• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadians crack down on guns, alarmed by flow from U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuur

Wow, I want to live in Canada.

Sounds like night/day from the gun hungry nut crowd we have in America.

I mean, we have gun culture here too, particularly in the prairies. They're just not quite as vocal and there is less anti-government sentiment here.

I mean, place with the least amount of homophobia.
Montreal
You can walk at 3am after bars close, walk home drunk and not worry about getting jumped, shot or mugged

Montreal`s Gay Village's main street becomes a pedestrian street in the summer with the businesses being able to use the sidewalk with tables and kiosks

but winters suck!

darscot

I think one of Canada's strongest gun laws is small capacity mags.

On the homophobic side topic, your really splitting hairs in any Canadian city. They are all safe and progressive and its really not an issue. People that are against it are the minority and they know it so you don't see anything anti publicly.

RPGCrazied

Montreal
You can walk at 3am after bars close, walk home drunk and not worry about getting jumped, shot or mugged

Montreal`s Gay Village's main street becomes a pedestrian street in the summer with the businesses being able to use the sidewalk with tables and kiosks

but winters suck!

Sounds nice. Though I don't drink. Yeah, hard to go anywhere in public anymore without the fear of getting hurt. Why I never go out at night or alone anymore.

GhaleonEB

Handguns in Canada are mostly forbidden — with an exception for types used for target shooting. So are machine guns, silencers and large magazines. Semiautomatics are heavily restricted.

To obtain a gun license, Canadians must go through extensive background checks that include criminal-record and mental health checks as well as interviews with family members and former spouses. The application process can take up to six months.
So this is what sane gun policy looks like. Neato.

Where is a good place for a gay guy to live?

In downtown Toronto, I've seen enough same sex couples holding hands walking around almost as if it's heterosexuality thats considered out of the ordinary. Especially in the church St. Area, which is known for its high LGBT population.

Also: our Prime Minister is going to be marching in the Pride Parade in Toronto this year and is the first Prime Minister of Canada to do so. Super dope of him.

Tabris

I think we have a pretty fair system, and based on our crime statistics, I'd say its been working. This is a bit of a rambling post, but I find a lot of people online assume that Canada has England-style gun restrictions.

Here's what's required for a PAL though:

1) Canadian Firearm Safety Course, which covers the following:

the evolution of firearms, major parts, types and actions;
basic firearms safety practices;
ammunition;
operating firearm actions;
safe handling and carry procedures;
firing techniques and procedures;
care of non-restricted firearms;
responsibilities of the firearms owner/user; and,
safe storage, display, transportation and handling of non-restricted firearms.

There's another course for restricted guns (which you mentioned).

2) Must submit a passport-style photo that has a guarantor signature and government id.

3) Must have no criminal record or any reported violence incidents (whether charged or not) over the last 5 years.

4) Must not have any medical history in relation to mental health and addiction over last 5 years.

5) Must provide 2 references that will be interviewed that you have known over 3 years and is not your conjugal partner.

6) The application has a fee.

That's all pretty strict and obstructs a lot of people from getting a gun.

diaspora

That's all pretty strict and obstructs a lot of people from getting a gun.
Yep. It outright restricts ownership from the mentally ill and people with a criminal history- which would include people who have misused firearms. It also dis-incentivizes casual ownership which I think is a very good thing as the only people who are likely to acquire licenses are people with good records, mentally stable, and are serious about gun ownership.

Tabris

Basically, with restrictions like that, you cover out the following:

1) People with known mental health, addiction, violent incident, or criminal history.
2) People who are too lazy to go through training course and apply and/or fail the training course
3) People who don't have references to interview
4) People without ID

Then what that should do is make it so you a smaller customer base. Which decreases the amount of guns being purchased, which increases the price, which further reduces amount of people who can afford a gun and also significantly increases the black market cost of the gun.

The issue is the fact US doesn't have this (except in some states / cities) and you can just go to a Walmart and buy a gun with no issue, then bring it those states / cities and Canada. So the flow of guns keeps the black market prices low in Canada.

If it wasn't for the US, the black market price for guns in Canada would be very expensive, like it is in countries like Australia. This would reduce murder rates.

Tabris

I find it funny that ex spouses need to be interviewed.

You need to declare on your application whether you've experienced any of the following in the last 2 years:

Job Loss
Divorce
Seperation
Bankruptcy
Significant breakdown of a relationship

It makes complete sense, as it's usually incidents like this that are a catalyst for domestic gun violence.

Dishwalla

Banned
Yeah well you Canadians may have gun laws that actually make sense, but do you guys have a second amendment? Where's all your freedom?

No but seriously I wish we had gun laws like that here. Though I think it's funny something called an "anti-tank rifle" is easier to operate than a handgun. What the hell do you use an anti-tank rifle for?

diaspora

Basically, with restrictions like that, you cover out the following:

1) People with known mental health, addiction, violent incident, or criminal history.
2) People who are too lazy to go through training course and apply and/or fail the training course
3) People who don't have references to interview
4) People without ID

Then what that should do is make it so you a smaller customer base. Which decreases the amount of guns being purchased, which increases the price, which further reduces amount of people who can afford a gun and also significantly increases the black market cost of the gun.

The issue is the fact US doesn't have this (except in some states / cities) and you can just go to a Walmart and buy a gun with no issue, then bring it those states / cities and Canada. So the flow of guns keeps the black market prices low in Canada.

If it wasn't for the US, the black market price for guns in Canada would be very expensive, like it is in countries like Australia. This would reduce murder rates.

Pruning out filthy casuals is also a good way to keep from falling into the wrong hands too.

GhostBed

Yep. It outright restricts ownership from the mentally ill and people with a criminal history- which would include people who have misused firearms. It also dis-incentivizes casual ownership which I think is a very good thing as the only people who are likely to acquire licenses are people with good records, mentally stable, and are serious about gun ownership.

Which is incredible. Casual gun ownership in the US is one of our biggest problems. A lot of people are scared of getting jumped, robbed, attacked etc. and so people are buying guns like crazy right now, despite those fears being completely unfounded. Most of those guns will be used to kill their spouses, kids, friends, co-workers, bosses, or themselves.

There's also the insane rhetoric that guns are on their way out, so people feel the need to buy a gun now because they think it's their last chance. I sell guns to folks everyday and a big thing people cite when making a purchase is their fear of "Obama sending the military to my house to take my guns." Right-wing and NRA fear propaganda have gone a long way for a casual gun use in these past few years.

But anyways, yeah. Gun restrictions. They're great.

diaspora

Which is incredible. Casual gun ownership in the US is one of our biggest problems. A lot of people are scared of getting jumped, robbed, attacked etc. and so people are buying guns like crazy right now, despite those fears being completely unfounded. Most of those guns will be used to kill their spouses, kids, friends, co-workers, bosses, or themselves.

There's also the insane rhetoric that guns are on their way out, so people feel the need to buy a gun now because they think it's their last chance. I sell guns to folks everyday and a big thing people cite when making a purchase is their fear of "Obama sending the military to my house to take my guns." Right-wing and NRA fear propaganda have gone a long way for a casual gun use in these past few years.

Yep. It was shown earlier in the thread too that the guns you can own if you demonstrate that you're serious about gun ownership is reasonably extensive. I think the sentiment is that even if you're mentally sound and have a clean record, if you're not willing to go through the test to get a license you're not serious or mature enough to own these machines in the first place.

BeesEight

Kinda surprised this is a new thing honestly.

It's not. The big border "tensions" between the countries is the marijuana being smuggled from Canada to the States and the guns being brought up here.

From my point of view, it's hardly an equitable trade.

Also: our Prime Minister is going to be marching in the Pride Parade in Toronto this year and is the first Prime Minister of Canada to do so. Super dope of him.

Ha, I love how our Prime Minister can get these jabs in on Harper by just being a regular human being.

I fucking hate the NRA. Fear-mongering is disgusting on its own, but the NRA takes it to new levels. The absolute worst part is how many people genuinely believe that Obama will send the military to take away private property.

I wish we had the same restrictions and gun laws that Canada has, all I had to do for my FOID was send in a picture, fill out a form, wait a little bit, and that was that. I'd be more than okay with a process like Canada.

Darkangel

I think one of Canada's strongest gun laws is small capacity mags.

On the homophobic side topic, your really splitting hairs in any Canadian city. They are all safe and progressive and its really not an issue. People that are against it are the minority and they know it so you don't see anything anti publicly.

The whole magazine restriction thing is actually a complete farce.

For any non-Canadians browsing, the default magazine restrictions are 5 rounds for a rifle, and 10 rounds for a handgun. Thanks to a hilarious loophole, Canadians are allowed to legally triple their rifle magazine capacity.

Rifle magazines in Canada can only be sold if they're chambered to hold 5 rounds of whatever bullet they're designed to hold. For instance, a magazine designed to hold 5 .50 caliber rounds is legal, while a magazine designed to hold 15 .223 caliber rounds is prohibited. A Beowulf magazine is legal low-capacity rifle magazine that is chambered to hold 5 .50 caliber rounds. Since the law restricts magazine capacity based on the ammunition it is designed to hold, and not what it can theoretically hold, people are legally allowed to load up 15 smaller caliber bullets (.223) into a 5 round .50 cal Beowulf mag.

Just load up the magazine with a non-recommended ammunition type and presto, you have a completely legal 15 round assault rifle. The RCMP has even gone on record saying there's nothing wrong with doing so.

Alternately, you can legally use a 10 round pistol magazine in a rifle so long as it fits.

Mimosa97

In downtown Toronto, I've seen enough same sex couples holding hands walking around almost as if it's heterosexuality thats considered out of the ordinary. Especially in the church St. Area, which is known for its high LGBT population.

I love how Trudeau gives 0 fucks lmao

diaspora

He was at the 2014 World Pride in Toronto IIRC. I was photographing the event.

For any non-Canadians browsing, the default magazine restrictions are 5 rounds for a rifle, and 10 rounds for a handgun. Thanks to a hilarious loophole, Canadians are allowed to legally triple their rifle magazine capacity.

Rifle magazines in Canada can only be sold if they're chambered to hold 5 rounds of whatever bullet they're designed to hold. For instance, a magazine designed to hold 5 .50 caliber rounds is legal, while a magazine designed to hold 15 .223 caliber rounds is prohibited. A Beowulf magazine is legal low-capacity rifle magazine that is chambered to hold 5 .50 caliber rounds. Since the law restricts magazine capacity based on the ammunition it is designed to hold, and not what it can theoretically hold, people are legally allowed to load up 15 smaller caliber bullets (.223) into a 5 round .50 cal Beowulf mag.

Just load up the magazine with a non-recommended ammunition type and presto, you have a completely legal 15 round assault rifle. The RCMP has even gone on record saying there's nothing wrong with doing so.

Alternately, you can legally use a 10 round pistol magazine in a rifle so long as it fits.

I don't think the magazine sizes make any difference either, mostly its in how the laws are designed to restrict licenses and by extension ownership to stable, mature, well-adjusted individuals.

Aikidoka

Well doesn't the U.S. also have restrictions and testing requirements? I think the biggest difference may be that the U.S. has lots of loopholes that make the requirements essentially void. Also, the background checks is Canada actually sound legit compared to the 10 minute phonecall Wal-Mart makes in the U.S.

Dennis

Banned
YPTRS-41 Soviet Anti-Tank Rifle

ptrs_1.jpg

For when you need that moose to really die.

Darkangel

My general view on gun laws is that licensing requirements should be rigorous, but once you get one you should be fairly free to buy whatever. I think Canada's laws work well, but there are definitely a few changes I would make.

I'm surprised a Tavor isn't restricted, but a longer, older design AR is. Must be the look.

Anyone who takes the time to seriously look into Canada's gun laws will tell you that some of them make absolutely no sense. I mean, I can theoretically fire an anti-tank gun from my deck, yet shooting a can with a 9mm pistol on a 50 acre property is a massive felony.

There are also situations where a rifle is restricted or prohibited simply based on the look or material of its grip. Some of the classifications are just completely arbitrary.

diaspora

My general view on gun laws is that licensing requirements should be rigorous, but once you get one you should be fairly free to buy whatever. I think Canada's laws work well, but there are definitely a few changes I would make.

Anyone who takes the time to seriously look into Canada's gun laws will tell you that some of them make absolutely no sense. I mean, I can theoretically fire an anti-tank gun from my deck, yet shooting cans with a 9mm pistol on a 50 acre property is a massive felony.

There are also situations where a rifle is restricted or prohibited simply based on the look or material of the grip. Some of the classifications are just completely arbitrary.

Sure, they're hardly perfect with IMO the lions share of issues being centered around what you can own, and do with them but the fundamental principles behind licensing requirements I think are sound.

darscot

I didn't say you cant circumvent the law, but I for one like the idea that your average joe has a limit number of rounds. This loop hole is not a major concern for me, any truly motivated individual will find a way. I've converted semi to full auto its not like its hard to do.

Oppo

Behold, Americans. What your country would look like without the NRA. It's the Bizarro Universe version, right in front of you.

The hilarious part is crazy pro NRA folks like Ted Nugent have been coming to Canada to hunt for decades, and would rail against Canada's gun laws. But they're really oriented towards hunting, and since the gun deaths are so low, the self defence argument makes you look like an enormous pussy, up here.

No offence to pussies. as Betty White pointed out, those things can take a real pounding.

Oppo

Tabris, I agree with you on this, and you are right, but humility is another Canadian ethic that you missed the boat on somehow ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom