• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: DmC "posted solid sales", Capcom still using outsourcing

LordJim

I really liked it. It's unfortunate those who liked the older style are so vocal against this take on the series, because considering Capcom's track record with their IPs, I doubt that they'd make another DMC game if there is no demand for a sequel. Were there similar reactions to Metroid Prime for example?

Disregarding visuals, story, characters, music, extra platforming etc:
The game was a stepback in almost everything gameplay related that 3 and 4 brought to the series, not even counting other great entries to the genre (Bayo, NG etc).
Even if it is not horrible overall, it's just nothing special to suggest over other good games. Except for maybe 'If you suck at action games, here is one you can finish and (not) feel proud of yourself'.

For all the issues 4 had as a game compared to 3, there is a reason people do not disregard it

emag

I only ever played the first 2! Never got to play ones with actors faces in them. However that definitely poses as a problem. I liked the combat, it seemed so dumb and simple at first but figuring out things like issun (? or am I mixing up Okami here..) issum? whatever it was, that was damn tricky.

Also, digital movement? First 15 minutes "what is this crap!!!" hours and hours later, couldn't imaging playing it with analog, so weird.

The first three games all used famous actors' faces. The third game offered analog, camera-based control as well.

V_Arnold

I think that there is a lot of agendas being pushed around and exaggerations used when discussing DmC's quality or where the franchise goes.

I would say that the "lowest" DMC as a franchise got was EXACTLY two or three weeks before the game's release, when the only indication of the game's quality was the demo and a few badly edited, vulgarism-based trailers.

But I am pretty sure that the majority of those that bought DmC actually enjoyed it. If you were against it from the first place, you most likely did not buy it. But upon release, DmC did many things right. The whole game was WAY less vulgar/simple than the demo bits suggested, the Vergil DLC was simply phenomenal, gameplay-wise AND art-wise as well, the PC version could not be more better if they tried to, and the patches improved a bit on the style issues as well (although not as much as it would have needed, but that is a whole different debate).

Just like when a bad FF game might have had the successful prequel's positive momentum to ride on, and then its sequel suffer from its bad qualities, so I am absolutely sure that no matter what will follow DmC, it will have better sales and a positive momentum to ride.

If it is DmC2, it will be because NT has proven that they CAN create a good game, and any sequel can only speed up the combat, fix the obvious issues, and spend little to zero time on estabilishing Dante as a character (not to mention potentially years passing, giving us a more mature Dante :p)
And if it is DMC5, it will be because Capcom can bathe in the positive applaud from the most vocal fanbase of the genre, and they can say "we listen", which, luckily ,seems to be a positive thing to say if you are a not-so-loved company with oh-so-loved franchises.

Big0Bear

Well I just recently finished DmC and being a og DMC fan I thought the game was just ok, good but nothing special. Playing as dante was fun but didnt feel right and didnt care for the DT mechanic. The fall of Vergil DLC was half asses, it was not as much fun playing as him and the story seemed really forced.

If capcom would have finished the og story line maybe this game would have been received better but I cant r say I care much about this franchise anymore.

kick51

Banned
I think that there is a lot of agendas being pushed around and exaggerations used when discussing DmC's quality or where the franchise goes.

I would say that the "lowest" DMC as a franchise got was EXACTLY two or three weeks before the game's release, when the only indication of the game's quality was the demo and a few badly edited, vulgarism-based trailers.

But I am pretty sure that the majority of those that bought DmC actually enjoyed it. If you were against it from the first place, you most likely did not buy it. But upon release, DmC did many things right. The whole game was WAY less vulgar/simple than the demo bits suggested, the Vergil DLC was simply phenomenal, gameplay-wise AND art-wise as well, the PC version could not be more better if they tried to, and the patches improved a bit on the style issues as well (although not as much as it would have needed, but that is a whole different debate).

Just like when a bad FF game might have had the successful prequel's positive momentum to ride on, and then its sequel suffer from its bad qualities, so I am absolutely sure that no matter what will follow DmC, it will have better sales and a positive momentum to ride.

If it is DmC2, it will be because NT has proven that they CAN create a good game, and any sequel can only speed up the combat, fix the obvious issues, and spend little to zero time on estabilishing Dante as a character (not to mention potentially years passing, giving us a more mature Dante :p)
And if it is DMC5, it will be because Capcom can bathe in the positive applaud from the most vocal fanbase of the genre, and they can say "we listen", which, luckily ,seems to be a positive thing to say if you are a not-so-loved company with oh-so-loved franchises.

But this game sold a lot worse than any other game in the franchise. Also, they have a LOT more to do than just polishing up the combat a little. They are incapable of making a worthy entry into the series without outside help. They couldn't even do it with outside help on DmC.

wizzbang

Banned
You guys keep on railing on the game and I strongly suspect you're fans of the original game(s). Many of us I suspect come new to the franchise. Does that mean the old ones could be better? Maybe, sure that's possible.

However I liked almost everything about DmC, I liked the combat, I thought the silly demon story was surprisingly well done, I thought the writing, editing was crisp and tight, not too serious, not too silly. If you told me the game was Japanese I'd believe you.

I enjoyed the game and would gladly buy a sequel. Yes some people who picked it up didn't like it but overall reviews are positive for the game. As word slowly gets out about the quality of the game, it seems likely Capcom may cash in on that.

V_Arnold

But this game sold a lot worse than any other game in the franchise. Also, they have a LOT more to do than just polishing up the combat a little. They are incapable of making a worthy entry into the series without outside help. They couldn't even do it with outside help on DmC.

This game sold badly for a multitude of reasons. Only one of them was the lack of high-level polish or style system issues. It has more to do with DMC only being represented by a -outside of the gameplay itself - quite frankly not so great DMC4 and then years of silence. Other is negativity surrounding NT, the dev team (partially for all the right reasons - lack of pedigree -, partially for all the wrong reasons - "Fuck Tameem, he made Dante's hair after his own, yo! Let us post pictures of that for WEEKS!").

It also launched dangerously close to MGR, and came at the end cycle of two consoles, in a space where japanese-style action games are on their way out largely in the West. Outside of a very dedicated, moderately sized fanbase, half of whom were quite pissed at DmC.

Top Bottom