• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom says it would 'gracefully decline' any acquisition offer from Microsoft

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You don't get it.

There is no asking price.

101961.gif

Last edited:

Zuzu

Hopefully. Capcom is on fire with Resident Evil and Monster Hunter & I think Dragon's Dogma is looking really good as well. I wouldn't want anything to ruin the momentum they've got going.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Just for reference:

If Microsoft was determined to takeover Capcom (barring some sort of Japanese government intervention) it could do it. The best Capcom's board and the Tsujimoto family could do is "recommend" shareholders not to accept Microsoft's offer. The top shareholders only control about 37% so Microsoft (directly or through a proxy) could absolutely buy up a large chunk.

That's especially true since Capcom discontinued its takeover defense measures back in 2017.

Obviously the question would be what happens if Microsoft buys Capcom and then there's an exodus and all its talent goes elsewhere.

Varteras

Gold Member
Just for reference:

If Microsoft was determined to takeover Capcom (barring some sort of Japanese government intervention) it could do it. The best Capcom's board and the Tsujimoto family could do is "recommend" shareholders not to accept Microsoft's offer. The top shareholders only control about 37% so Microsoft (directly or through a proxy) could absolutely buy up a large chunk.

That's especially true since Capcom discontinued its takeover defense measures back in 2017.

Obviously the question would be what happens if Microsoft buys Capcom and then there's an exodus and all its talent goes elsewhere.

Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

Even If Microsoft offered double their asking price? I doubt it

What goods is double the asking price if everything you've built turns to shit?

Capcom's stock price today is 17.73. In 2018 it was under 5 dollars.

If you believe in your company and its future and there is more at stake than just the stock price, why would you sell to a company that would certainly torpedo your company?

Microsoft has no fanbase in Japan. Capcom has tried putting games exclusively on Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox, with very poor results. Their fans don't travel.

Just for reference:

I feel like Microsoft would lose a good amount of its "pro consumer" image that Phil Spencer has been trying to build if it pinned down Capcom and went "We're gonna own you whether you like it or not"

Ehh money usually talks, but I'd prefer it if Capcom stayed the way they are or Sony buys them. If MS should buy any Japanese company then it needs to be Sega. They have much more history and benefits since the OG Xbox days.

Money doesn’t really talk in Japanese culture like it does the US

Executive compensation in Japan is far closer to their average employees than compensation in the US. They take more pride in the craft of their work than the money it generates. Selling out would mean losing their identity. There is no amount of money worth that

I think it means they will only accept an equal merger. Capcrosoft™
smile-laughing.gif

No there's no way this is what they mean. That's a massively large overestimation of their value if so. Like an ocean of difference. I'll choose to believe they mean funding help with projects, thus making them exclusive, like SFV.

Last edited:

GHG

Is Capcom not a public company?

Now ask yourself why companies decide to go public.

Nah you don't get how publicly traded companies work. The shareholders decide, if a company pays enough than the CEO cannot say no unless he owns the majority of the shares.

You too.

Imagine thinking that a company being publically listed is equivalent to a company putting themselves up for sale.

Last edited:

ckaneo

Hopefully the CMA grows a pair on the next publisher attempt.
The CMA did grow a pair though. They tried to use faulty math to stop Microsoft from buying Activision. It's not their fault that Sony (and Nintendo) are ahead of Microsoft in gaming enough that buying Activision wouldnt change anything. Which is why they tried to use the cloud market, an unknown market because then they could use actual theoretical numbers cause the number of cloud users in the UK is what? Less than 10,000? lol

Top Bottom