• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom puts anti-cracking rootkit in Street Fighter 5 PC version update

petran79

Banned
From Steam user forums. In case Capcom.sys stays in the System32 folder this is the most convenient way to delete it. Or else you have to log into safe mode and delete it manually:

-Download and run NirSoft's Installed Drivers List
-Look for the driver labelled "Capcom"
-If it's NOT in the list you don't have it installed and have nothing to worry about (go about your day and don't boot SFV until they fix it)
-If it IS in the list, right-click it and select "Open in regedit"
-Once regedit opens, the driver will already be selected
-Delete it and restart your PC
-Open IDL to confirm that it's been removed

Way too easy and hasslefree for the average PC user. I felt like going back in time to early 2000

vg260

Capcom needs to issue some sort of remover tool.

There have to be people who don't follow this news and are still at risk.

Sheroking

From Steam user forums. In case Capcom.sys stays in the System32 folder this is the most convenient way to delete it. Or else you have to log into safe mode and delete it manually:

-Download and run NirSoft's Installed Drivers List
-Look for the driver labelled "Capcom"
-If it's NOT in the list you don't have it installed and have nothing to worry about (go about your day and don't boot SFV until they fix it)
-If it IS in the list, right-click it and select "Open in regedit"
-Once regedit opens, the driver will already be selected
-Delete it and restart your PC
-Open IDL to confirm that it's been removed

Way too easy and hasslefree for the average PC user. I felt like going back in time to early 2000

I mean... I just manually deleted it when I read that I should, I've opened SF5 since and that Driver List doesn't list a Capcom driver.

Am I good, then?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
serious question but why are they still allowed to use Steam? Why hasn't Valve banned them for abusing their system to distribute malware? is there really nothing in place on Steam that would say "hold on, why does game now come with a super sketchy driver the user needs to install?". What's stopping anyone else doing this?

Gren

Capcom you really are incompetent. First for implementing this ass-backwards way of discouraging cheaters, then for not having the decency to actully remove the damn thing when you were forced to backtrack on your plans.

Someone (or a group of people) at Capcom seriously thought it was a good idea create a rootkit for this game? Jesus.

Still kind of interested in getting Dead Rising 1 on Steam, but not so sure now after seeing something like this.

KingBroly

Banned
You think this was all an accident? Cute.

I don't believe it was, either. They wanted to know what mod programs people were using, if any, which in turned opened up a lot of shit. This was hastily slapped together with the purpose of finding out. It's a summation of all SF5 has been so far. Slapped together, rushed, pushed as some kind of standard bearer pushing the industry forward. In reality, SF5's been surpassed multiple times over and their "Efforts" here prove it.

I will not be re-installing Street Fighter 5 on my PC (which I built, which is why I take them putting rootkits and malware on my PC personally). I will not be buying another Capcom game for a very, VERY long time after this shit. I no longer believe they care about me, as a consumer, or the hardware I play them on, unless it's the platform Capcom was paid money to put their game on.

Zackat

I don't believe it was, either. They wanted to know what mod programs people were using, if any, which in turned opened up a lot of shit. This was hastily slapped together with the purpose of finding out. It's a summation of all SF5 has been so far. Slapped together, rushed, pushed as some kind of standard bearer pushing the industry forward. In reality, SF5's been surpassed multiple times over and their "Efforts" here prove it.

I will not be re-installing Street Fighter 5 on my PC (which I built, which is why I take them putting rootkits and malware on my PC personally). I will not be buying another Capcom game for a very, VERY long time after this shit. I no longer believe they care about me, as a consumer, or the hardware I play them on, unless it's the platform Capcom was paid money to put their game on.

stop_dont_come_back_willy_wonka.gif

<3

It is some bullshit though.

Given the history of this game, money is on it being one person that they outsourced everything to for cheap.

Supposedly it contains code from existing malware

That seems a bit dubious to me. Nothing I have been able to find indicates that 'htsysm' (or the seemingly related 'htsysmnt') have anything to do with malware. The names simple turn up in a lot of discussions since it is a driver, and is therefore listed along with all other drivers by malware scanners.

There is actually another game on Steam with htsysm/htsysmnt, namely a defunct MMO by ATLUS, named Pandora Saga:
https://steamdb.info/depot/106011/

And apparently it is also used by some Japanese, online pachinko game:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFigh...tain_capcomsys_was_literally_compiled/d80oyu4

It seems likely to me that it is simply a bit of Japanese developed software that Capcom happened to make use of when developing the 'Capcom.sys' driver. The fact that it is not actually included with SFV suggests to me that it is perhaps a development / debugging aid. So while 'Capcom.sys' is still a terrible idea by any standard, it does not appear to have been sourced from actual malware.

serious question but why are they still allowed to use Steam? Why hasn't Valve banned them for abusing their system to distribute malware? is there really nothing in place on Steam that would say "hold on, why does game now come with a super sketchy driver the user needs to install?". What's stopping anyone else doing this?

Steam should be questioned as well on why they let this through without discovering and stopping it.

NeoFaff

There's old games on steam that still have the original starforce drm in them.

Steam should be questioned as well on why they let this through without discovering and stopping it.

That is probably the least shocking part of this. At this point Valve does not appear to do much, if any, vetting of what developers actually upload. They seemingly only react after-the-fact to anything that happens.

They should give everyone a Season Pass for free after this shit, or some stages, colors and costumes. At least SOMETHING after the continuous fuck ups, I won't take "my bad" from them every time.

Top Bottom