• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Timesplitters Game Images Leaked

um some of those designs are problematic
None of that matters anymore...

200w.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A time splitters game doesn’t make sense if the demand isn’t there the world we live in is COD, COD, and COD.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
A time splitters game doesn’t make sense if the demand isn’t there the world we live in is COD, COD, and COD.

Semi-true. cod and fortnite, which make tons of money, are arcadey 60fps shooter games with tons of skins. Those are all things that Timesplitters excels at. This is the fault of the publisher not the IP.

Neither does remastering old Turok games or remaking System Shock, but sometimes all it takes is a passionate enough studio and a decent enough publisher for things to happen. We were missing one half of that.

Free Radical Design had plans to revive the classic TimeSplitters shooter franchise. Unfortunately it looks like this will never come to fruition, as they were recently closed by Embracer Group.

With the studio having been closed and the project possibly dead, concept art for the new game ended up appearing on the internet, at least giving fans of the franchise a taste of what they could have received.

101505.jpg

101513.jpg

101507.jpg
101517.jpg

101512.jpg
101511.jpg

101514.jpg
101515.jpg
101516.jpg

Source with More Images
So mad this got cancelled, fuck Embracer.

MAtgS

Do your thing, Nintendo.
It does seem like most people's nostalgia for this series is specifically TS2 on GCN (I had it on PS2 myself). The trilogy getting an HD collection on Switch was something I was hoping for.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Most of the games I didn't like, only the missions that aped GoldenEye with stealth action and objectives and what not, but it seemed those were the minority as they were trying to offer more variety and switch up the gameplay to weird stuff like being chased or whatever in that one jungle level.

I guess the local split screen multiplayer stuff were also cool and a big thing in that same GoldenEye way but nowadays it's all about online and folks prefer other less simplistic/pure/deathmatchy types of games for that anyway.

I hope this will scratch the itch for the former at least (but it does both) even without contemporary visuals, it looks way better than The Spy who Shot Me at least.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

It does seem like most people's nostalgia for this series is specifically TS2 on GCN (I had it on PS2 myself). The trilogy getting an HD collection on Switch was something I was hoping for.
The nostalgia for me comes from GameCube. Right now I can emulate both TS2 and Future Perfect on Dolphin since I own physical copies of both games. I also own physical copies of Golden Eye and Perfect Dark and can also enjoy those via emulation along with a full PC port of PD. Still, there's something exciting that goes beyond nostalgia when it comes to these style of games. That's what makes them all classics in their own right.

You just don't see much of the old school design philosophies offered in games like this any more. Things like tiered objectives that's based on skill level, local multiplayer, local co-op story mode, unlockables, and actual in game cheats.

I do commend Microsoft for keeping these games alive, because they are the only active platform supporting all 4 of these games on XBox, but I just can't bring myself to pay for another system or invest in another ecosystem(Switch and PC is enough for me). It is pretty tempting though considering the lower price point to get a Series S and X lately.

I do look forward to Agent 64 on PC and Timesplitters Rewind if it ever comes out though.
CSA9OLh.jpg

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Most of the games I didn't like, only the missions that aped GoldenEye with stealth action and objectives and what not, but it seemed those were the minority as they were trying to offer more variety and switch up the gameplay to weird stuff like being chased or whatever in that one jungle level.

I guess the local split screen multiplayer stuff were also cool and a big thing in that same GoldenEye way but nowadays it's all about online and folks prefer other less simplistic/pure/deathmatchy types of games for that anyway.

I hope this will scratch the itch for the former at least (but it does both) even without contemporary visuals, it looks way better than The Spy who Shot Me at least.

Damn, they even got the same hit sounds lol. Gonna try it for sure.

WitchHunter

Banned
Just the usual child stuck in an adult's body, look how cool looking I am visuals. Good thing it got cancelled. Time to bring in some real people, who look ugly, bath only once in a week, do not wash hands after dumping and have unkempt face, and stubble, problematic teeth and sleep with razors in their mouth.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

Our gaming media is such trash. Why is no one asking the right questions here?

Why was the game cancelled? How far along in the process was it? Were there issues with quality, cost, timelines? Is it dead forever? What now?

Embracer aren’t complete idiots, if this game was going well it would not have been cancelled just to cut costs. Embracer have/had over 200 game in development, if this was going well they’d be cancelling/cutting elsewhere.

Last edited:

CamHostage

From what I understand, the version of "Free Radical" that was making this game is akin to going to a "Rolling Stones" concert with none of the original band members.

In this case, that's incorrect. David Doak and Steve Ellis were brought back together to lead this new Free Radical team, and not only were they FR founders, they go back to the Rare days. I don't know if or how many TS vets there were beyond that though.

We as hobbyists need to learn actual names of devs and lose our attachment to the names of studios. Too many times it's not a good representation of who is actually making the game.

But you're ultimately right to temper excitement for old things being rebooted and reunions working on classic brands. It can go great, but time and taste and budgets and support all change, and the alchemy which made the originals work isn't always the same formula later. It's like being excited for a Pixies reuinion but expecting new music to be another Surfer Rosa; these things aren't an exact science that you can reconstitute.

Last edited:

Griffon

Interview with an anonymous employee:

The direction of the project changed earlier this year [2023] around March. We did a massive 180 into a TS2 Remake(ish). Remake with a few new/slightly changed levels and an alternate timeline story. Originally it was a Fortnite clone. Nobody wanted that really, not even us, but we didn't have much of a choice for a long time.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Sony is awful. They won't even give a game a chance unless it's guarenteed to have a ridiculous metacritic score. I would rather give it to a small indie dev who actually cares about the IP.
If Sony wouldn’t give games a chance, we might never have seen Souls take off.

Sony initally only released 700K copies of Demon's Souls because they didn’t expect much from it.

Then again, Sony has different leadership now.

LOL. It just got turned into a TS game any of us would've actually wanted earlier this year? Good riddance, nvm. It wouldn't have been good, anyway. Or if it ever might have some day been good, it would've taken *years* from now to turn out that way. Ugh what a waste of time.

Last edited:
If Sony wouldn’t give games a chance, we might never have seen Souls take off.

Sony initally only released 700K copies of Demon's Souls because they didn’t expect much from it.

Then again, Sony has different leadership now.
Sony was great under Kaz's leadership. Now they are doing things like putting DRM in DVD drives and trying to make it a violation of thier user license to trade/sell games. Not to mention that if a game doesn't knock it out of the park they just kill the entire series. They are actually making Microsoft look pro consumer which i never thought i would say. Nevertheless, i hope someone picks up Time Splitters. It's to great of a series to just die.

Last edited:
Top Bottom