take some more if they need it. Doesn't stop you from being an idiot if you're determined to take too much, but that's pretty hard to stop.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Not all Quebecois want their province turn into a country. I like Canada as a whole

I didn't mean that to cause offence, I just meant it in a valuing autonomy sort of way.

Quebecers tend to not want everything to be decided in Ontario, and the West is with you on that even if the Maritimes aren't. A reasonable degree of federalism is necessary in such a large country.

djkimothy

It didn't really work out for them and it only worked out for his wife who is Canadian through her father.

I'm not to familiar with the process but if the wife was granted citizenship, then could that process eventually lead to Randy's citizenship?

Pancake Mix

I'm not to familiar with the process but if the wife was granted citizenship, then could that process eventually lead to Randy's citizenship?

I don't know anything about the case, but I do know that would give him general right of abode as the spouse of a Canadian.

mlclmtckr

Banned
And 'religious visions' aren't a thing with thc. About the greatest hallucinogenic effect is time dilation.

As I understand it was combined with sleep deprivation, fasting, prayer, and special rituals.

I mean (the story goes) the ancient assassins would get initiates really high on hash and then take them to a beautiful garden full of naked women and delicious food and tell them it was literally heaven they were visiting. I don't know how often that worked but it shows how altered it's technically possible to get on just weed.

As I understand it was combined with sleep deprivation, fasting, prayer, and special rituals.

I mean (the story goes) the ancient assassins would get initiates really high on hash and then take them to a beautiful garden full of naked women and delicious food and tell them it was literally heaven they were visiting. I don't know how often that worked but it shows how altered it's technically possible to get on just weed.

Sounds more like psilocybin shrooms or mescaline to me.

IISANDERII

I'm ok with this, if they regulate it like cigarettes in public places.

Also, some people should be a little more wary of the health consequences of smoking pot. There are risks but for some it is a miraculous herb that cures everything... give me a break.
Nah. If people aren't wary of the health consequences of alcohol or McDonalds, then they shouldn't be worried about weed.

I'm ok with this, if they regulate it like cigarettes in public places.

Also, some people should be a little more wary of the health consequences of smoking pot. There are risks but for some it is a miraculous herb that cures everything... give me a break.

Its not a miracle cure but it does have some mind blowing reactions for Parkinson disease sufferers also patients of multiple sclerosis

oh, you don't know man. i remember eating too big of a chunk of that shit and i was so fucked up on the subway that i had to resort to praying to god in my head that i would be okay.

Pancake Mix

Nah. If people aren't wary of the health consequences of alcohol or McDonalds, then they shouldn't be worried about weed.

Inhaling burnt plant matter isn't terribly good (an understatement) for your lungs, there's a bit of research on this.

Luckily the sin taxes will help pay for the health care costs of that, but people should still be aware and worried. Smoking is never good, and something being organic does not actually negate that the way some think it does.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I wonder if we find out what the provincial plans will be tomorrow, this is probably just going to be about federal. Last I heard they're going to aim to legalize it even earlier, to not interfere with the very important Canada day. Probably a good idea.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Interesting ... good news. Honestly, I'd say it's the first thing the Liberals will do that I agree with.

What about the investment in AI? Or the middle income tax cut? Or the improvements to EI? Or the national Park visits being free? Or the overturning the scientist muzzle? Any of that? I have more good things

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

This is actually a pretty conservative assessment too; the MSM blood donation ban is marked as "Failed" because the Liberals loosened the ban without removing it entirely; the green infrastructure promise is marked as "Failed" because the Liberals invested $5 billion above current levels rather than $6 billion above current levels as they promised; the co-op hiring plan is failed because they funded it at $73 million over 4 years and promised $40 million a year; Syrian refugee admission is marked failed because the promise was 25,000 by the end of 2015 and we hit 2015 in February 2016; scrapping the F-35 jet purchase is marked as failed because they haven't yet pulled out of the contract, even though they also haven't bought any F-35s and they do have an office set up to look for a different jet to purchase.

I think probably the better classification would be:
- Not yet started
- Blown off (for stuff that isn't yet started but is now dramatically later than it was supposed to be)
- In progress
- Good faith success (for stuff like the MSM blood donation ban repeal and the green infrastructure stuff)
- Complete success

yeah. so you can tell why i was freaking out.

although some people i talk to tell me i was just being paranoid. if the cops were out to get me they wouldn't have waited. they'd come right up to me and that'd be a wrap.

Marijuana is a misdemeanor in NYC. If you have under an 8th, which i can't imagine anyone carrying more unless they have a serious problem or are a drug dealer, you are only fined, and the fine is insanely low.

http://statelaws.findlaw.com/new-york-law/new-york-marijuana-laws.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom