• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: All games will be "social" in the future; monetization involved

Despite the fierce resistance of a segment of gamers, the inclusion of social elements in games is increasingly more common. In an interview published on their own website, Capcom, through Kazunori Sugiura (who oversees all online games and social applications), said that in their opinion all games will be “basically social” at some point.

"The definition of social games is different from person to person. One may think that gacha (the mechanism of selling random in-game items) is synonymous with social games, and another may think that social games are card battles. At Capcom, we define social games as means for facilitating communication among users and something in which game elements and monetization are involved. From this standpoint, we think that all games will be basically social in future.

In the next-generation home video game consoles, users are more and more closely linked to each other online, as in mobile devices and personal computers. I think games in the future will be required to be social in some way."
At any rate, Sugiura reckons that Capcom creators aren’t preemptively limited by a certain platform in their process:

"As game creators, we come up with an exciting game and then determine which platform is best suited for it, instead of thinking, “It’s a social game so let’s make it for smartphones”. I think the market is evolving this way."
http://www.worldsfactory.net/2014/01/10/capcom-all-games-will-be-social-future

Nibel

it5v8bEBL9U35.gif

Riki

Nope. Fuck you Capcom. Fuck you and everything you stand for. I'm not paying you for a game just to have to pay you more to actually enjoy that game.

The next installation of MegaMan Battle Network...

MegaMan Social Network.

Lan and MegaMan.EXE deal with the terrors of online bullying from Wily's Grandson.

RS4-

Don't worry guys, get your quarters ready and line up for your turn in Ultra Super Street Fighter Reloaded ABCD IV

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
By being unceremoniously murdered, Mega Man has been spared this terrible fat---

*looks at Rockman Xover*

Drats.

"The definition of social games is different from person to person. One may think that gacha (the mechanism of selling random in-game items) is synonymous with social games, and another may think that social games are card battles. At Capcom, we define social games as means for facilitating communication among users and something in which game elements and monetization are involved. From this standpoint, we think that all games will be basically social in future.

FUCK YOU, VERY MUCH.

Man... I remember when my dad rented the first Megaman for me when I was sick for school one day. It was one of the best days ever, and I learned that blue and gold logo meant something. Oh how Capcom has changed. WTF, Capcom? WTF?

Orayn

More social games in the sense of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls or SP games with Steam Workshop support = Awesome

"Social" games as viewed by Capcom and Square Enix = Some real sick, twisted shit

Capcom should remove unlimited continues from future fighting games and make you pay 25 cents to continue in order to bring that arcade-feel to your home.

Jesus. This really seems like it will be the defining generation for indies, especially with the way some of the big AAA companies are going.

Nibiru

Banned
By "social" I hope they just mean multiplayer because young people are abandoning Facebook in droves it's now like the thing their parents use.

injurai

Banned
Why hasn't the social bubble burst!?!?!

It's like an infinite well you can tap. You just have to pump out the newest fad.

Tecl0n

I can see the bright future.

DMC V.

Unlock subweapons by adding your friends in the facebook app!
Add Showtime and Stylish to your style meter for only 2.99 EACH!
Is a level too hard? Buy Gold Orbs for only 0.99 each and continue in the spot where you got killed.

Ivieto

Banned
If they are right (which I think they are), then this a very smart move to recognize right now and not try to change later on.

Seriously, can you imagine this integrated into an Ace Attorney game?

I mean, those are essentially interactive books. Y'know, books have existed for thousands of years without any "social" features. I really do think it ought to stay that way.

Danlord

From the other Capcom thread earlier today;

PR speak for microtransactions to finish the game. This is their preemptive damage control, believe.

Well done, you called it. This isn't good, at all. After all my hope for a new Monster Hunter for PS3 and a decent Resident Evil, I now think I am never going to get a good Monster Hunter (for PS4) or any good Resident Evil when this attitude is going to be prevalent in their future business plans for all console releases, because it has already infested western developers and whilst they can't be as liberal as how Polyphony Digital implemented it as a simple means of alleviating the long grind that GT can be, I think they will sacrifice gameplay elements and design to accommodate them, BUT...I will still take interest in their products from afar, I just won't buy anything from them unless I am satisfied that the game hasn't been butchered to squeeze more money out of me, because here in the UK, PS4 games are £47+, with only a small handful that are less than that.

Kyuur

The next installation of MegaMan Battle Network...

MegaMan Social Network.

Lan and MegaMan.EXE deal with the terrors of online bullying from Wily's Grandson.

Of all the games that could become social games, I think the Battle Network games would be a pretty good choice if done right (and yes, F2P games can be 'done right', they aren't inherently bad).

Top Bottom