• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Vancouver lays off 7% of staff, but is apparently still hiring

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Jun 6, 2004
Canada
Bloody hell. News is just trickling in. At least two of my colleagues caught up in it, more to come.

Update:

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nov 1, 2009
Worst generation ever. The number of studio foldings and layoffs has been catastrophic.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
I believe so. They haven't announced their next project yet but I know Ono is working with them.
if it is the case then there might be something wrong with the game they are currently working on.

Ridley327

Feb 7, 2005
Sad to hear. Dead Rising 2 turning out as great as it did was one of the most welcome surprises of this gen.

Pooya

Aug 12, 2009
best of luck to those affected. I wonder if that one new IP? they had is canned

lunchwithyuzo

Banned
Jun 20, 2010
Sucks. DR2 was the one western collab of Capcom's that I really liked. Was hoping for a Wii U collection or something. :/

MrDaravon

Mar 24, 2005
Worst generation ever. The number of studio foldings and layoffs has been catastrophic.
There's also been insane growth in both staffing and costs; seems like the bubble was going to burst at some point. Hopefully everyone affected lands on their feet.

SolarPowered

Feb 17, 2009
Good luck to those guys who got let go. It's been a harsh time for the industry. I hope the next round of consoles and business ideas can reduce the frequency of these terrible layoffs.
don't tell me they shipped out ono to capcom vancouver just so they can fire him.
First thing that came to my mind.

Dog Problems

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
RIP Dead Rising. You were one of the best franchises to come from this generation.

Hope those guys find new jobs quick.

jbug617

Banned
Jan 8, 2012
Ono was a producer on Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams and there were rumors of a western studio was working on Onimusha around the time of the Lost Planet 3 debut.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sep 12, 2010
Canada
How in the hell are devs that aren't EA or Activision kind of big going to survive the next-gen?

duckroll

Jun 7, 2004
Ono was a producer on Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams and there were rumors of a western studio was working on Onimusha around the time of the Lost Planet 3 debut.
Yeah but didn't those rumors all line up with the other game the LP3 devs are doing?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Jun 6, 2004
Canada
You work at Capcom Vancouver, Bish?
No, no. I have several friends who do, however. Vancouver software industry is pretty incestuous, nearly everyone who's been doing this for 6+ years has worked together at some point or another, it seems.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 14, 2010
Beaumont, TX
www.neogaf.com
How in the hell are devs that aren't EA or Activision kind of big going to survive the next-gen?
When they're bought BY EA or Activision and live on as one of their many appendages.

But I worry about that shit. A company like Treasure, only has 30-40 something employees. They used to be able to put out a new game every 1-2 years. Now their last new game was in 2008, and they only have the manpower to recreate their classics for XBLA.

feels bad, man